Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 10:09   #31
BHPian

Sorry for the amateurish question: but what exactly is a plastic dip?
Old 4th November 2014, 13:18   #32
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish

Hey Nannu,

Here is a thread dedicated to PlastiDip :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-coating.html
Old 5th November 2014, 00:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi A4 - Need a Matte Black finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Yeah, it would indeed require a few gallons. Actually, there's a workshop near my place which is quoting me nearly 20k for plastidipping my whole car with 5 coats and a treatment layer which would smoothen the finish. That guy is giving me a year and a half of guarantee on it (colour is matte black) with free touchups whenever required. I haven't ever dealt with plastidip personally, so have no idea of the process or the price. Just seen a couple of videos on YouTube. Think that guy is offering a good deal?
Please do check what make of plasti dip he is using. As far as I know and from my experience Performix make the best ones. Most of the 'dipping' videos on youtube use this product. Do check out www.dipyourcar.com. They have plenty variety for various textures and shades but sadly dont deliver to India.

I picked up 5 cans of matt black and glossifier from M/s Cosmotech (can find them on google) in Mumbai. They do deal with the Performix brand. I did speak to him about Gallon cans and he was happy enough to supply. Mr. Gandhi does even courier the product to you directly once you have made the payment in advance. He is really prompt as well. Maybe once you confirm with the workshop next to your place you could request him to use the Performix brand of Plasti Dip. He does however only stock Matt black, Red and Silver and will get the exotic shades only if ordered in sizeable quantities.

As for the quality of the product. It is extremely durable but isnt so much to annoying people who like to start picking at it. I did a bit of dipping on my car and the results were great but after a few nosy people poking at it, it has started to peel. The protective coat your mechanic was telling you about was probably the Dip Coat spray which does give the plasti dip surface a sheen and protect it to an extent. I plan to re-do it over the weekend. It is applied in coats like paint and the more layers you do the better the result.

I cant really give you the comparison of dipping and wrapping as I have never wrapped my cars and dont have any idea on the durability of wrapping. Do keep us posted on how things go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks