Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 22:36   #16
BHPian

re: Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?

I see this is an old thread over an year old, but thought will share my view. I had attempted to put a product call "Auto Clutch". It was offered at a place near Shanthi Nagar bus stand. The cost was approx INR 13k with installation. I have test driven their car Ford Ikon petrol. It was pretty nifty. The feature had some kind of sensor or something, it did a half clutch in a gradient. I was having a ligament tear on my left ankle and so considered fitting it. But later bought my wife an i10 Auto and ditched the idea of putting this product to my Indigo Marina.

The only thing one need to watch out is accidental gear shifts at high speeds. Unlike an AT where there are mechanisms to prevent moving the gear to reverse while in forward motion, this product doesn't check all that. It can fall into reverse and destroy your tranny and more over cause a serious wreck and injury.

In all, it was a good product. I am not giving the guy's number as I am not sure if that number still works and he still sells the product.

Here is the link to a set of posts on this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-review-2.html
Old 7th July 2014, 21:08   #17
BHPian

The practicality of installing an Automated Manual transmission

I have seen a separate thread discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) but it does not dwell into the practicality of installing one in the car of your choice.

For the uninitiated here is a detailed description on the product -
Automated Manual Transmission (AMT, also called Freechoice) from Magneti Marelli is a electro-hydraulic mechanism for automating manual transmission which derives from Formula 1. It combines comfort of use with a reduction in consumption, and can be applied to any transmission, with production costs that are consequently lower compared to traditional automatic transmissions.

AMT is based on an electronic control unit and a hydraulic system that supervise the use of the clutch and the gear shifting, allowing the driver to change gear without using the clutch, either sequentially or fully automatically.

The device from Magneti Marelli operates on the manual transmission of a car in the same way as the driver would: it opens and closes the clutch, engages and disengages the gears and, when necessary, it also controls the choice of transmission (automatic or sequential mode for changing gear). These three control movements are ensured by three specific hydraulic actuators, controlled by hydraulic electro-valves.

All the components in the hydraulic unit are gathered together in a single kit. It is delivered to the car manufacturer sealed and ready to be installed in the gearbox. Once assembled in the gearbox, the hydraulic kit mechanically interfaces with the gear drive shaft.

The heart and intelligence of the gear control system is the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Taking into account the driver’s requirements and the operating conditions of the vehicle, it manages the gear changes by controlling the clutch, the gears and the engine.

Thanks to the electronic optimization of the gear change and the coupling with the engine control means the AMT is able to ensure less consumption than a car with manual transmission: lower consumption also means lower emissions, especially of CO2. In some of the best applications of the AMT on mass-production automobiles, a 5% reduction in fuel consumption was recorded compared to the automatic transmission version of the same automobiles, as well as a reduction in emissions equal to 5 g/km of CO2.

The latest generation of AMT is known as “mechatronic”, as for the first time, it combines the electronic control part and the hydraulic actuation part of the transmission in a single kit. This allows considerable improvements to performance, both in terms of speed and comfort when changing gear. This is the latest step in the evolution of a product which was first introduced to the car market with the Ferrari 355 F1 in July 1997. The product is still undergoing “sharp” growth in performance.

So now to the most important question. Can this be retrofitted ?
autotranny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 14:37   #18
BHPian

Re: Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?

With the Magneti Marelli AMT available as a proven technology now, are there any folks offering it as a retro-fitment on a conventional vehicle that I own ?
Old 29th July 2017, 00:28   #19
BHPian

Was just wondering if a manual xuv can be converted to an automatic transmission if aisin transmission is procured. Would be a good project.

Any ideas where the accident vehicles that get totalled end up? Curious if parts do end up for sale.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Was just wondering if a manual xuv can be converted to an automatic transmission if aisin transmission is procured. Would be a good project.

Any ideas where the accident vehicles that get totalled end up? Curious if parts do end up for sale.
Converting an Auto to Manual will not only require the transmission, but also many other parts including the ECU.Since the XUV has an automatic variant , I believe it will be possible , however will require a lot of work which comes with a cost.

Considering the cost of the parts required , cost of the work and the perfection of the work , I personally suggest you to get yourself a Automatic XUV 500 as the factory fit will be more reliable and easy to maintain.
JozfGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:15   #21

Can this thread be revived with 2023 information, I want to convert a manual to an AMT as an experiment.
Old 13th January 2023, 03:55   #22
BHPian

Even I would like to know different possibilities regarding conversion of manual transmission to AMT using latest technologies. Googling, all I could find is this:

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...a-motors-77866

It seems different companies source the transmission from select few vendors.

Last edited by Sumedik : 13th January 2023 at 04:15.
Old 13th January 2023, 08:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbug View Post
Can this thread be revived with 2023 information, I want to convert a manual to an AMT as an experiment.
It is possible to convert a manual to an automatic. It has been done before on many project cars. That being said, it isn't easy, it isn't cheap, it isn't reliable, and it will most certainly cause issues with your warranty and insurance. Is it worth the headache? That's for you to decide. If you still want to go ahead and do it, procure the workshop manual for your car first and check the complete disassembly process for the manual tranny and the complete assembly process for the auto tranny. In addition, you'll also need a new ECU and some additional wiring harness, hydraulics etc.

Take a look at below video where they attempt to convert an automatic car to manual:

Last edited by vedirah : 13th January 2023 at 08:22.
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 16:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
It is possible to convert a manual to an automatic. It has been done before on many project cars. That being said, it isn't easy, it isn't cheap, it isn't reliable, and it will most certainly cause issues with your warranty and insurance. Is it worth the headache? That's for you to decide. If you still want to go ahead and do it, procure the workshop manual for your car first and check the complete disassembly process for the manual tranny and the complete assembly process for the auto tranny. In addition, you'll also need a new ECU and some additional wiring harness, hydraulics etc.

Take a look at below video where they attempt to convert an automatic car to manual:

https://Youtu.be/vojsscI61Sk
Lovely video. Even with a 20+ year old E36, one has to spend a lot of time not only with the transmission swap, but the ECU neutering. With a current generation car, the minute you pull the ECU out, it's likely to kill just about every safety feature on the car, be it ESP, ABS, or traction control. In addition to this, an automatic from the factory would have tons of optimization on the ECU, made to increase efficiency, and unless one is really good at hacking ECUs, the Frankenstein automatic will suck badly; the power will be off, the fuel efficiency abysmal, and as you rightly mentioned, the car will just be plain unreliable. And nobody in the world would be stupid enough to buy a car this far removed from stock, so when the owner would like to dump it, it'll have to end up in a compactor and not in a car lot, so there's that too!
Old 16th January 2023, 13:39   #25

Supermax and vedirah thank you for the comments now that we are on it May be I can talk about my intentions and plan.

1. I am not an enthusiast or a petrolhead as they say, but I do have a liking of cars built during the decade of 2005-2015.

2. I have a car (Ford Fiesta 2011) that I am willing to sacrifice for this noble cause. I love the cars btw my daily driver is 2015 classic. It was the last car I. Pune before after they pulled the plug in that model.

3. I am into computer/sever hardware business and have witnessed moors law closer than anyone right from versions to pricing.

4. I believe there should be mooors law playing in the automotive world as well. Where there can be a scenario or a market for re-usability & repurposing that can possible.

These are the reasons I have a spike to try and convert a well conditioned working manual to an automatic.

Now my question is if there is an FNG willing to invest his time and skill on the project, I am willing to finance the project & that is the quest.
Old 16th January 2023, 16:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbug View Post
Now my question is if there is an FNG willing to invest his time and skill on the project, I am willing to finance the project & that is the quest.
This sacrifice that you are speaking of, is not noble or worthwhile. The closest to reliable swap one could think of between manual & automatic (either way) is when the car has been sold with both gearboxes and you are replacing one OEM gearbox with the other. Like others have mentioned, this needs a lot of hardware changes and coding even with the OEM swap. A lot of people have thought of replacing the DQ200 with DQ250 in the Octavia and sometimes the 6-speed manual as well, but eventually given up understanding how much it costs to import a gearbox with our ridiculous customs duties. Sourcing a new OEM gearbox and the swap job in total may cost more than the estimated current value of the car itself.

This is painful, tiring and will benefit no one, maybe not even your FNG. To maintain their reputation, most good FNGs will refuse to work on such a project, because your car will be parked there very often. It is not a pleasant sight for a reputed FNG to have the same car parked for continuous repairs when their regular customers walk in and say "Oh, now what happened?". This will only get worse if you are thinking of picking up an old gearbox from some corner of the country.

A better idea here would be to sell the current car and buy a pre-owned from the same era that you've mentioned in #1. This may actually save 2 cars instead of 1, so your point #4 is also covered in the process.
Old 16th January 2023, 16:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post

1. The closest to reliable swap one could think of between manual & automatic (either way) is when the car has been sold with both gearboxes and you are replacing one OEM gearbox with the other.

2. Sourcing a new OEM gearbox and the swap job in total may cost more than the estimated current value of the car itself.

3. This is painful, tiring

4. if you are thinking of picking up an old gearbox from some corner of the country.

Thank you for the great response, actually brings up a lot of new questions that I wanted to understand as well and share my response to each points that I noted above.

1. Yes I too think that is the closest reliable way is where the cavity was built to accommodate on the assembly line itself.

2. May be there is a way that can be used, I am into import export and have regular transactional access to these markets in Middle East

3. I can understand but the outcome might be worth the pain.

4. I’ll probably buy another manual after market and that was sold with both options and source and retrofit - how does that sound ?

Old 1st May 2023, 23:19   #28

Hello Tbhp members,

Recently I came across "Auto Clutch" solutions for any manual car.

https://automateindia.in/

Can anyone share their views on such implementations and aftereffects of the same?

Thanks.

Most Viewed