Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 10:28   #16
BHPian

The Basic MMi comes with navigation. Though the MMI is basic, on the dashboard one of the options is for the Satnav. It is not implemented in India yet though. But soon will be.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Cypher, I havnt been able to get in touch with the Audi guys so far. Sorry about that man.
About SATNAV, had enquired about it from Audi itself around a couple of months ago.
A few Germans from Ingolstadt were on a trip to India around that time for terrestrial broadcasting of maps for Navigation systems in Audis across India. They have been working on it for the past year and it should be out somewhere in Q3 2011. They claim so, i hope so
Old 12th October 2010, 11:23   #18
BHPian

The 2.0 petrol Engine is brilliant. It has as much torque as the Diesel which has only 3/4th of its horses. Supposedly brilliantly fast, with 4 cylinder economy. The only said downside could be the FWD layout but I still find the handling of the car amazing.

Ofc, The frosting on top of the cake is the drop dead gorgeous looks!!
Old 12th October 2010, 13:06   #19
BHPian

I have a 2.0 TFSI, about 10 months old - It is a great engine. Don't think twice about it.

Regarding yr questions - here are my answers:

* Best price for the vehicle
* Best insurance rate
* Best rate for Audi Secure

You should be able to negotiate to about 30-31L on road Delhi (Gurgaon is lower, Bombay is higher obviously, no idea abt trivandrum) - with Audi secure. I did.

* Average servicing cost and interval period
Once a year - Rs.1/km - so average about Rs.12-15k
Old 12th October 2010, 18:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
The Basic MMi comes with navigation. Though the MMI is basic, on the dashboard one of the options is for the Satnav. It is not implemented in India yet though. But soon will be.
Quote:
The 2.0 petrol Engine is brilliant. It has as much torque as the Diesel which has only 3/4th of its horses. Supposedly brilliantly fast, with 4 cylinder economy. The only said downside could be the FWD layout but I still find the handling of the car amazing.

Ofc, The frosting on top of the cake is the drop dead gorgeous looks!!
@redeff - I was concerned because the display only shows a few colors (from what I have seen, unlike the A4 3.0TDI, 3.2FSI) and I am not sure how AUDI will implement the nav option or how it would look for that matter. On the beemer it is a full colour display so it will look great and the screen is larger as well. Are you sure that only a S/W update is necessary and that all the required H/W is in place for the 2.0T?

But you are spot on about the looks, puts the 3 to shame from every angle. However, I enjoyed my drive on the 3 more than the A4. I think I need to go on a long drive with the A4 to double check. Man, I am thoroughly confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Cypher, I havnt been able to get in touch with the Audi guys so far. Sorry about that man.
About SATNAV, had enquired about it from Audi itself around a couple of months ago.
A few Germans from Ingolstadt were on a trip to India around that time for terrestrial broadcasting of maps for Navigation systems in Audis across India. They have been working on it for the past year and it should be out somewhere in Q3 2011. They claim so, i hope so
@PlatzdaTurbo - Good to know that the boffins are working on a solution for us Hope it comes sooner than later cause this is one feature I really want. I use nav all the time on my iPhone; without it, I would be lost half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant03 View Post
I have a 2.0 TFSI, about 10 months old - It is a great engine. Don't think twice about it.

Regarding yr questions - here are my answers:

* Best price for the vehicle
* Best insurance rate
* Best rate for Audi Secure

You should be able to negotiate to about 30-31L on road Delhi (Gurgaon is lower, Bombay is higher obviously, no idea abt trivandrum) - with Audi secure. I did.

* Average servicing cost and interval period
Once a year - Rs.1/km - so average about Rs.12-15k
@prashant03 - I am in Bangalore right now and the ex-showroom price quoted to me was 31L with WCI. What is the ex-showroom price in Mumbai and NCR? Keen to know if the price varies between states.

The Jubilant Secure Insurance is about 1.62L. I wanted a breakdown of the insurance rate so that I get a ball park figure, then I can go and haggle about the ex-showroom rate and the insurance.

1. How much for the basic comprehensive insurance?
2. How much do I pay additionally for the secure part?

I will have to shell out the road tax amount on top of this, so that is why I did not want to register the car in Bangalore since the rate stands at 19.8%. That means that the car will work out to 40+L on road - not worth it at all.

P.S. I was told by the BMW Sales Manager that they have bought down the secure rate to about 30K or so. Tempting indeed.
Old 13th October 2010, 00:07   #21
BHPian

Insurance from outside with the secure package will lead to substantial savings. A lot of insurers offer the same services at a lower rate.
Old 15th October 2010, 20:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by __c_y_p_h_e_r__ View Post
@prashant03 - I am in Bangalore right now and the ex-showroom price quoted to me was 31L with WCI. What is the ex-showroom price in Mumbai and NCR? Keen to know if the price varies between states.

The Jubilant Secure Insurance is about 1.62L. I wanted a breakdown of the insurance rate so that I get a ball park figure, then I can go and haggle about the ex-showroom rate and the insurance.

1. How much for the basic comprehensive insurance?
2. How much do I pay additionally for the secure part?

I will have to shell out the road tax amount on top of this, so that is why I did not want to register the car in Bangalore since the rate stands at 19.8%. That means that the car will work out to 40+L on road - not worth it at all.
Get the car insured and registered from outside, dealers often have a cut hence they charge you double, plus paying extra road tax gets you nothing but bigger potholes on our beautiful roads.

I would also advice you to purchase the extended warranty separately as it helps in keeping piece of mind in future. Plus its transferable to another person if you'll be selling the car within the warranty period.

Last edited by funkydevil : 15th October 2010 at 20:14.
Old 16th October 2010, 17:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Insurance from outside with the secure package will lead to substantial savings. A lot of insurers offer the same services at a lower rate.
Got a few quotes and they roughly work out to 55K (Normal) and 75K(Secure) for the 2.0TFSI. Is this an ideal rate or should I be looking for a lower rate?

How much are you paying for your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Get the car insured and registered from outside, dealers often have a cut hence they charge you double, plus paying extra road tax gets you nothing but bigger potholes on our beautiful roads.

I would also advice you to purchase the extended warranty separately as it helps in keeping piece of mind in future. Plus its transferable to another person if you'll be selling the car within the warranty period.
Exactly buddy! I am checking out a few insurance companies, lets see how it pans out.

Do you know how much the extended warranty costs for the 2.0TFSI?
Old 17th October 2010, 00:17   #24
BHPian

75k For secure seems around right. Make sure it's the one with 0% depreciation. They also offer roadside assistance.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:52   #25
BHPian

wow...am I the only 2.0 TFSI owner whose gonna nix this option?

Stick with the 530d. As amazing a car the B8 may be, it is still lacking in comparison to the F10. For 11-13lacs (ish), I would definitely pick the Bimmer. Your only complaint was the lack of HUD + NAV - 1 is irrelevant and the other a software update away although both would be cool to have.

The B8 has shown issues with GC in my neighborhood and more so with 2-3 passengers on board. MMI basic may have the NAV button but it doesn't have the GPS receiver. So it will not be as simple as a software upgrade - One will need to add the component separately. Platza's 3.0tdi is the only one of our cars which does have the NAV chip and should be easily upgradable once Audi provides the option.

The 530d has better GC, definitely a more premium feel with better quality buttons etc (I hate that the White+Beige Audi has a black seatbelt holster - looks tacky!) it has a bigger higher resolution screen with inbuilt NAV chip, Touch-button start etc etc. The MMI Basic is just that - Basic. It gets the job done but is nothing great compared to MMI High, COMAND or iDrive. The Dial wheel is missed severely and despite asking for it as an option, its only provided in the 3.2/3.0 A4's. Platza really got a friggin good deal!

If you can afford it, the 530d is a better choice. Otherwise, the A4 is the next best option in its 3.0/3.2 avatars - this is where you get the gizmo's you wanted. On the bareback 2.0/1.8's, the tech-levels are lower but despite that, these cars are still better than the 3/C anyday. Tough choice - but if given a second choice, I would have gone with the F10.

Also - What other cars in the garage? That would also affect the final decision I would think.

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 18th October 2010 at 16:06.
Old 18th October 2010, 23:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
wow...am I the only 2.0 TFSI owner whose gonna nix this option?

Stick with the 530d. As amazing a car the B8 may be, it is still lacking in comparison to the F10. For 11-13lacs (ish), I would definitely pick the Bimmer. Your only complaint was the lack of HUD + NAV - 1 is irrelevant and the other a software update away although both would be cool to have.

The B8 has shown issues with GC in my neighborhood and more so with 2-3 passengers on board. MMI basic may have the NAV button but it doesn't have the GPS receiver. So it will not be as simple as a software upgrade - One will need to add the component separately. Platza's 3.0tdi is the only one of our cars which does have the NAV chip and should be easily upgradable once Audi provides the option.

The 530d has better GC, definitely a more premium feel with better quality buttons etc (I hate that the White+Beige Audi has a black seatbelt holster - looks tacky!) it has a bigger higher resolution screen with inbuilt NAV chip, Touch-button start etc etc. The MMI Basic is just that - Basic. It gets the job done but is nothing great compared to MMI High, COMAND or iDrive. The Dial wheel is missed severely and despite asking for it as an option, its only provided in the 3.2/3.0 A4's. Platza really got a friggin good deal!

If you can afford it, the 530d is a better choice. Otherwise, the A4 is the next best option in its 3.0/3.2 avatars - this is where you get the gizmo's you wanted. On the bareback 2.0/1.8's, the tech-levels are lower but despite that, these cars are still better than the 3/C anyday. Tough choice - but if given a second choice, I would have gone with the F10.

Also - What other cars in the garage? That would also affect the final decision I would think.
I really wanted the 530d and it was my first choice, but as I mentioned earlier I would be stretching my budget. I wanted to go in for a premium ride with all the bells and whistles. I was hoping that the F10 would give me reverse cam + trajectory lines, HUD, GPS, night vision, rear ac controls etc - basically 'the works'. Didn't happen, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on essentially what I can get at a lower price point. I need a good mix of driving pleasure + gadgets That is my only criteria.

Finally someone can back me up on the GC issue. I had the same issue when the car was fully loaded, but the ride is so much more supple than the 3. I also hate the fact that the MMI controls for the 2.0TFSI are not placed near the gearshift. The iDrive on the 3 was a pleasure to use; I am sick of going back and forth in my mind between the A4 and the 3! The 3 actually meets all my needs but the fact that an all new model is coming out in 2012 is what is holding me back from booking it. There have only been petrol cars in the family and if I decide on the 320d, then that will be our first diesel. The garage consists of a vRS, a Santro (AT) and a Lancer (which I sold off recently, so the A4 or the 3 will be replacing it).

If the 2.0TFSI does not have the GPS unit, then that is a bummer. I am taking the A4 on a long drive this weekend with the sales chap, lets see how that goes.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:01   #27
BHPian

The Audi TSI does have satnav capabilities. Told you, it's just not implemented yet.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The Audi TSI does have satnav capabilities. Told you, it's just not implemented yet.
REDEFF: 'Told you'? That's it? You need to do better than that to validate your point. If it's just not implemented as you say, all it will take to activate is a VAG-COM code and India specific map CD - Correct? Why don't you try it on your car.

In India none of the A4 2.0/1.8's (TFSI or TDI) have MMI. They have the Symphony Radio systems which look and act like MMI. Symphony Radios do not have Video In/Out capabilities, hence no rear-view camera can be installed (OEM) or the rear-seat entertainment package or Navigation.

Audi MMI has Video In/Out + a higher res screen + the scroll wheel with buttons next to the gear-shift - Something like this ( http://www.technofile.com/images/audi_mmi.jpg )- this is only available on the higher end Audi's. You cannot have navigation capabilities without MMI (OEM) but you can have an MMI system without navigation.

The 3.0 TDI with Platza (& any 3.2 TFSI's out there) may or may not have a Nav chip, but they are the only ones with a MMI system where an OEM Audi navigation system can be retrofitted/activated once it gets opened up. It has Video in/out and can be fitted with the rear-seat entertainment package as well as the rear-view camera with trajectory.

For everybody else who has the A4 1.8 TFSI, 2.0 TDI or 2.0 TFSI - I am 99% sure there is no chance of an OEM solution for Navigation. We will need aftermarket modifications or MapMyIndia'ish ugly installments. Check link for further clarification or just feel free to google around.

Summary of current Audi multimedia systems and history (by LoCal) - Audi A6 Q7 A8 A4 A5 Retrofit Jälkiasennus Nachrüsten Retro-fit

CYPHER : If its down to the 3 & the A4 - No doubt your best bet is the A4. Yes, the non-mmi sucks, the GC on the lower side but the 3 is OLD and the C doesn't even have proper power seats! Even their COMAND is not NAV ready and is a lower version just like the ones found in our Audi's.

While I'm not sure about the bimmers Nav capability/set-up, I didn't even bother test driving it since I was not gonna go for a previous generation car. It was always between the A4 & C for me. If you take the plunge, you won't regret it especially the 2.0 TFSI. In terms of performance, it rivals the 3.0 TDI and 3.2 TFSI's lower end and simply just beats the bejeezus out of ALL the bimmer and benz engine options in its bracket! Take a long test drive and let your heart decide!

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 19th October 2010 at 14:32.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

The 3.0 TDI has the NAV chip. Launch of maps for MMI is a few months away (read Q2 2011) and once it happens, they will be available on the MMI without much fuss
Old 29th October 2010, 19:51   #30
BHPian

Hey Chaps,

Couldn't go for a drive last weekend on the A4, but it is finally happening this weekend...

By the way, I managed to get approximately 1L off on the 320d HL. Does anyone have an idea as to how much more I can get off, since the model is retiring and all?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks