Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one 7 or S?
7 Series 29 54.72%
New S-Class 24 45.28%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2005, 09:15   #16
BHPian

Post deleted by the Admin : SMS / Chat language is not permitted on this board. Do read the announcements section before proceeding any further.
Old 19th December 2005, 10:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
also my friend from Dubai told me it sold like hot cakes, but boy people are upset with the issues its having.
Gosh! Now what problems does the new S Class have?

GTO
Old 19th December 2005, 11:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

the new S-Class has no issues with it.There were problems with the old car and maybe people are unhappy about that.

If one says that the 7-series is better luxury car than an S then they dont know what a luxury car is supposed to be.yes the BMW handles a tad better and may have a sporty gear shift and throttle,but a luxury car is not about that.

The S-class has the best ride,comfort and stability in its class.It is extremely quiet,quiter than an LS.about the technologies,no wonder all these will come in the new 7,the new A8 and new Ls,because that is what they do,copy the MERC.

The new S-class and M-class are launching in India on Jan 25 2006.Wait upto that time or buy the BMW.

You buy a BMW 7-series because you like the BMW and not because the S-class is bad car.

The S sells more because it retains about 90% of its existing customers,more than any other luxury car.
Old 19th December 2005, 16:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
...about the technologies,no wonder all these will come in the new 7,the new A8 and new Ls,because that is what they do,copy the MERC.
Have you guys seen the new S class Merc??
1. Its been inspired by the Maybach / 7 series - exterior styling/ bootlid
2. The interiors seem to be shifted from the 7.
3. The automatic tranny lever next to the steering wheel has been eyed from the 7 series.
4.COMAND2 is also there because i-drive is there in the 7 series.
5.The Active Night Vision is also there because the 7 has the Thermal vision.

Ok there might be lots of new features compared to the 7 BUT, the 7 SERIES when launched did not take a look at the S for design cues...they straightaway went and launched an unconventional design which was new to the human eye and had lots of criticism from the autobuffs...but today the 7's biggest competitor is following the beemer which shows the 7 SERIES BMW is headed in the right direction.
Old 19th December 2005, 18:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
Have you guys seen the new S class Merc??
1. Its been inspired by the Maybach / 7 series - exterior styling/ bootlid
2. The interiors seem to be shifted from the 7.
3. The automatic tranny lever next to the steering wheel has been eyed from the 7 series.
4.COMAND2 is also there because i-drive is there in the 7 series.
5.The Active Night Vision is also there because the 7 has the Thermal vision.
1,2,-Styling is not technology.The rear of the S-class is more maybach than 7-series.the maybach design was born before the 7-series,it is another thing that it came into production later and Maybach is owned by Mercedes benz.

3-even our very old Fiats and ambasadors hasd column mounted shift levers.This is not a new idea.

4-Accepted but every manufacturer is doing it because of the complexity of the electronics.BMW can have this glory though.

5-BMW has no production thermal night vision system on any of its cars.It is just a technology concept that they are evaluating.But merc cannot have this glory because they lifted this idea from caddilac.
Old 20th December 2005, 02:52   #21
BHPian

7. For sure.

I hate it that its mostly old people that have that kind of cash to throw around and spend it on sedate sedans that look like roadgoing boats.

how about getting your dad an M5. it will make him feel 10 years younger! imagine hitting 310 on the expressway!
Old 20th December 2005, 03:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

The 7 series beemer reeks of class.. people have seen mercs in India.. dont you remember the mad rush to see the beemer 7 series in the vaahan yaatra in bangalore.. man one could not see that car people were practically all over it..
Old 20th December 2005, 10:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

so basically you buy a 7-series because not many people have bought it here.

And you think that happpens because it is a better luxury car.Poor logic i must say when the opposition(S and A8) has moved so much futher ahead.
Old 20th December 2005, 11:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
1,2,-Styling is not technology.The rear of the S-class is more maybach than 7-series....
3-even our very old Fiats and ambasadors hasd column mounted shift levers.This is not a new idea.
5-BMW has no production thermal night vision system on any of its cars....
Agreed rear of the S is more Maybach than the 7...what about the Bootlid design for which the 7 was criticisd so much?? The new S has the same...I am not talking about MANUAL transmissions Fiats and Ambys had long time back..this is called the 'Steering Column Switch Cluster"..by which you press the buttons to change Gears...+ you have the S>M>D...also it is just a switch unlike the old Fiats and Ambys where you had to pull or push to change gears..Sorry, but BMW 7 SERIES HAS THERMAL VISION AND WOULD SET YOU BACK APPROX 2000 EUROS.
Old 20th December 2005, 14:00   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is no doubt that the rear end and the dashboard design of Mercs S Class is influnced by the 7 series.

GTO
Old 20th December 2005, 15:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dashboard design to a certain degree yes but the rear is more maybach inspired than 7 series,and com'on there is much more to a S-class than mere looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaforniaKnight
but BMW 7 SERIES HAS THERMAL VISION AND WOULD SET YOU BACK APPROX 2000 EUROS.
Merc introduced it earlier in the S than the BMW in the revised 7 which will get the night vision in Q4 2005(that is now).Merc has developed this system for more than 3 year now and it was announced on the new s-class in early 2004.so now you can see who followed whom.and secondly the BMW system in no thermal imaging system it uses far infrared tech whereas Merc uses near infrared tech.Maybe this will help to clear ur doubt:

dated 18th july 2005.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/gadgets...tem-121782.php

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th December 2005 at 16:01.
Old 21st December 2005, 09:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Merve...my friend stays in dubai and there are more S in dubai than any other place in the world(as of now, since its not there in US) outside of germany...anyhow he told me 2 of his friends owning the S had issues, he didnt go into details but it was something to do with electronics only and when they took the car in..they were told there that the new batch had some issues..

anyhow i would be happier if it didnt have issues cuz i like the new one as well..

but i dont think the 25th jan date is accurate because the T&T motors guy didnt know anything about it and told me it would be available not until mid of 06...

This stired me towards the CLS they have in stock and if nothing I would recommend the CLS to my dad..no car has more class and style like the CLS...exclusivity will automatically come..and as for the M5 comment...I dont like it one bit..I would much rather pick a CLS55 if I had the dough..so..my choice is now CLS, S/7 and then something else..

Last edited by 1Day : 21st December 2005 at 09:26.
Old 21st December 2005, 10:02   #28
BHPian

[quote=merve_extreme]

...and secondly the BMW system in no thermal imaging system it uses far infrared tech whereas Merc uses near infrared tech....

Maybe this will help to clear ur doubt:

So you say there is no Thermal vision in BMW, read this then;

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000843050401/
Old 21st December 2005, 19:46   #29
M66
BHPian

The new S is leaps and bounds better than the FL 7er. In the end its just a matter of personal preference. The interior of the new S is probably much better than any interior out there (in terms of sheer quality) other than the RR and MM.
The only probably letdown is that since this is a first production year for the new S, there are bound to be problems. People saying that this isn't true for BMW are either true fanboys or either naive. The current M5 in its second year has tons of software glitches and Vanos oil line problems. Even the 7er was criticised for its poor reliability upon launch 4 years back.
If you can bear some glitches and the short wait, I suggest go for the S.

Its priced higher than the equivalent 7 and old S and that should retain some of its exclusivity. The way BMW is selling currently in Bombay, I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more of the 7. Where I live, I almost see as many 7's as I see S'.

The CLS, while i love it, I really couldn't recommend it for your dad. I don't know whether hes an enthusiast or more leisure driver, so the S or 7 would indeed be ideal. If hes going to be using a chauffeur for more than 50% of the time then just stay incredibly away from the CLS.
Old 21st December 2005, 20:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all Merc's and BMW's have problems in the first batch. The problem with the new S was something to do with an electronic chip which caused several malfuncations. Hence your on a safer side now as when MBIL launches the new S it should have forgone all these clinches by that time. Even if the new S does come up with problems its easier to get it fixed here thnx to the strong dealer base than MBIL has established over the past decade in India. Whereas,BMW is yet to launch offical and service and parts would be costlier and more troublesome due to a limited service network. Afterall said and done the NEW S ROCKS!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks