Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2006, 23:11   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Well this sounds great.
If you made the gap narrower I would suggest that you go back to a good mech and get your ignition settings checked.
I need to know how to get the ignition settings checked in case i do make the gap lesser on my plugs.
Old 23rd March 2006, 16:00   #17
BHPian

My Mileage With Iridium Plug In 95 Esteem With LPG

SO its almost more then a week now since I installed Iridium plug.

My mileage figure as follows.

With 45Kg of gas my car returned 490 in daily heavy stop & go traffic condition in Mumbai with much more acceleration & drivability compared to earlier.There is an increase of atleast 40 Km with full tank of 45Kg.

So I m getting benefit of not only increased power but good mileage too.I have already K & N replacement filter.

One thing noticed.Driving from 40 to 80+ is so good now.Car feels so light & responsive.

My ignition timing is advanced a few degree with LPG gas & spark plug gap is made narrow.

I m so much thankful to entire Team BHP members for giving me very useful information.

Enjoy..............
Old 24th March 2006, 23:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Well this sounds great.

If you made the gap narrower I would suggest that you go back to a good mech and get your ignition settings checked.

l
I asked a meahcanic on what happens when i reduce the gap and advance the timing his reply was that the fuel consumption would increase.. Please throw light on this
Old 25th March 2006, 00:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
My ignition timing is advanced a few degree with LPG gas & spark plug gap is made narrow..........
When did you do this. Was this at the same time you did the plugs? If you make 2 changes at the same time, it hard to tell which one is having a bigger effect.
Old 27th March 2006, 15:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
When did you do this. Was this at the same time you did the plugs? If you make 2 changes at the same time, it hard to tell which one is having a bigger effect.
Actually my ignition timing is advanced when i fitted gas kit.Its 10 degree now.Then I added K & N filter....and latest added NGK iridium plug.After plug installation....i felt good driving response & very good acceleration in city driving.I tried installing plug as it is but felt no such gain.Then decided to narrow down gap & result is good.

Enjoy...........
Old 27th March 2006, 22:33   #21
BHPian

I got the gap reduced on the iridium plugs to a 0.9, i havent increased the timing just got it checked after that, The car is a lot more responsive i must say. dont know about FE but will post once i check.
Old 23rd February 2007, 23:42   #22

Fine Tuning,

I am from cochin and I have a santro ERLX converted to LPG, giving me horrible FE and sad performance in city. I have tried two different Gas fitters and not much difference. A mechanic at the Hyndai dealership recommended that I replace the plugs with Mico plugs which have 4 electrodes and this may increase performance and FE. Do you have any idea about these plugs? will they make a difference. A friend has offered to give me K&N replacement filter for me to do a trial. I am seriously thinking of removing the LPG kit if this last experiment doesnt work. Your advice on this would be highly appreciated.
Old 24th February 2007, 01:55   #23
BHPian

does anyone have performance figures for petrol v/s LPG? 0-60 times or something like that? it would be interesting to know.
Old 24th February 2007, 21:01   #24
BHPian

Hi prem456,
Performance with lpg is the function of best tuning done with the help of good mechanic.......it must ne kept in mind that lpg being offering less calorific value must be used in slightly more quantity for the same result.....mens we need to have good amount of gas flow through settings which can be easily checked by any good mechanic......w have to adjust this air fuel setting till we feel no difference in performance or very near to petrol performance......this setting will be ideal for your car but you need to find it out......

Also whatever benefits you are passing by means of add on will surely result in good performance in lpg too......using good spark plug will be helpful.....but you need to set plug gap slightly lower then stock setting.....lpg burns slowly so we need good amount of spark to ignite it in a better way.....making gap narrower was useful in my case......also with lpg you need to increase your ignition timing for best result.....this can be easily done.....increased ignition timing of say 10 coupled with good plug like ngk iridium or other that have very less resistance are useful.....try increasing ignition timing & increasing gas flow at vapouriser end.....

Enjoy.....
Old 26th February 2007, 18:38   #25

Hi Finetuning.
If you have good results by putting KN on LPG, why some shops in bangalore are not recommending me to go for Stock replacement KN filter for my CORSA 1.4 GLS which runs on BRC LPG. Iam kind of stuck now... I want some good performance coupled with FE (now i get 8 FE). Is the stock replacement KN filter different for CORSA from that of an Esteem one. Any advice will be helpful
Old 27th February 2007, 14:53   #26
BHPian

Infact when I purchased my stock filter from dealer here in Mumbai they were also not sure about the benefits........basically its a more flow, unrestrictive & long lasting filter with good filtering capability......ther is no reason it must not work with lpg as an alternate fuel......may be proper tuning problem in lpg kit or with lpg or cng people spending as high as Rs.5000 for filter for performance boost are not satisfied just because of running with ill tuned kits......there is no way a good filter not help getting best out of stock engine with any kind of fuel..... I think filters for corsa is different from esteems......

Enjoy....
Old 27th February 2007, 17:39   #27

Hi Finetuning,

I had sent you a pm as reply to your message couple of days back. I dont know if it had reached you. Could you please answer a couple of queries I have. How can you adjust the timing of my santro, how can it be advanced. I dont think the Hyndai mechanic as well as my LPG mech has any idea about this. What is the recommended gap to be set for the spark plugs. Right now, the pickup and throtle responce is realy pathetic with AC on and the FE is general is bad just 7.5. I shall try and adjust the gas flow on the vapouriser end till i feel the performance has improved.

Prem
Old 28th February 2007, 00:57   #28
BHPian

Hi Prem,
Increasing ignition timing is simple work but must be done through mechanic......you need not do it yourself as they will check with ignition gun......you just need to mention how much you want.....Regarding plug gap there is no hard & fast rule....it must be lower then stock setting......in this case I tried many setting & found good reduced gap for my car........normally slight reduction from stock setting is essential......

One thing I can suggest is to add 0.8 ml 2T/ltr in petrol & drive car for a few km then switch to lpg.....now you will have some benefits running on lpg.....2T benefits are there even if we shift to lpg......smoothness & increase in pick up...also if you are regularly adding 2T then need to drive car at least for a km or half daily in the morning.......it worked well with me....

How is your car performing in petrol & FE in petrol?If there is some problem with tuning then get it checked.....

Enjoy....
Old 28th February 2007, 15:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
Hi Pshyco,

Indeed K & N gave more performance boost with correct carburetor setting.But what I meant to say that after installing iridium plug & narrowing down gap....really my car is much more responsive.....Acceleration is improved & can be felt.
Regarding setting of air srew.....it is definitly advisable to open it with K & N filter then open incoming gas setting at Vaporiser end.
Regarding spark plug.....i asked Four Season ppl to check plug number to be used with my esteem.Its running so well & heat range is ok.
I think no need to check ignition system with slight reduction in spark plug gap.

Enjoy..........

Hi finetuning
please dont try to gap NGK iridium plugs. They are pre-gapped and you might snap the electrode..be careful

take care ......enjoy your drive !!
Anant
Old 28th February 2007, 18:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
Hi Prem,
Increasing ignition timing is simple work but must be done through mechanic......you need not do it yourself as they will check with ignition gun......you just need to mention how much you want.....Regarding plug gap there is no hard & fast rule....it must be lower then stock setting......in this case I tried many setting & found good reduced gap for my car........normally slight reduction from stock setting is essential......

One thing I can suggest is to add 0.8 ml 2T/ltr in petrol & drive car for a few km then switch to lpg.....now you will have some benefits running on lpg.....2T benefits are there even if we shift to lpg......smoothness & increase in pick up...also if you are regularly adding 2T then need to drive car at least for a km or half daily in the morning.......it worked well with me....

How is your car performing in petrol & FE in petrol?If there is some problem with tuning then get it checked.....

Enjoy....
Hi FT,

Thanks for your advice. I checked with a mechanic today and he says that the timing cannot be changed/advanced on my car (Santro ERLX) as the distributor is electronic or something like that. He says it is possible on the old santro which has an open type distributor or something to that order. He does not know of any other way to advance the timing. What do you think can be done? Advice welcome from all Bhpians.
The FE in petrol is also nothing great, the best i have got is 12km/lt on somewhat Highway conditions. I gave the car twice to the Hyndai dealer for bettering the FE and all they did was clean the spark plugs and reset the ECM. They say there is nothing else to be done regarding improving the FE.

Prem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks