Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 14:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Painting the numberplate

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but in case it isn't, please suggest where I can post this.

The other day I was stopped by a traffic cop, a rare occurrence. After the mandatory request to view the license and enquiry about the vehicle papers, he revealed that the reason I was stopped was my number plate was not in order. I was surprised, since I don't use fancy numberplates and the lettering is also in Roman. I got down with a cleaning cloth, ready to wipe it clean in case any mud had splashed onto it (fat chance since rains are long gone).

The problem seemed to be the front number plate had rust spots in many places and the number indeed could not be read correctly from a distance. I acknowledged the fault and promised to attend to it immediately. I don't know if the matter was too small or whether he was impressed by my response, but he let me go.

Now once the promise has been made, it must be kept. So as soon as I was back from work I visited a local hardware store and procured white and black oil paint (50gm Rs. 20/- each) and a couple of brushes (I think size 6 and 8, with short length of hair).

I then repainted the entire surface around the lettering with the white paint, making sure to coat the rusted spots over and over three to four times. Then with a smaller brush I started working on the lettering, again coating the rusted surface three to four times, trying to reproduce the original lettering as neatly as possible.

Finally the work was done, after about two hours in all. Money spent was under Rs. 100, satisfaction immense!

For anyone else who is inclined to take up a similar DIY, I would like to point out a flaw which I realized after I finished half the work:

Use a masking tape (the black insulation tape would do too) to cover the lettering completely, so the remaining plate can be painted white without any hindrance, with a larger brush, even strokes and the entire finish would be much better.

Then removing the masking tape, you can paint the lettering.

The results of this DIY are nowhere compared to a professional quality numberplate, however the job can be easily done without any specialized knowledge or tools, can be done anytime (very important if you have to do it overnight) and provides a lot of satisfaction (the essence of any DIY).
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 15:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Painting the numberplate

If the number plate has started rusting, even the new coat of paint will start flaking off after a while.

Better to buy a new number plate, preferably high security type.

Rohan
Old 5th December 2011, 15:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

There's another option you could try out. Remember when the no. plate system was changed ie. private vehicles have black background.

For all existing vehicle no. plates, the sticker guys simply pasted a white sheet on the plate. And then, paste the numbered stickers.

So, if the plate is rusted, you could just paste that sheet over it.

Cost ~250 IIRC.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Honeybee. You have complied with the law and done a little DIY which you are obviously proud off!! Keep it up.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If the number plate has started rusting, even the new coat of paint will start flaking off after a while.

Better to buy a new number plate, preferably high security type.
No worries, I have hardly used any paint! I could always repaint it To be honest, I don't think going for a high security plate for an eight year old hatch would be a wise investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
So, if the plate is rusted, you could just paste that sheet over it.

Cost ~250 IIRC.
Yes, a good option, but painting has its own fun! That reminds me, if I could use white and black tape both, I could get both the background and the lettering done perfectly. I shall try this the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Nice Honeybee. You have complied with the law and done a little DIY which you are obviously proud off!! Keep it up.
Thanks for the compliments!
Old 6th December 2011, 15:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's illegal to have stickers in place of letters on the number plate. The back-ground as well as the font has to be painted on a metal number plate.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 16:53   #7
BHPian

True. It is illegal to have stickers for letters.
However, 99% of the cars i see have stickers. So, its just a rule that is not enforced at all probably because it does not make much sense too !

If one has to fake a plate, he can fake it with paint too.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I guess it's illegal to have stickers in place of letters on the number plate. The back-ground as well as the font has to be painted on a metal number plate.
I don't know if the numberplate has to be of metal, because I have a spare numberplate which is made of some acryllic-like material. And it has the black masking tape attached in place of the lettering!
Old 6th December 2011, 17:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sticker based lettering is not allowed as per rules. Another DIY is make stencil from computer print outs and then apply paint with a rubber foam. Done.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Hi everybody
Beat comes with a acrylic type of sheet with numbers stuck over it.Is it illegal in Bombay?The car was sold with this type.
Somebody please clarify.
Thanks and regards
Old 7th December 2011, 12:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think it's illegal. You will have to get it painted. I haven't tried painting on the acryllic surface, but worst case situation is you will have to switch to metallic plates. Follow up with the dealer for the same if he sold the car with numbers made out of tape and stuck to it.
Old 8th December 2011, 08:55   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Guys!
I have a question:
Why is an acrylic no. plate with letters & numbers stickered on it illegal?
What kind of rule is that?
Old 8th December 2011, 09:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but in case it isn't, please suggest where I can post this.

The other day I was stopped by a traffic cop, a rare occurrence. After the mandatory request to view the license and enquiry about the vehicle papers, he revealed that the reason I was stopped was my number plate was not in order. I was surprised, since I don't use fancy numberplates and the lettering is also in Roman. I got down with a cleaning cloth, ready to wipe it clean in case any mud had splashed onto it (fat chance since rains are long gone).

The problem seemed to be the front number plate had rust spots in many places and the number indeed could not be read correctly from a distance. I acknowledged the fault and promised to attend to it immediately. I don't know if the matter was too small or whether he was impressed by my response, but he let me go.

Now once the promise has been made, it must be kept. So as soon as I was back from work I visited a local hardware store and procured white and black oil paint (50gm Rs. 20/- each) and a couple of brushes (I think size 6 and 8, with short length of hair).

I then repainted the entire surface around the lettering with the white paint, making sure to coat the rusted spots over and over three to four times. Then with a smaller brush I started working on the lettering, again coating the rusted surface three to four times, trying to reproduce the original lettering as neatly as possible.

Finally the work was done, after about two hours in all. Money spent was under Rs. 100, satisfaction immense!

For anyone else who is inclined to take up a similar DIY, I would like to point out a flaw which I realized after I finished half the work:

Use a masking tape (the black insulation tape would do too) to cover the lettering completely, so the remaining plate can be painted white without any hindrance, with a larger brush, even strokes and the entire finish would be much better.

Then removing the masking tape, you can paint the lettering.

The results of this DIY are nowhere compared to a professional quality numberplate, however the job can be easily done without any specialized knowledge or tools, can be done anytime (very important if you have to do it overnight) and provides a lot of satisfaction (the essence of any DIY).
Hi, boss instead of all that rework again and again this method of fit it and forget it is best.Get those embossed type no. plates, directly from the manufecturers, at quite a diff in price as compared to those no. plates shop guys. Ishall PM you direct contact they deliver the plates it at your home.Rubb Rakhaa....
Attached Thumbnails
Painting the numberplate-cam31.jpg  

Old 8th December 2011, 09:35   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, boss instead of all that rework again and again this method of fit it and forget it is best.Get those embossed type no. plates, directly from the manufecturers, at quite a diff in price as compared to those no. plates shop guys. Ishall PM you direct contact they deliver the plates it at your home.Rubb Rakhaa....
Sirji,
Could you send the same across to me too.
I am also interested in getting these plates.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Please PM me the address and related cost you had to pay too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks