Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 23:10   #1
dot
Senior - BHPian

Affordable ODB Display & Diagnostic Tools (eg. GReddy Informeter, ELM 327, etc)

Came across this OBD tool: GReddy Informeter Touch from the famed GReddy performance products. Sounded cool when compared to Scangauge II since the interface is a touch screen. Here is a picture of the screen.

Affordable ODB Display & Diagnostic Tools (eg. GReddy Informeter, ELM 327, etc)-greddy-informeter.jpg

The list of data it can display when attached to the OBD port of a Civic is shown below.

Affordable ODB Display & Diagnostic Tools (eg. GReddy Informeter, ELM 327, etc)-civ-informeter.png

Also a youtube video showing the prowess of the instrument.

However the cost is pretty steep, about 450-510$ depending on website. However on coolness quotient it is far superior to ScangaugeII which may justify the cost.

Any experience on this OBD tool by any BHpian?
Old 16th June 2011, 03:59   #2
knp
BHPian

Re: GReddy Informeter

Though it has touch screen and look funky, SG2 looks neat in its looks and design. I still prefer SG2 over this.
Old 16th June 2011, 08:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dot, what do you need an OBD2 tool for? I agree it looks quite funky but unless you wish to diagnose car problems yourself or service the car in your garage. I don't think the price is justified because you could do some nice mods to the Civic at that price.

Tuneup Plus has an OBD2 scanner from "Launch" just in case you need to get anything diagnosed. There could be a DIY solution that would work out cheaper. If I were you, I would get a Carputer done.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dot,

$450+ is too much for the casual use of something like this. After playing with it a bit, you'll probably get bored. Also some cars don't give you all the sensor data, and some ECUs don't pump out the data at fast enough intervals for it to be really cool.

I recently got an ELM 327 (bluetooth) and it communicates with my phone perfectly. Too bad you didn't put up this thread a little sooner, i could have shown it to you at the Sunny's Dhaba meet!

Assuming you already have a smartphone, the additional cost of a bluetooth OBD adapter could be $20-$60. Watch out for fakes - they wont work as well.

Download an android app called TORQUE, and here's what it looks like :

Affordable ODB Display & Diagnostic Tools (eg. GReddy Informeter, ELM 327, etc)-ss06cf5a2ad316a5b18e087ab899c3a6538612bae05c.jpeg

Affordable ODB Display & Diagnostic Tools (eg. GReddy Informeter, ELM 327, etc)-ss18ab4f97906cbd646ef4610e3b380b5484b2d5804e.jpeg

Link to app

cya
R

PS - This should probably be merged with one of our many OBD threads -- any tips on which one?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2011 at 19:27.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 17:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Rehaan that is cool. Link for genuine BT adaptors?
Old 16th June 2011, 18:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, torque is there for iPhones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
PS - This should probably be merged with one of our many OBD threads -- any tips on which one?
May be this one? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

P.S - If I may ask, which car did 0-100 in 7.4s?. Was Torque calibrated for GPS speed and OBD speed?.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2011 at 19:14. Reason: Please note that we do NOT encourage piracy. Post edited.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

IIRC, torque is there for iPhones too.

There is also another App for the iPhone called Rev.

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more
Old 16th June 2011, 18:44   #8
BANNED

I find that fiddling with the very simple interface of my radio tuner/HU or even a single app touchscreen device like GPS to be too distracting and dangerous while driving. Forget a complicated touchscreen app with so many dials and interfaces.

Unless the App does only one thing and presents it with a single button toggle interface, I wouldn't spend my $$$ on anything more complicated.

--Ragul
Old 16th June 2011, 19:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Link for genuine BT adaptors?
I got mine as a gift

You'll find info on legit adaptors here : Bluetooth Adapters - TorqueWiki

Quote:
Paid app
There's a FREE version too, with almost all the functionality.

Quote:
P.S - If I may ask, which car did 0-100 in 7.4s?.
Definitely not mine
Thats the stock screenshot from the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I find that fiddling with the very simple interface of my radio tuner/HU or even a single app touchscreen device like GPS to be too distracting and dangerous while driving.
1) Don't do it while driving!
For example on the way to Lonavla i waited till FlyingSpur took over the wheel before i really played with it.

2) It has a LOGGING function. You can select which parameters to log, at what interval, and then you just forget about it. You can review the data later (CSV format) or upload it to the web interface where it will also show your GPS position for each point/value. (I still have to try this part).

Here's a (possibly outdated) screenshot of what the web interface looks like, where you can upload and view your logs. read more
Name:  webinterface.png
Views: 7525
Size:  373.9 KB

cya
R

PS - I've attached the SAMPLE tracklog from a short segment of our drive to Sunny's. Its logged at 0.5 second intervals, and only shows the parameters i selected. Don't trust the GPS stuff much, i'm not sure i set it up correctly and i didn't really want to log that part of it.
Notice the co-relation between speed and Intake air temperature!! It dies at the end because we got stuck in a monster traffic jam.
Attached Files
File Type: xls trackLog.xls (203.5 KB, 556 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2011 at 19:30.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I find that fiddling with ...
============
.... too distracting and dangerous while driving.
Quote:
1) Don't do it while driving!
Umm.. well Torque has this really cool feature where the display turns to mirror image, so that you can project it onto your windscreen, and monitor while driving, just like monitoring the speedo.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:25   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Umm.. well Torque has this really cool feature where the display turns to mirror image, so that you can project it onto your windscreen, and monitor while driving, just like monitoring the speedo.

Without a projector? So the screen is made to face the windshield close to it?

-Ragul
Old 16th June 2011, 20:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Without a projector? So the screen is made to face the windshield close to it?
Yep!. You will have to have max brightness on your device. Also, on direct sunlight, it might be difficult to see, but you can make your night drives 'techhy'.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:53   #13
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I don't think the price is justified because you could do some nice mods to the Civic at that price.
Quote:

$450+ is too much for the casual use of something like this. After playing with it a bit, you'll probably get bored.
Agreed, the price is too much and one will get bored very quickly on a non modded car.

Quote:
I recently got an ELM 327 (bluetooth) and it communicates with my phone perfectly. Too bad you didn't put up this thread a little sooner, i could have shown it to you at the Sunny's Dhaba meet!

Assuming you already have a smartphone, the additional cost of a bluetooth OBD adapter could be $20-$60.

Download an android app called TORQUE
Funnily enough, on the day of the meet, @Jealousdiamond showed me his new ELM327 device and we played around for a bit on his Safari, Indica and my Civic. Could not connect on any vehicle as the laptop had some device driver issues.

Thanks for the "Torque" tip. If we are successful it will be such a $$ saver. Will check it out.

Quote:
Anyplace where it makes sense.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2011 at 18:24. Reason: As per reported post
Old 17th June 2011, 00:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan. If I recollect correctly, TORQUE is only available for download on android devices.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Torque has this really cool feature where the display turns to mirror image, so that you can project it onto your windscreen...
"HUD" (Head Up Display) -- works best on AMOLED screens, though honestly i find it too distracting, especially at night. Haven't really used it much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
@Rehaan. If I recollect correctly, TORQUE is only available for download on android devices.
Probably true, but i'm sure there's some good apps for iOS too.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks