Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2006, 02:53   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Front Bumper Mesh?

we keep looking at modified cars with mesh grill on thefront bumpers etc...like what autopsche uses in his designs.What i wanted to know was if somebody wants to cut away a part of the bumper and place a mesh grill....can it be done?if yes,how much would the mesh grill cost and where can it be procurred from.is it the industrial wire mesh that is used elsewhere also,for eg,fencing etc.imo,i think there would be a roll of wire mesh and you would have to cut them into required pieces ,right?kindly enlighten me on this on,guys?this question is in context to a palio i spotted on the road,wherein the horizontal slats on the front bumper were cut away and replaced by a wire mesh......otherwise the bumper was stock.
Old 4th February 2006, 03:07   #2
BHPian

Yes u can buy the mess grille.
I am not aware of the availablity at ur place...
U can by huge sheets of these mess grill.
Now dont even think about the industrial mesh grill coz those are steel. They dont bend as per ur requirement. They tend to rust and even look dull...
Now the actual ones are the aluminium sheets. They arent rolled coz they will break and deform.
I payed around Rs1300 for a sheet which can be used twice or more to do the same work u wanted on ur palio.
U get the sheet in black and silver... And in several designs, i mean the shape and size of the vents.

I am sure someone would be able to point you to the right direction at ur place...
Old 4th February 2006, 21:36   #3
BHPian

Hello General,
Where is this mesh available in Bangalore???
Old 5th February 2006, 16:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
Hello General,
Where is this mesh available in Bangalore???

The type of mesh you'll are talking about is available in aluminum stores, the same stores that stock the rails for the sliding windows of todays apartments!! The actual use of the mesh is for doors and windows and is sold in sheets........ measured in rolling feet. Look for an area where wholesale shops stock construction stuff, You'll get what you want there!!
Old 5th February 2006, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Interesting post.

It would be good to hear from someone who actually modded a stock bumper of any vehicle in a similar fashion. Pics would really help decide whether its worth it and if the desired finish and look can be achieved.

shazikon, let me know if you go ahead with this procedure.

Good Luck
Old 5th February 2006, 21:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hellspawn, was it a red palio? Coz i had done up one palio where we installed mesh on the original bumper after removing the horizontal slats. What car do u intend to get it on?
Old 5th February 2006, 21:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arush,

First of let me tell you I have visited the autopsyche website and come away very very impressed. Whats really admirable is that your not only looking at the bling factor. The Skoda mod (Barracuda) boasts some crazy engine specs and you have immense talent. All the very best to you & Autopsyches future endevours.

Now getting back on topic..... I really would like a mesh grill on my lancer GLI. Whats your thoughts on modding the stock bumper?

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Btw... You can also buy Stainless Steel Mesh.... we use quite a bit of it at our factory.

It bends fairly easily and is very strong and long lasting...
Old 25th June 2008, 08:24   #9
BANNED

how the mesh should be fitted inside so that it donot come out at high speed
Old 26th June 2008, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Was planning the same for my Ikon. It has the old "smiley" bumper as they call it with cat-eye fog lamps.
Arush since you have already modded a Palio, if you could please enlighten us on how is it held in place and cost involved.
Then i probably might be rushing to your garrage before the meet on saturday.

My Ikon is exactly the same,(this is a fellow member's though).

Last edited by abhik : 26th June 2008 at 17:57.
Old 28th June 2008, 14:02   #11
BANNED

this is the diy mesh bumper for my maruti 800. the bumper may be cut if i found that mesh donot come out at high speed
Attached Thumbnails
Front Bumper Mesh?-dsc00021.jpg  

Old 29th June 2008, 16:17   #12
BHPian

I was more looking at cutting out the existing fins and just the mesh.
Unlike the above with both.
Old 29th June 2008, 17:09   #13
BHPian

Guys..had been to JC Road last week and found a Santro with mesh grills. Luckily just opposite to where it was parked, there was a shop that sold the mesh grill. The one i saw there was around half a meter wide and 3 meters long. They quoted 1.2k for this. After bargaining, they told they can give for 1k. But i dint want to buy it right away because wanted to do some more R&D on where/if we can get cheaper ones.

I however dont know where we can it cut and put it on my car. I think if i would have bought that one, they would have told me where to go for that.

So, still some R&D to do on this. btw my car is exactly the same that abhik has.

Cheers
Sanju
Old 13th September 2008, 21:39   #14
BHPian

Does anyone know where to source a good (sturdy) metal grill or mesh in Mumbai?

I just got a new set of bumpers installed, and the mesh used is too flimsy and does not conceal the parts behind at all.
Old 13th September 2008, 22:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
this is the diy mesh bumper for my maruti 800. the bumper may be cut if i found that mesh donot come out at high speed
I got one too,and reached 140kms nothing really happen at speeds its now over 6months i have been using it
Attached Thumbnails
Front Bumper Mesh?-31052008467bm2.jpg  

Front Bumper Mesh?-31052008466.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks