Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 14:25   #1
BHPian

Remapping - Laura TDI CR with EDC17 ECU

T-Bhpians,

This is a thread specifically on remapping the Laura TDI CR engines with EDC17 ECU. As you are aware the Laura Manual comes with the same internals as the Laura DSG (AT) but has a de-tuned engine map outputting 110PS power and 250NM Troque as compare the Laura DSG(AT) which has an output of 140PS power and 320NM torque.

Apart from the ECU map difference, the only other difference I am aware off is the fact that the Manual car does not have DPF whereas the AT comes with a DPF. If anything this is a blessing in disguise.

So what options do we have here in India to reclaim the 30PS power and 70 PS torque that the manual car has been robbed off. Since the internals between the manual and AT match, this reclaim should not cause any significant risk of failure assuming the map is of a good quality.

Here i have already discarded tuning boxes, chips, resistors etc as options, since they can never match the quality of a good remap.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Remapping - Laura TDI CR with EDC17 ECU

AFAIK the 110hp engine is SOHC and 140hp is DOHC, please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. I would be closely following this thread.

If there is no change in the internals, and as both the cars run in India (same fuel tuning), then why would Skoda detune the manual?. More surprising is that the car with DPF produces more power. May be the company was targeting a FE aware market with the Manual.

And are the power/torque figures at the crank?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AFAIK the 110hp engine is SOHC and 140hp is DOHC, please correct me if i am wrong.
Anushman, as per THIS , both cars come with the exact similar engines, with different tuning.

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th August 2011 at 15:32.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Since the internals between the manual and AT match, this reclaim should not cause any significant risk of failure assuming the map is of a good quality.
Could be that the manual transmission (or clutch) is not rated for the higher torque / BHP?
Old 17th August 2011, 16:10   #5
BHPian

@ GTO - Yup i do suspect the clutch and the transmission are rated for lower power and could put these at elevated risk.

@ anushuman - Engines as far as I understand are identical.
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Yeti comes with 140 hp Manual transmission engine. If one can evaluate the gearbox of the Yeti with 110 hp Manual Laura, it could throw some light.

If the gearbox and clutch of the Yeti matches with manual Laura 110 hp, then the Yeti ECU could be a plug-n-play.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 18:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If the gearbox and clutch of the Yeti matches with manual Laura 110 hp, then the Yeti ECU could be a plug-n-play.
AFAIK the Yeti comes with a six speed MT whereas the Laura 110 hp comes with a five speed MT.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:58   #8
BHPian

Coming back to the question on options for remaps..any suggestions on where and how can one get a remap?

Can the original 140 BHP map present on the DSG version of the car also be installed on the manual version? Thoughts/ideas please?
Old 18th August 2011, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting thread indeed. Shall keep a close watch on this.
Even AFAIK, both the engines are indentical. If thats the case, the remap should be possible, NO? Of course, taking into consideration that we are not using boxes, chips et al.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

All three models of 2.0 Tdi VW engine i.e. 110hp, 140hp, 170hp uses different turbo setup. The 110hp uses a smaller garett turbo whereas 140 & 170hp engine uses the borg warner turbo.
You could get a remap that is meant for the 110hp engine. Look out at custom code, uk or Revo Technik for the remap. Alternately you could also check with Peter at Petes performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could be that the manual transmission (or clutch) is not rated for the higher torque / BHP?
Both 110hp & 140hp uses the same clutch setup. The 170hp setup has uprated clutch setup.

Last edited by Invinsible : 18th August 2011 at 19:31.
Invinsible is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 22:19   #11
BHPian

The engines look to be the same, could be verified if someone has VW ETKA (Electronic parts catalogue). ELSAWIN reports the following on the VW Motors
  • CLCA - used on Skoda Laura, MT and VW Jetta (outgoing version), 110 bhp
  • CLCB - used on Skoda Laura, AT, 140 bhp

ELSAWIN Screenshot
Remapping - Laura TDI CR with EDC17 ECU-vw-tdi-motors.png
Old 19th August 2011, 08:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
All three models of 2.0 Tdi VW engine i.e. 110hp, 140hp, 170hp uses different turbo setup. The 110hp uses a smaller garett turbo whereas 140 & 170hp engine uses the borg warner turbo.
You could get a remap that is meant for the 110hp engine. Look out at custom code, uk or Revo Technik for the remap. Alternately you could also check with Peter at Petes performance.

Both 110hp & 140hp uses the same clutch setup. The 170hp setup has uprated clutch setup.
@Invinsible -(finding it hard to pose a question to someone who is Invinsible ) Where did you get this info on turbo in 110hp vs 140hp begin different, clutch setup being same. I am assuming for the clutch setup you are refering to 140hp Manual which is not avl in India.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Invinsible -(finding it hard to pose a question to someone who is Invinsible ) Where did you get this info on turbo in 110hp vs 140hp begin different, clutch setup being same. I am assuming for the clutch setup you are refering to 140hp Manual which is not avl in India.
VW group has always given the same engine in different state of tune with the help different turbo, intercooler, fuel pump setup.
Their 1.9 PD engine was available 3 different state of tune, one of them being 105bhp which we had in earlier laura. Internationally the same engine was available in 140 and 170hp. VW used smaller garrett turbo with engines with lesser output compared to their counterparts. Borg warner turbo are used in engines with higher output. Like the Earlier VRs that came with 150hp here and was sold internationally with 180hp. The 150hp engine used Borgwarner k03 turbo and 180hp engine used the K03s turbo. Difference being in the flange and opening. In some models they also used the K04 which a size bigger than the K03.
In regards to the Laura that you have, I confirmed with Custom Code UK, as looking for a remap for a friend who has the Laura 110hp engine and learnt that indeed this engine is using different turbo setup in all three models 110,140,170hp. This was also confirmed by one Skoda workshop manager.
Also, if you will google, you will get some more details on this.
Once such discussion you will in TDI club forum Questions: Borg Warner BV43 Turbo for AFN TDI 110bhp - TDIClub Forums

With custom code mapping this engine can achieve 145hp.

Last edited by Invinsible : 19th August 2011 at 11:46.
Invinsible is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 09:36   #14
BHPian

Here is what i believe a mini breakthrough. And I am profusely thankful to luky_13 for this! Yesterday at his behest i got under the hood of my car which is a 110hp manual CR Laura, noted the turbo part number as well as the injectors part number. Compared this with the part numbers on luky_13's 140hp auto CR Laura and eureka the part numbers match, exact, ditto!

Further got this info corroborated on ELSAWIN (skoda workshop manual) these parts indeed bear the same OEM part numbers.

Now a question to the experts: what other parts should i look to compare before establishing it indeed is just a difference in fuel map?

And I need more inputs on the remapping itself, so do send in your responses!
rohitm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 11:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is what i believe a mini breakthrough. And I am profusely thankful to luky_13 for this! Yesterday at his behest i got under the hood of my car which is a 110hp manual CR Laura, noted the turbo part number as well as the injectors part number. Compared this with the part numbers on luky_13's 140hp auto CR Laura and eureka the part numbers match, exact, ditto!
I remember reading on briskoda too that the turbos for the 110 and 140bhp are the same, but the 170bhp is different. There was a full thread on this there, have a look.

Most Viewed