Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 14:26   #1

Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?

Hi BHPians,

I recently am feeling that for my driving an auto would be preferrable. However, I own a scorpio with manual transmission just about 3 years old and having done only about 31.7 k km.was wondering if it would make sense to convert my stick shift to auto or is it even poossible? If not, are there other options?

Thanks in advance for any inputs,
Cheers,
Pramodh
Old 5th September 2011, 18:04   #2
BHPian

Re: convert manual transmission to auto for a scorpio

Hi all,
I also have a similar querry but for a different vehicle. I dont know how to start a new thread and hence posting my querry on this thread considering that it will be appropriate to do so.

My querry is that I own an I 20 CRDI and I am very happy with the car and it is one of the few first batch CRDIs which came with sunroof, 6 airbags and rear disc brakes which is not available now and they are my favourite features. Off late I am feeling that I will be happy driving an automatic as it is very tiring to drive a manual. I also was planning to upgrade to Fludic Verna Automatic but its little expensive and the handling is also not so great.

So after I read this post I also felt that if I could convert my I 20 CRDI into an automatic I can continue to retain my car for another few years and save good lot of money on upgradation atleast till I can buy a compact automatic SUV or Softroader within my budget of 15 lacs in all.

Now since the Fuldic Verna is offered with an automatic transmission can the same transmission be procured from any Hyundai service center and be fitted on my I 20 CRDI. If it is possible where can it be done and how much will it cost me. Will I also be able to sell my manual gearbox. Please suggest.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

The modification would be time consuming, tedious, expensive, and sometimes, a failure. I do not recommend making extensive changes to the integral parts of the car, like the transmission.

Later Scorpios did come with an automatic-transmission. I think they were torque-converter automatics. Same goes for the Hyundai i20.

If you are very serious about driving an automatic car, I'd say, get an automatic car. Several cars are now available with ATs.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodhrao View Post
Hi BHPians,

I recently am feeling that for my driving an auto would be preferrable. However, I own a scorpio with manual transmission just about 3 years old and having done only about 31.7 k km.was wondering if it would make sense to convert my stick shift to auto or is it even poossible? If not, are there other options?

Thanks in advance for any inputs,
Cheers,
Pramodh
Hey pramodh. converting a manual to an auto is a highly complicated process, besides being expensive.
Your most sensible option would be to go in for an automatic car with a factory fitted auto tranny. The Scorpio automatic is the most expensive option in their line up. Other auto SUVs are far more expensive. You have other options like i10 auto, i 20 auto, vento auto, etc
But if you want to retain your car, you can try something called an automatic clutch. This can be fitted on most cars. I am not sure how the thing works, but AFAIK, the clutch pedal need not be depressed and you can just go about shifting gears.
There is more info right here on Team-bhp. Find the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ch-review.html

Last edited by SCORPION : 5th September 2011 at 19:03.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 19:33   #5

Thanks, scorpion. One of my uncles had this fitted after his leg had to be amputated due to an accident. I was not looking at this as an option. However was curious to see what was available in the market. Just as an after thought, does anyone know how much a scorpio lx 2.6 crde 2008 sept 31.7k clocked could fetch me if I exchange it in Mahindra itself?
TIA
Pramodh
Old 5th September 2011, 20:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

automate

check out this website and decide.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:30   #7

pamodhrao ,friend this is one of those Frankenstein surgeries. Advice don't even think about it!! the clutch interface with a third party device only spells doom and the swapped transition from another grey market or accident obtained will never mesh properly . Think smaller cheaper automatic. Happy motoring
Dr.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 05:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would not advise for this conversion, back in 2002 when Automatic's are either not available for all cars/models and if were available was too expensive. We had some company come to the office and present their product to get rig of clutch (Not sure what was it called). Some of the ladies in the office went ahead with that. I think it costed about 20K, i might be wrong, but 7 years later i met i older colleagues again and casually asked how their older cars (Which we had bought together) were doing, all of them had sold and bought new ones but the ones who had converted to the Auto Transmission had sold it earlier as the product started giving problems from the first year itself.

So bottom line, its not worth it. If you really need it buy a Automatic car.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 08:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodhrao View Post
Thanks, scorpion. One of my uncles had this fitted after his leg had to be amputated due to an accident. I was not looking at this as an option. However was curious to see what was available in the market. Just as an after thought, does anyone know how much a scorpio lx 2.6 crde 2008 sept 31.7k clocked could fetch me if I exchange it in Mahindra itself?
TIA
Pramodh
Pl look for a private buyer for your LX ; don't exchange at the dealer's as you'd be ripped off.

Also the manual to auto upgrade is better not done ; it would call for an ECM change,retrofitting an auto gearbox,levers,building interlocks,and even changing the console ; at the end of it all,you'll get a product which may leave you stuck on the road.

As friends have suggested,look for a smaller auto -preferably Jap
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:25   #10

Thanks everyone for replying and your valuable suggestions. I am so in love with scorpio that I am not sure if I want to do a sedan unless it is a brand that attracts me (maybe a merc or a bmw ) but cannot afford it right now. Am in no hurry to change but I think of all the cities in India, Bangalore would have the max auto tranny cars in the near future given the density of vehicles and the speeds at which they move.

Will not mod my existing scorpio.

Thanks again and this thread can be closed (not sure if I am allowed to do it).

pramodhrao
Old 10th October 2011, 10:32   #11

re: Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?

well, I guess I spoke too soon about not needing an auto tranny. I decided to go ahead and replace my scorpio with something that comes in pre-built with AT. Hence decided to go in for 2 cars instead of 1. First I have picked up an A-Star AT and have blocked my fluidic verna diesel AT (expecting it in some months :(). I have been driving the A-Star for the last few days and suddenly my city driving is almost tension free . I will post my findings with the A-Star AT VXI and a KB10 engine in a separate thread.
Thanks all!
pramodhrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 00:05   #12
BHPian

Re: Petrol car to Diesel car conversion - Possible?

Sorry for going offtopic but i have a similar query, in that case can a manual be converted in automatic?
Old 1st June 2012, 00:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Sorry for going offtopic but i have a similar query, in that case can a manual be converted in automatic?

Depends on what car you want to do it. The old Honda city's used to come with both manual and Automatic transmissions. It can be done but then you'd need to change lots of things their also on MPFI cars-

1). Wiring
2). ECU
3). Meter console
4). Gearbox
5). Drive shafts
6). Torque converter
7). Flywheel
8). Gear lever
9). Gear lever console
10). Linkages

There are definately more things. These are some things i remember off hand. Why would someone want to do that ? People normally do the opposite of converting from Automatic to manual.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Depends on what car you want to do it. The old Honda city's used to come with both manual and Automatic transmissions. It can be done but then you'd need to change lots of things their also on MPFI cars-

1). Wiring
2). ECU
3). Meter console
4). Gearbox
5). Drive shafts
6). Torque converter
7). Flywheel
8). Gear lever
9). Gear lever console
10). Linkages

There are definately more things. These are some things i remember off hand. Why would someone want to do that ? People normally do the opposite of converting from Automatic to manual.
Guys,

There is a system available that when put into your car, can make your gears as "semi-automatic". What they essentially do is that they change your gear stick....the new one as a sensor on it. Anytime your thumb hits that sensor, it would activate the system and would make the clutch be pressed. The best part is that there is a button to turn it on or off. So, you can use the manual anytime you want, yet giving you the comfort of not having to press the clutch during the dreaded city driving. I've used this on two of my Opel Corsa's and it worked like a charm. This was used way back in 2005/6/7.

I'm sure now that is much improved. I'll find out more details about this and let you'll know. Not sure if it's dead or alive. But it certainly served my purpose at that time. Guess, this should about solve people's "city" problems (constant clutch changes).

Note one draw back that I saw was that, there's no way you can "half-press" the clutch. It's either fully pressed or not at all. Atleast that was the case in my system about 5 - 6 years ago. Not sure if they've improved on their technology. But despite the drawback, it was a huge boon for me.
NannuBhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 17:20   #15
BHPian

re: Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?

After reading about it here, I tried searching for such a product. AUTO-mate India produces a Autoclutch which basically makes clutch redundant. When I called their Delhi dealer, he quoted 45,000/- for my Beat (Diesel). Now based on discussion on this thread -
1. What's the reliability of such a product?
2. What could be the possible drawbacks of shifting to such a system?
3. Pricing - what do you feel is the right price for such a product? I feel anything above 20-25K is over the top.
Their site also mention a under development product ACGS which will practically convert the whole car into automatic and you just have to apply the first gear when you start from stand-still. Their dealer said this is 4-6 months away from the launch. What do you guys think about this product?

Epilogue: My Beat (D) is just 6 months old, so while I can put in money if it adds to ease of driving (esp. for my wife), I can't take risk of un-reliability. Thus this post is more from academic interest than some immediate action on my car

P.S. Moderators, do you think it make sense to rename the thread. May be to "Converting manual transmission to Automatic?"

Most Viewed