Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 08:21   #1
BHPian

Bent car key, need spare

Hello folks,

The other day, the guy who cleans my car managed to bend my car keys! The key was returned to me as usual, after the washing routine had finished, and it was bent slightly off center. I was pretty shocked at this, but only noticed when I had reached my car in the office parking lot.

I didn't want to cry over spilt milk, throw curses, and ask how it happened (all this I will do today ) so I drove home.

Now here's the thing. I have only 1 key for my Palio Stile MJD. The car, while it stood for over a year at the showroom, lost its spare keys, and I ended up getting only one. What I need to know now, is whether any ordinary key maker can cut me a new key, or I need to follow some other procedure to procure one.

I'm a bit insecure having just one key, and that too bent. I was told that cars like this have no electronic wizardry embedded within (it's a manual entry car), and that any roadside key chap would suffice. Being a t-bhp member however, I'm instinctively posting this. I wasn't sure if this was to go in the technical section, so pardon me if it was.

Thanks in advance as usual.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bent car key, need spare

Check for any of the better looking key making shops. I have seen them advertise even the Ford's keys (this is more cylindrical than flat) and even the dimpled keys that door locks use.

But if your keys have some circuitry inside, then it's back to the A.S.S
Old 6th July 2011, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I need to know now, is whether any ordinary key maker can cut me a new key, or I need to follow some other procedure to procure one.
Get in touch with the dealer who sold you the car and he should be able to procure one. I reckon that you don't go to local key makers for this. If the dealer lost the car keys he is bound to give you a spare one at no extra cost.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

If your car has immobilizer then only dealer can help! Check few 1000's if so. Punto's spare key costs 6k or so.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 10:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

even if it has an immobilizer, if the key is a plain jane one, try a key from palika.
itll cost you about 100 odd.
take about 30 minutes.
not khan market, its all closed.
if it works, well and good,else youll have to go to fiat.
then its their cost and your head.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Check for any of the better looking key making shops. I have seen them advertise even the Ford's keys (this is more cylindrical than flat) and even the dimpled keys that door locks use.

But if your keys have some circuitry inside, then it's back to the A.S.S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Get in touch with the dealer who sold you the car and he should be able to procure one. I reckon that you don't go to local key makers for this. If the dealer lost the car keys he is bound to give you a spare one at no extra cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If your car has immobilizer then only dealer can help! Check few 1000's if so. Punto's spare key costs 6k or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
even if it has an immobilizer, if the key is a plain jane one, try a key from palika.
itll cost you about 100 odd.
take about 30 minutes.
not khan market, its all closed.
if it works, well and good,else youll have to go to fiat.
then its their cost and your head.

Thanks for the input chaps. Pic attached from phone. See that lil logo on the key? I suspect that means something.

Problem with following up with the dealer is, their service is abysmal. I mean terrifically poor. I don't have time to waste, hence I was looking for a quicker way out.

Ok so I called elegant motors, where I service my car, and they said it'd cost 1700 to replace the entire lock set. He asked if I had a 1.2 palio and I said no. Then he said he had to double check and hasn't called back.

Then I called customer care (1800 number) and they said I should contact the dealer first. If they dont help, then I'm supposed to call customer care back to lodge a complaint. See how cumbersome this sounds? Aaargh!!

I've emailed the dealer, will call them later too.
Attached Images

Last edited by ByDesign : 6th July 2011 at 11:25.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think you should be able to have the key made outside. Looking at the key, I doubt it has anything electronic inside.

Look at a key shop with the electronic machines for key-making and you'll have a spare one ready in 15min.

The electronic machine has 2 slots; one where the original key is kept and another where a bland key is kept. A small tip moves parallely on both keys; whenever 1 head comes across dips on the original key, the tip on the spare key makes a similar dip. So, should work good.

If you aren't convinced with this, you'll have to give the key no. (available on that small piece of metal you get along with all the keys) to the A.S.S. and they'll have a key made for you in a weeks time.
Old 8th July 2011, 21:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
... What I need to know now, is whether any ordinary key maker can cut me a new key, or I need to follow some other procedure to procure one.
Consult a professional key maker. He will know if the key has an immobiliser. If there is none, then like others mentioned it will take just 10-15 mins for a new key. If yes, then it will take a week. A duplicate key with an immobiliser will cost you 2.5 if done after market. Where as showroom guys charge almost the double. No real difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
... Looking at the key, I doubt it has anything electronic inside...
Libran, I don't think one can judge by just looking at it, cos even the humble 800 comes with ICAT immobiliser.
Old 9th July 2011, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
don't think one can judge by just looking at it, cos even the humble 800 comes with ICAT immobiliser.
But the ICAT-800's key has a FAT rubber fob.

With the thin hard plastic key, I doubt if the protection is enough to guard the RFID chip inside.

@ byDesign,
Take a chance & get a key made, it costs 50-75Rs. in Delhi. If it works, you can also get foldable key fobs.

Link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ippy-keys.html
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 12:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
But the ICAT-800's key has a FAT rubber fob.

With the thin hard plastic key, I doubt if the protection is enough to guard the RFID chip inside.

@ byDesign,
Take a chance & get a key made, it costs 50-75Rs. in Delhi. If it works, you can also get foldable key fobs.

Link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ippy-keys.html
Thank you! What if it doesn't work? Will the car start and then disable itself or something? Or will it just not start? I don't want to have an immobilized engine, where I have to call Fiat road assistance.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Indian Versions do not come with immobilizer IIRC - nothing is mentioned in the GTX, S10 and 1.6 Sport Brochures and the owner manuals of the GTX and 1.6 Sport. No engine immobilizer icon / LED on the dash as well. No results on Fiat Forum as well.

IMO you can go ahead and make a duplicate key. do you have a pic of the bent key?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 9th July 2011 at 13:39.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I don't want to have an immobilized engine, where I have to call Fiat road assistance.
UPDATE: Fiat Palio SDE,and SDX does have a Single Code Engine Immobilizer.

The cost of a replacement key is about ~5k at the showroom.

IMO, go to a professional key maker, get it done for half the price.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Indian Versions do not come with immobilizer..
Name:  Immobiliser.png
Views: 2519
Size:  189.9 KB

I'm surprised that the 1.6 doesnt have it, where as the 1.1 stile has it. The service engineer confirmed that the SDE and SDX versions have the sigle code immobiliser.

Last edited by dhanushs : 9th July 2011 at 13:47.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 13:54   #13
BHPian

My Adventure (1.6 petrol 2002 model) has a factory fitted immobilizer. I had to change the lock set once and the A55 had to re-program the ECU - a set of switch on / off sequences.
My 2 bits: make a roadside key check if the car starts if not then back to the A55.

Last edited by rmonie : 9th July 2011 at 13:55.
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 13:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I'm surprised that the 1.6 doesnt have it, where as the 1.1 stile has it. The service engineer confirmed that the SDE and SDX versions have the sigle code immobiliser.
Thanks! The documents that i have with me doesn't mention anything about Stile` versions. All documents are of retro palios (GTX, S10 and 1.6 Sports).

I am surprized to see that 1.1 Stile comes with an immobilizer and i still do not believe that
Old 9th July 2011, 14:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

a bit of further research threw these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
Last Friday I got my furnace red Palio MJD, SDX model which does not have an engine immobilizer. I would like to go for one that comes from FIAT (CODE).

I have enquired about this in the showroom (Prerana Motors, BLR), I was told that this can be done in their service center and suggested me to contact their service center.

but an official press release says something else (according to them all Stile' Models 1.1, 1.6 and 1.3MJD come with immobilizer

Multijet_launch.pdf

according to PUG, 1.1 SLX comes with immobilizer - read more here PUG

I stand corrected - "some" Palios come with factory fitted engine immobilizer.

BD - best of luck - take care
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks