Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 20:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish

Yea, Vinyl films are way better than getting you car repainted! + They'll protect the original paint from minor scratches!

If you go this way, go for 3M Scotchprint matte films - 3M™ Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080-M12 Matte Black

+ You can use any UV resisting vinyl protectant to protect the films against UV degradation!

Last edited by sohail99 : 5th June 2012 at 20:09.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How much does Stream Graphics charge approx?

How durable are these vinyls in our condition of heat and traffic- does the heat cause premature peeling and how does it handle minor scratches that are inevitable in our driving conditions?
Sorry it's x-treme graphics, damn autocorrect did that. I think the vinyls are pretty durable and can even take a few scratches since some of them are reasonably thick. I think to wrap a full car it would be near the 40k mark max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerFool View Post
If that is the case you have no option but to toe the line with the dealership as they will surely void the warranty on the entire vehicle(all parts/engine etc). I get my work done at Four Seasons Automobiles and so far I have not had any issues with the warranties due to paint but I have NOT changed the colour. Cost wise it would be about 60% of the dealership quote.
So buddy you are saying if something goes wrong in the drivetrain or even the engine the dealer is going to blame the vinyl?
Old 10th June 2012, 02:35   #18
BHPian

Guys,

I spoke to my dealer. Though I did not yet ask him in explicit terms about what would happen if I get a vinyl wrap done with respect to warranty or any other issues. (the dude I talked to, he talks a lot....talked so much....that in the end I forgot to ask him).

But he basically did say that Vinyls do have a tendancy to peel off quickly. Also, if, for e.g., you do the bonnet and if the centre of the bonnet gets a bubble, they often puncture it and then plaster it - that might make it look "not-so-good". I know that more than half his talks are for getting me out of the vinyl thing and getting me to paint it from him.

But I'd like to know how much of what he says is true. From what he's been saying doesn't look like there might be any issues....but I plan to call him on Monday and ask him nevertheless - what issues would audi have, if I got a vinyl done on the car - externally.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Guys,

I spoke to my dealer. Though I did not yet ask him in explicit terms about what would happen if I get a vinyl wrap done with respect to warranty or any other issues. (the dude I talked to, he talks a lot....talked so much....that in the end I forgot to ask him).

But he basically did say that Vinyls do have a tendancy to peel off quickly. Also, if, for e.g., you do the bonnet and if the centre of the bonnet gets a bubble, they often puncture it and then plaster it - that might make it look "not-so-good". I know that more than half his talks are for getting me out of the vinyl thing and getting me to paint it from him.

But I'd like to know how much of what he says is true. From what he's been saying doesn't look like there might be any issues....but I plan to call him on Monday and ask him nevertheless - what issues would audi have, if I got a vinyl done on the car - externally.

NannuBhai vinyl cannot replace paint, and paint (other than dealer) will void your warranty. Yes, he is right with what he has said about vinyl but he is only pointing out the extreme. You are in a Catch 22, all the best with whichever direction you take.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:11   #20
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Vinyl wrapping if done properly can look similar to a paint job.
Also, its a better option then going in for repaint, especially when you have an expensive car such as an Audi A4. Repainting it would also decrease the resale value.

If done properly a vinyl wrap can last for a long time, if done using the right tools and materials.

Though the problem would be sourcing the right kind of material. 3M & Oracal are the most preferred brands but difficult to source (might have to import).
There are cheaper and similar looking materials out there, though the look and feel will be same, the adhesives used would not be as good as the former ones.

3M has a removable adhesive, which can be removed even after having the film applied for a few years and they claim that no harm will be done to the paint. Cheaper materials may not have this benefit and might actually harm your paint. So you'll end up repainting your ride.

If you choose the option for vinyl wrap, spend a bit more and go in for a high quality material.

Last edited by SRK : 11th June 2012 at 23:12.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:39   #21
BHPian

I think getting a vinyl would be the best option as you can get back the original finish by just removing it. Found this vid on YouTube hope it helps.

Old 17th June 2012, 01:49   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Your car is just a year old. As suggested by everyone - the best option is to go the vinyl way. I had seen a matt black Audi A4 - not sure if it was paint or vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-audi1.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-audi2.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 17:06   #23
BHPian

Plasti-Dip is brilliant for this..
Comes in spray cans and very durable. Super easy to take off and super cheap too. Also whats sweet is that touch ups are very easy too.

Check it out on this Audi S4
Old 21st June 2012, 11:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Your car is just a year old. As suggested by everyone - the best option is to go the vinyl way. I had seen a matt black Audi A4 - not sure if it was paint or vinyl.
This car is painted, I know for sure as it visits the same workshop as my cars.
Old 30th March 2014, 17:40   #25
BHPian

So, finally, after 2 years, I took the time & took the plunge for a Matte Black finish.

Firstly, called up my Audi dealer and asked the workshop manager, if Audi would have any problems with putting in the vinyl. He said, the only problem would be the paint warrantly, which lasts for 3 years. I said, since my A4 is going to 3 years old this April, it shouldn't matter, which he agreed. Apart from that he was just asking me to careful of bird droppings and Tree Sap.

So, I then researched and found 3M guys were supposedly doing a good job. Called and found one workshop at Apte Road here in Pune. The guy said he'd do it in 2 days and would cost roughly between 40K - 45K. Took the plunge, gave the vehicle. 2 days & 42K Rupees later, here's the end result.

And I must say, it is rather very very fulfilling...the workmanship is excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_195355.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_200651.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_200713.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_200800.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_200817.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140327_201015.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113815.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113825.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113841.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113849.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113857.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113908.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113916.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113922.jpg  

Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish-img_20140328_113931.jpg  

NannuBhai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 17:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Nannubhai: I am curious to know how is this vinyl holding up after six months.
I can see from the pictures that it does pick up all kind of stains (oils/ finger prints etc.) which seems to be a problem in general with matte finish in general.
Old 29th October 2014, 17:50   #27
BHPian

So far, it's doing pretty good. Yes. It does have a tendency to pick up stains & oily hands & stuff. But I suppose that's a given. It's something you get along with the matte black. For my part, I have a cleaner who cleans my car everyday. So not really an issue for me. But during the days when he's not there (like right now for diwali), it doesn't get overly dirty. There are some dust that is seen on it for sure. But I got myself one of those dusters with soft anti-static fabric. With just one swipe, the area is free of dirt. So the entire car is clean in under 5 minutes. Of course, bird droppings will be a problem but that problem exists even with non-vinyl & non-matte-black cars too. No different from them.

But the vinyl itself, along with the color is holding up pretty good. It still looks like new. Still loving it. I've now painted my mags also to charcoal grey. So the entire car looks wholesome ly good. Still fall in love with my car over & over again.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th October 2014 at 18:07. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
NannuBhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 22:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
So, finally, after 2 years, I took the time & took the plunge for a Matte Black finish.

Firstly, called up my Audi dealer and asked the workshop manager, if Audi would have any problems with putting in the vinyl. He said, the only problem would be the paint warrantly, which lasts for 3 years. I said, since my A4 is going to 3 years old this April, it shouldn't matter, which he agreed. Apart from that he was just asking me to careful of bird droppings and Tree Sap.

So, I then researched and found 3M guys were supposedly doing a good job. Called and found one workshop at Apte Road here in Pune. The guy said he'd do it in 2 days and would cost roughly between 40K - 45K. Took the plunge, gave the vehicle. 2 days & 42K Rupees later, here's the end result.

And I must say, it is rather very very fulfilling...the workmanship is excellent.

Fantastic. Looks hot in this matte black finish. I am also looking for this finish for my civic, but thinking of going for plastidip instead, though still evaluating wrapping vs plastidip.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Fantastic. Looks hot in this matte black finish. I am also looking for this finish for my civic, but thinking of going for plastidip instead, though still evaluating wrapping vs plastidip.
You would need a lot of plasti dip to do the entire car. The spray cans wont suffice so I would recommend you going in for the litre tins and get a good spray gun. The product is great, have been using it on the chrome bits in my car. Can be done all by yourself too. There are limitations on colours available. If you are looking at Matt Black then no problems.
Old 4th November 2014, 05:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
You would need a lot of plasti dip to do the entire car. The spray cans wont suffice so I would recommend you going in for the litre tins and get a good spray gun. The product is great, have been using it on the chrome bits in my car. Can be done all by yourself too. There are limitations on colours available. If you are looking at Matt Black then no problems.

Yeah, it would indeed require a few gallons. Actually, there's a workshop near my place which is quoting me nearly 20k for plastidipping my whole car with 5 coats and a treatment layer which would smoothen the finish. That guy is giving me a year and a half of guarantee on it (colour is matte black) with free touchups whenever required. I haven't ever dealt with plastidip personally, so have no idea of the process or the price. Just seen a couple of videos on YouTube. Think that guy is offering a good deal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks