Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 19:51   #16
BANNED

Its best not to use the car cover.Always park your car in Garage
Old 6th April 2009, 20:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

As someone already mentioned, I washed it once on the car itself. I cant find that kind of clean space to spread the cover on the floor and use detergent etc and then dry it hanging somewhere. Easiest is to do it while its on the car (parked outside in the early morning) and let it dry in the sun till noon. Later remove and fold it, just clean the car with a wet cloth. Nothing more convenient than that ! If your car is parked in a dusty/untarred public place, then this whole process will not only spoil your cover but also your car !
Old 7th November 2009, 20:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need a clarification. I normally keep my Alto covered to protect it from dust, as my parking lot is OTS. Since it has been raining here for the past few days, I removed the cover once it became clean, and have not covered the car afterwards. As it is raining intermittently, it becomes a hassle to remove the cover while taking the car out, since it sticks tightly to the car.

Now it has been raining continuosly for the past 24 hours and it looks like it will continue for the next few days. The car is continuosly exposed and I am feeling a bit worried. Will it be better to put the cover back on? Not that it is fully water proof any way.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:52   #19
BHPian

I have two types of covers.

The matte finish silver in colour cover (Octavia) and the DuPont Tyvek white in colour cover (MGA for SX4)

I generally wash my cover while its on the car, using a hose. Then let it dry on its own.
This method is very successful on the SX4 as the DuPont Tyvek cover is completely water proof.
Hence the car does not get dirty.

On the Octavia its a completely different story.
I let the cover soak in a tub with a mixture of detergent and table salt, for an hour or two and then hang it on the usual clothes drying wire / line for it to dry.

P.S.: Putting salt has an advantage, stray / pet dogs will not pee on your car and it keeps other insects and animals away.
Old 17th November 2009, 20:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

P.S.: Putting salt has an advantage, stray / pet dogs will not pee on your car and it keeps other insects and animals away.
Wow, is that true? I will definitely try this one. Lets see if this works on the dogs in my neighborhood.

BTW, how much salt do you use?
Old 24th November 2009, 00:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Wow, is that true? I will definitely try this one. Lets see if this works on the dogs in my neighborhood.

BTW, how much salt do you use?

This trick does work for me, I devised it as I am the only one who's bothered about covering up the car. Hence I end up putting it on and then removing it,
Removing a cover which has dog pee near the corners is quite disgusting to say the least .

This trick does work but mix some detergent as well.

I use about 3-4 table spoons (large ones),
Old 31st August 2013, 10:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car cover cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I need a clarification. I normally keep my Alto covered to protect it from dust, as my parking lot is OTS. Since it has been raining here for the past few days, I removed the cover once it became clean, and have not covered the car afterwards. As it is raining intermittently, it becomes a hassle to remove the cover while taking the car out, since it sticks tightly to the car.

Now it has been raining continuosly for the past 24 hours and it looks like it will continue for the next few days. The car is continuosly exposed and I am feeling a bit worried. Will it be better to put the cover back on? Not that it is fully water proof any way.
Hey Gansan,

I started using a car cover since yesterday. It started raining late night and in the morning I noticed the same issue. The cover is wet and sticking to the car. How do you handle this now.

Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 14:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
How do you handle this now.
It is a problem. Sometimes the cover can tear. Even when we manage to take it off, it can't be put back till it is dry. But I have noticed the Tyvek covers of my neighbors don't tear easily.

If I know it will rain fairly regularly, I don't cover the car. Instead I pay the watchman to dust it off in the morning and evening.

It is not an issue for the past couple of years, as I take the car out only during week-ends. Thanks to Chennai Metro Rail construction!

BTW I buy the normal MGP covers, and the average life is ~ 18 months before it starts tearing. I manage for another 3 - 4 months by having a cobbler patch it up! But it must be done in-situ on the car, by placing a couple of sheets of news paper underneath the tear! He charges Rs 40.00 per patch!

Last edited by Gansan : 31st August 2013 at 14:51. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:49   #24
BHPian

My car is a couple of weeks new covered by a MGA cover. I clean it using an ordinary duster.

On reading this thread I came to know all car covers aren't waterproof! Now I am wondering whether mine is.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:59   #25
BHPian

Hi friends,
We have lots and lots of tips and techniques regarding how to clean our car.
Can we focus a little bit on how to clean the car cover too?
Any tips and suggestions?

Regards,
Guru

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks