Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 04:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ok heres some info through my experiences...

If I understand you right hellspawn, you are looking for that boom...a bassy, hollow, clean sound right? Well, heres the fact behind getting that sound...
1)You need to have your catcon and OEM muffler, resonator etc removed.
2) Assuming you have a 4x2x1 header, which doesnot need a end cone , you need a big/hollow resonating expansion chamber and equally dimensioned muffler.
3) Fact: thinner the muffler/centre pipe, louder and sharper the noise.
3) Bigger the muffler and centre pipe, bassier/cleaner the tone.
4) Bigger expansion chamber/ centre pipe and a small muffler will give you a mixed tone.

After having said that, it isnt advisable to use any pipe size desired as the pipe diameter is selectively chosen for desired performance output.

One trick: Easiest way to get a bassy note is to have a half exhaust, by which I mean an exhaust system that ends half way under the car and having a big resonator/muffler combo. What happens here is due to the muffler being half way under the car, the whole car underbody helps the note resonate. This would be good fune initially but pretty annoying subsequently due to the numbing effect created coz of the whole cars body resonance. This can also get too loud and can attract unwanted attention.

P.s: When I say big, its the diameter that Im talking about and not length.

Last edited by The Wolf : 2nd August 2006 at 04:40.
Old 3rd August 2006, 05:30   #17

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

@wolf:bang on bro...u got it.ok let me read ur post a couple of more times to understand it. .
so by a half exhaust u mean that the it ends under the body near the halfway point.but isnt there a drawback because there has to be a reason why the car manufacturer has the pipe coming out of the rear and not ending midway.
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
@wolf:bang on bro...u got it.ok let me read ur post a couple of more times to understand it. .
so by a half exhaust u mean that the it ends under the body near the halfway point.but isnt there a drawback because there has to be a reason why the car manufacturer has the pipe coming out of the rear and not ending midway.
some car manufacturers want lower noise levels so they go for longer pipes to strangle the noise as much as possible..
I have seen so many after market BMW's, vipers, merc and skylines from big tuners/racing teams with pipes coming out from the side in order to expel the exhaust quickly with minimum resistance .. plus the sound is louder ..
forget what the car manufacturers do ...
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
One trick: Easiest way to get a bassy note is to have a half exhaust, by which I mean an exhaust system that ends half way under the car and having a big resonator/muffler combo.
I like this idea ... it will be loud and flow will be easier also..
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:31   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
SZ - I would be very surprised if you are getting an original Remus exhaust. And anyways spending 15k for an exhaust for your Alto is not advisable especially if you are not a performance freak!!

P.S. If you are getting an original Remus at that price & are sure about it then it's not such a bad deal!!
I'm getting an original one for sure. They're marketed here by the same people who does K&N!
I know! Spending that much for an exhaust on an Alto LX is not much worth it. But I've already got a K&N extreme air filter with cold air intake and it sure does produce some serious effects in the engine side. I mean it has changed my car's performance and the way it sounds. But the exhaust puts out that same tinny sound and I'll be more happier with a better performance and sound.

My future (ie. immediate future) upgrade plans are iridium spark plugs and performance cables. Polishing the heads are also on agenda. And dont you think a good exhaust will be a good companion with all these mods?
Old 4th August 2006, 04:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
I'm getting an original one for sure. They're marketed here by the same people who does K&N!
I know! Spending that much for an exhaust on an Alto LX is not much worth it. But I've already got a K&N extreme air filter with cold air intake and it sure does produce some serious effects in the engine side. I mean it has changed my car's performance and the way it sounds. But the exhaust puts out that same tinny sound and I'll be more happier with a better performance and sound.

My future (ie. immediate future) upgrade plans are iridium spark plugs and performance cables. Polishing the heads are also on agenda. And dont you think a good exhaust will be a good companion with all these mods?
A good exhaust will certainly be a very welcome & desirable addition to the rest of the mods. If I went as far as to mod a car that much I would certainly get a good exhaust.

Don't get me wrong I wrote the earlier post only because I thought you were more of an ICE guy then a performance guy!! But if you like performance then you are on the right path. But I had read earlier that you were planning to buy a bigger car for the audio & I think it will be a better idea to mod that.

Logic being mods to the Alto will produce small percentage gains but mods to say an OHC VTEC will result in large gains even if they are in a small percentage. The overall feeling will be faster & more satisfying!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks