Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Pete's 110 hp Punto

Even we all prefer the same but unfortunately its not available with our engines.Then go for a 75 hp with a remap. Still the turbo opens only at 1600. A 75 Hp with a remap gives you 95 HP which is a better for city driving.
90 HP is for the highway man. cruze above 90kmh and you will love it.
Im loving it
Old 17th May 2012, 13:33   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Nimish, congratulations for the additional 20 HP and all the fun it brings along with it! Enjoy your ride.

Please leave the smoking (other cars) for track-days and drive safe.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 14:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Nimish, Congratulations for owning the most powerful Punto on Team-BHP(not sure if there is any other tuned one around). Punto has such good chassis and well setup dynamics that it can easily take twice the power than the stock factory tune without any changes to suspension. And those rims look Awesome.

The sad part we all know is this car does not perform well upto its potential, the Euro Punto 90hp does 0-100 in 11.xx secs but the one sold here is good for nothing in comparison. I am not sure how your tuned car performs but i can guess mismatched gear ratios will be robbing it of performance it is capable of. I do not know what the Fiat india engineers wanted when they chose these ratios.

In stock form the 90hp does has good enough grunt in top end for maintaining good speeds on highway and still have some power in reserve. The sweetest zone in any turbo diesel is the midrange but thanks to the short fifth gear, we need to use the top end anything beyond 120kph.

It would be great to see Dyno and VBox figures of your car.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:32   #19
BHPian

thanks Anshuman, Well as informed mine was the first 90Hp that petes has done in India. There were tuning boxes available before but in the remap sector i would say its awesome.
As we all know Fiat cars had a bad reputation in the mileage sector. I feel they have detuned the engine rather for the mileage concious indian market. The internals used in the Euro 90 Hp are similar to the indian ones. The saddest part is the state of tune and gear box.
The stock 90 has enough grunt but it was strained at times when you really require a rush of power. The Petes remap alters the strained feeling and makes it relaxed to drive. It feels like the heavy fiat just shed some weight and was eager to do a quarter mile. The remap alters the state of tune to deliver all the perfomance to suffice the enthusiasts hunger for power.

The suspension is the biggest asset for this car and it is designed to handle more.
Vbox is a sophisticated equipment which i belive is extremely expensive for a tuner to own. Dyno will be done in due course
Old 17th May 2012, 17:10   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great report, thanks for sharing and congrats on your Punto 110. Any figures on the increase in torque? You should definitely run a dyno whenever you have a chance, and compare it with that of a stock Punto 90.

I wouldn't touch the suspension if I were you. The Punto's OEM suspension is just so sorted, why mess with a good thing?

Petes runs a tight ship. And since you are based in Cochin itself, support will never be a problem.

Drive safe.
Old 17th May 2012, 20:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
Dyno will be done in due course
Congrats Nimish!

I'm also waiting to do this upgrade sometime. But worried about the warranty. May end up purchasing RD dieseltronics till the time I can safely go in for a remap.

One doubt though - how did Pete's find out that the car is producing 110bhp?
Old 18th May 2012, 20:01   #22
BHPian

Thanks GTO for your comments. Well a dyno is in the anvil and since it not available in kerala I could not go for it.

I do agree that the punto has one of the best suspensions in the premium hatchback segments. I had a chance to experience Bilstien B6 on a Punto 90HP and i would say it has to be experienced. Corners seem to be so steady and there is absolutely no under or over steer and high speed dynamics have vastly improved. Since Petes is the official importer of Bilstien I thought I shall give it a try and moreover we get all the technical support for the same

You feel like Kimi Raikkonen on an Abarth S2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing and congrats on your Punto 110. Any figures on the increase in torque? You should definitely run a dyno whenever you have a chance, and compare it with that of a stock Punto 90.

I wouldn't touch the suspension if I were you. The Punto's OEM suspension is just so sorted, why mess with a good thing?

Petes runs a tight ship. And since you are based in Cochin itself, support will never be a problem.

Drive safe.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:51   #23
BHPian

A remap is always the better option for optimum performance cos you can control various parameters for specific rpm and not just the fuelling. This is the major advantage of a remap over a tuning box. The one advantage a tuning box has is that its plug and play.

Having said this i feel the 1.3l engine is already maxed out in my opinion and any significant gains over the stock might hamper reliability in the long run. The engine is the same as used in the Swift but with a VGT. Now when Pete's providing a remap at 32k which is a little high in my opinion can't they do the before and after dyno runs like Red rooster racing do when they do remaps? I seriously believe a customer should get a reliable assurance in the form of a before/after dyno run when he is paying over 32k.

P.S : I am in no way connected to Red Rooster Racing.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 21st May 2012 at 03:53.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:31   #24
BHPian

As far as the dyno run is concerned it stands in two stages. All those who did performance upgrades are satisfied with Petes. In case there is a need for suspicion then its advisable to go for a dyno. I do remember a friend of mine went to Red rooster for a dyno run and they had asked him "Is it to show your friends or is it for you".
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:43   #25
BHPian

I agree, what matters is one's own happiness but as far as i know tuners ought to offer before and offer dyno runs. At-least this is how things work in most parts of the world. In this very forum, people have claimed 500hp on a front wheel driven car and we know what happened to those claims. I am not trying to put a dampener on your enthusiasm rather that in the most politest way i would like to suggest dyno run is done for one's own assurance and not to show off. I am no way suggesting that your car is not pulling the claimed figures just that when you spend your dough you must expect assured returns.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 23rd May 2012 at 11:55.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Made for a nice read nimish. With Pete's locally stationed am sure you wouldn't have any issues with support in case you run into problems(touchwood).

Quote:
Normally you can drive it just like a stock punto. It’s when you need power just shift gears and your remap comes to play. That’s one thing that I really liked about the remap. The car is best felt at 70 kmph in 4th gear at 2500 RPM. Believe me it will transform your dreams to reality.
So at what rpm is the power band, leave the 4th gear but otherwise ? Darn this is where a dyno chart would have helped.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:47   #27
BHPian

The power band is from 2100-3500. The turbo kicks at that time and its easy to extract power from there on. Overtaking is at ease and car feels lighter. Dyno run will be done soon and the graph shall be posted. It would have been done but the sad part is that no dyno is available in Kerala.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your mod. The punto is a very capable car and I'm glad you are enjoying it. When you singled out the swift, I was thinking for a moment the Bilstein and the Tarox combo. If you had that in plan then the handling in the swift would have been better i guess. But 110 BHP is the icing !

Why dont you make a trip to Bangalore ? You can probably dyno it there ! Regarding the concern on exhaust mods, Petes has done couple of exhaust mods for the diesel swifts and so why dont you check on its reviews ?
Old 30th May 2012, 20:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:

The suspension is the biggest asset for this car and it is designed to handle more.
Vbox is a sophisticated equipment which i belive is extremely expensive for a tuner to own. Dyno will be done in due course
Nimish, Congrats on the remap. I know how you feel now since I have a remapped Getz crdi.
As you said the suspension is the biggest gift for your car unlike mine which is the biggest "liability". So better don't mess with it. Enjoy your ride and most important, RIDE SAFE.
Because it is now very difficult to keep a light foot.

Last edited by Vdrive : 30th May 2012 at 20:33.
Old 30th May 2012, 20:59   #30
BHPian

Well anand. The swift was ruled out because of the braking and build quality. Maruti has compromised on quality as it is a mass produced car which sells because it has the maruti badge and the Fiat engine. Fiat offers more value for money with a tank like build quality and hi speed dynamics takes it to a totally different league. Its not all about 0-100 but 100-0 also counts. Now i feel i get the best of both worlds.
Nimish anthony is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks