Team-BHP - :: Proposed Mod's for My Santro :: Suggestions/Critique
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   :: Proposed Mod's for My Santro :: Suggestions/Critique (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/10876-proposed-mods-my-santro-suggestions-critique-2.html)

s0uljah
I will shortly complete 50,000 kms after which a major service is due.
I plan on installing a universal conical air-filter,**** Go for it bro..

Im interested about going in for a free flow exhaust setup but I will decide based on the
cost factor and also answers to my questions below. (I read on the other santro mod thread
that the complete setup comes to around 10k) My car will definately be sold within
6 months (if not earlier) so unsure as to whether I should invest much on the car. *** If you are going to sell the car i suggest you dont touch the exhaust.. its expensive and also you cannot fit it on any other car you buy later on

My questions :

* At the time of selling my car besides the Air-filter, how much of the freeflow
setup can be salvaged and maybe used on another vehicle ? Alternately will there be
some sort of a resale value?***No resale value for the free flow.. but you can use the airfilter on the new car ou buy.

* If i dont got for the entire free-flow (no headers), whats an estimate for replacing muffler/silencer tip
(automech or anything else)*** depends on what muffler you are looking at.. stainless steel anywhere between 3.5K to 5.5K. Locally made within 1.5 to 2K

* Bangalore baba's, who do you recommend for a good job?
I know psycho & Dom will be the names that get thrown up!!!
guess now that Im on this forum they will be approachable :)

Thanks in advance to everybody and a special shout out to Godfather & Nitrous *** welcome Bro.
for dealing with my questions and also providing imputs.

Hi

Yesterday i went 2 Automech & installed a Full Free Flow Exhaust System.

It took few hours to setup on my Santro, but after the setup when i tested the ride it was a real vrrooom vrromm kinda i m driving a sports car.

It was nice to c the eyes turning around on my car.

Automech Guy (Vivek) did a good job.

I m Satisfied with the work.

I also installed a K&N Stock Replacement Filter for my car.

Now i m planning to go in for changing my Spark Plugs. (Suggestion Awaited)

Thanx. Enjoy Revving

@rareone, how much did it cost. was it all stainless steel one. And sound...medium mode or ?

and what abt pollution? wont they catalytic convertors be thrown away?

The Automech took 9k from me dont knw abt catalytic converter (it must b removed). I dont c a rise in pollution.

The Four Seasons Automotive took Rs. 3790/- less 5% discount for K&N Filter.

But the sound & drive is 2 die for.

So Enjoy Revving...

Godfather : Thanks for your response. Will be in touch with you shortly when I plan on getting any work done.
Look at Model EV500: Polyurethane Filters @ http://www.pjspeedshop.com/Filters.htm

It costs 2.1k and I will have to also procure a piping/tube for the filter. Any suggestions?

Rareone : Hey congrats man, enjoy the ride and keep a log of
your cars performance... and most important, stay safe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
Yup the whole thing. Check the site. I mailed them but I forgot to ask teh price:(

I had a mail from them but did not mention individual prices. Will revert as I get the details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah
Godfather : Thanks for your response. Will be in touch with you shortly when I plan on getting any work done.
Look at Model EV500: Polyurethane Filters @ http://www.pjspeedshop.com/Filters.htm

It costs 2.1k and I will have to also procure a piping/tube for the filter. Any suggestions?

yeah.. the filter looks ok.. as for the piping dont worry. either we can buy one like the one i am having on my car and alter it to fit / or we can fit the airfilter to the existing stock rubber intake that the car already comes with.

Ok godfather, sounds good:) Need to run another 1 - 1.5k mileage on the car and complete the 50000kms service, plan on putting in the filter after that.

@s0uljha: I'm running the EV500 on my baleno and vouch for it... Its a brilliant filter.. It gives a pretty good increase in the mid-range of the baleno, dunno about the santro tho..

If you're looking at a free flow from the sound aspect, you dont need a FF after the EV500, it gives a GROWL which is very neat... otherwise if you're looking for performace, you're best bet would be to remove the end muffler which reduces back pressure, i think shan2nu can shed some more light on this...

cheers!
Shrivz..

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrivz
@s0uljha: I'm running the EV500 on my baleno and vouch for it... Its a brilliant filter.. It gives a pretty good increase in the mid-range of the baleno, dunno about the santro tho....

thanks for the input dude!! Uptil now everyone has given rave reviews about the r-active series... I think nitrous, manson and a few others had vouched for it back in the day when i started this thread.

Reason for my wanting to mod was not for vroom factor but to improve the cars top end.
I ruled out all the minor performance mods because of poor stock tyres on my car. Going a bit ice crazy instead :Shockked:

Besides the lancer would be a better option for tweaking up (my jap loving mentality lol), will venture into ome basic performance mods, should slowly happen once we get a new car... hehe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrivz
[...] otherwise if you're looking for performace, you're best bet would be to remove the end muffler which reduces back pressure, i think shan2nu can shed some more light on this...
Shrivz..

Actually last month while drving to Mumbai, my Santro's muffler and tail pipe fell off due to rusting -- but the catalytic converter was intact. It was quite an experience in very heavy rain -- I just drove on for about 2-3 kms with the tail pipe dragging along and managed to reach a workshop -- I know I shouldn't have done that, but didn't want to stop in the night at a desolate spot near Ghatkopar. Threw out the tail pipe and muffler -- there was an increase in the sound, obviously (nice roar), but I couldn't detect much of an increase in the performance of the car while driving back to Pune without silencer. Maybe a very marginal increase in pick-up. So I doubt if freeflow exhaust will be worthwhile for my model at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
Actually last month while drving to Mumbai, my Santro's muffler and tail pipe fell off due to rusting -- but the catalytic converter was intact. It was quite an experience in very heavy rain -- I just drove on for about 2-3 kms with the tail pipe dragging along and managed to reach a workshop -- I know I shouldn't have done that, but didn't want to stop in the night at a desolate spot near Ghatkopar. Threw out the tail pipe and muffler -- there was an increase in the sound, obviously (nice roar), but I couldn't detect much of an increase in the performance of the car while driving back to Pune without silencer. Maybe a very marginal increase in pick-up. So I doubt if freeflow exhaust will be worthwhile for my model at least.

Hey Buddy,

With no offense to you I think you need to understand how a free flow works.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
So I doubt if freeflow exhaust will be worthwhile for my model at least.

I think a customised free flow would definately boost the cars performance.

I think viper(jignesh) would be in a position to comment on his experience with the santro.

edit : Lol the Viper attacked before I completed posting!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hey Buddy,

With no offense to you I think you need to understand how a free flow works.

OK, I did take a look at the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

(Look under "High-flow exhausts").

Basically there are two types of free flows -- ones that replace the tail pipe and muffler but leave the catalytic converter intact and ones that dispense with the catalytic converter as well. I am saying that the former type of free flow is not of much use. Because obviously removing the tail pipe and muffler downstream of the catalytic converter will give maximum possible free flow -- if one does want to retain the converter -- and I have already tried that. As per the above website, you get a 4-5 BHP increase if you are prepared to throw out the converter as well. After reading about the recent Santro incident on T-BHP where a family of four got gassed to death, I am not inclined to throw out the converter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
OK, I did take a look at the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

(Look under "High-flow exhausts").

Basically there are two types of free flows -- ones that replace the tail pipe and muffler but leave the catalytic converter intact and ones that dispense with the catalytic converter as well. I am saying that the former type of free flow is not of much use. Because obviously removing the tail pipe and muffler downstream of the catalytic converter will give maximum possible free flow -- if one does want to retain the converter -- and I have already tried that. As per the above website, you get a 4-5 BHP increase if you are prepared to throw out the converter as well. After reading about the recent Santro incident on T-BHP where a family of four got gassed to death, I am not inclined to throw out the converter.

Hi,

Either I missed reading about the headers or you have not yet understood the concept. A Free Flow Exhaust in actual terms comprises of tuned length headers + expansion chamber + rear muffler(without restrictions) + necessary inetrmediate pipes which are of a larger diameter than stock.

In your scenario you are nowhere close to that. The increase you feel is because of the sound. What you will experience is loss in FE.

Hope I made my point clear.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

Either I missed reading about the headers or you have not yet understood the concept. A Free Flow Exhaust in actual terms comprises of tuned length headers + expansion chamber + rear muffler(without restrictions) + necessary inetrmediate pipes which are of a larger diameter than stock.

In your scenario you are nowhere close to that. The increase you feel is because of the sound. What you will experience is loss in FE.

I get your point. The question is: what do you do to the converter? I suspect in your scenario you will modify the exhaust system from upstream of the converter and maybe throw out the converter? That should give a noticeable increase in performance, but at too heavy a price for me.

Edit: Quoting the website,

Quote:

Alternatively you can get header-back exhausts which replace everything from the exhaust header to the back, typically removing the catalyser in the process. These are sometimes affectionately referred to as catless or no-kitty exhausts.
Presumably you are referring to this type of free flow.

But if one restricts the mods to be strictly downstream of the converter (that is another type of free flow system, according to the website) then "no tail pipe and muffler downsteam of the converter" provides the least possible back-pressure -- as compared to any other free flow system. Am I right?