Team-BHP - :: Proposed Mod's for My Santro :: Suggestions/Critique
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   :: Proposed Mod's for My Santro :: Suggestions/Critique (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/10876-proposed-mods-my-santro-suggestions-critique-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
I get your point. The question is: what do you do to the converter? I suspect in your scenario you will modify the exhaust system from upstream of the converter and maybe throw out the converter? That should give a noticeable increase in performance, but at too heavy a price for me.

Edit: Quoting the website,

Presumably you are referring to this type of free flow.

But if one restricts the mods to be strictly downstream of the converter (that is another type of free flow system, according to the website) then "no tail pipe and muffler downsteam of the converter" provides the least possible back-pressure -- as compared to any other free flow system. Am I right?

Hi,

If I were to do a free flow it would involve headers + expansion + rear muffler and pipes no Catcon. A properly designed free flow will actually improve your FE in normal driving conditions and at the same time improve your power across the power band. (you can design the system for mid/top end power only also).

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
If I were to do a free flow it would involve headers + expansion + rear muffler and pipes no Catcon. A properly designed free flow will actually improve your FE in normal driving conditions and at the same time improve your power across the power band. (you can design the system for mid/top end power only also).

I will shortly be doing some mods on my Santro -- tyre change is due and I am planning for filter + intake pipe. I will definitely take your advice on what are the best options when I find some time off from my work (probably some time next month).

hello folks,
i've gone thru a bunch of threads regd K&N filters being fitted on santros, and i'm sold on the idea. i have a 2005 santro xing xg that i want to upgrade. i already have 165/65 R13 tubeless radials and alloys... so handling is already much improved.
but i needed a few clarifications before i take the plunge for the filter.
1. K&N unviersal conical vs K&N stock - from what i gathered, the conical will improve performance, and not FE so much. the stock gives better FE but a little less boost. but more importantly is it safe to fit a conical in a santro? given the engine space, water splashing issues etc?
Going by personal experience, which would u recommend?
2. how much will the intake pipe & other plumbing cost in case of the conical?
3. how tough are they to maintain? i read on K&N's site that they recommend a special cleaning/oling kit for the filters. is this available in india?
4. can anyone recommend a good place to get this mod done in kolkata? since this has to do with the engine i don't want to risk a shabby job (but i don't want to get ripped off either!)
5. can someone quote the exact model numbers for the 2 types of K&N air filters that can be fitted on a santro? i might need this while talking to the mod shops.
thanks in advance, and i apologize if this has been asked before.

Hi Razor,

I too own a Santro Xing and have fitted a conical filter with intake pipe on my car. Have clocked 22,000kms so far with no issues whatsoever. As far as your unserstanding that a conical reduces FE I will disagree. It gives you a combination of power and FE when driven normally. Both filters do the same job i.e. is provide more air. The conical does it better hence the extra power since it is not routed via small diameter pipes and is open element.

A badly/wrongly installed filter may have adverse effect (water splashing/exposure to heat)

The max a pipe and filter should cost you is Rs5k for filter + imported aluminium pipe. Locally fabricated MS pipes 200-300rs.

The K&N cleaning solotion(Filter Recharge Kit) is sold at authorised K&N dealers and costs approx Rs900/- One kit is good for approx 12-15 washes. A K&N requires washing maybe once in 6 months or so depends on dust conditions and where you stay.

Lastly there are several models of conical filters so that is difficult to say ranging from 3k to 6k for your Santro.

PM me me if you need any further help.

Viper

just spoke to a K&N dealer in my city. he doesn't stock conical filters separately, just the typhoon kit (asking 7.9k with installation)
is this kit suitable for santro? and is it better than the conical one alone? i'm assuming the kit includes the pipe.
any opinions on the typhoon? pros & cons vis-a-vis the conical filter? performance, FE, reliability issues etc...

Ok, not much response on the Typhoon kit :)
since this thread is about modifying santro's, i have another query for you folks.
is it advisable to fit a free flow exhaust on the xing? i've been reading that automech is one good option, and a friend mentioned proton.
since my car is just over a year old, i don't want to void my warranty by changing the exhaust. maybe fit just a sports muffler instead of changing the other parts? what say?
and has anyone done this in a santro? i looked under the car today, and saw that the muffler is tucked away a bit away from the bumper, in between the undercarriage and the suspension... not sure if its possible to fit a sports muffler - at least not one thats visible from behind. any insights on this?
thanks.

Hi,

A typhoon kit in my opinion is a waste of money if you are mainly into city driving and not into outright performance. Even then there are cheaper options which perform the same. There is one advantage though for people very fussy it is a simple fit and looks flashy.

Go right ahead and fit the exhaust and dont worry about the warranty. The muffler alone is a bad idea unless you want sound only. There will be no performance benefit.

Hope that helps.

Viper

hey souljah...i think the answer is simple. just hold on to your bucks if you're planning to sell the car. its a waste of time & money id you're gonna sell in a couple of months. i would advise you not to do the ICE you planned either...

i agree with NIP... just hold on to your bucks if you're planning to sell the car. its a waste of time & money

spoke to an automech guy, and he told me that the cat will have to be removed for the free flow exhaust. i'm a little uneasy about doing this...
- will this increase pollution levels beyond what is allowed?
- this will probably be an illegal mod
does everyone remove the cat when they get a free flow fitted? i went through another thread, when some ppl suggested the cat be retained.
also, has anyone faced issues driving around without a cat?