Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 21:44   #1
BHPian

Remote Engine start system

I came across a mail about this product- 'Crimestopper RS4-G3 Remote Start System with Keyless Entry and Trunk Pop.'
Apparently, it seems interesting and so I think, it certainly needs some discussion over here. It is available on Amazon.com for $49.95.

Product Features (As mentioned with the advt. on Amazon.)
1. Keyless entry and trunk pop are included with this system as well as auto locking with ignition
2. Gas or diesel engine operation
3. OEM alarm arm and disarm outputs; all keyless entry functions will operate from the factory key fob
4. Turbo timer mode with hand brake activation
5. Programmable engine sensing modes: tachometer sense (rpm), tachless (voltage) or hybrid mode
6. 2-Vehicle Operation
7. On-Board Relays For Remote Start and Parking Light Flash

So friends, do share your valuable inputs on this product.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 22:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Remote Start System with Keyless Entry and Trunk Pop

I do not know if remote start system is a useful feature in a hot country like India.

However, turbo timer function might be useful... but parking with gear engaged goes for a toss!

Dr Vikas, what is the landing cost in India?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 23:00   #3
BHPian

In fact, I came to know about this product only through a mail & from the website of Amazon only and so, I am also 'new' to all this as like you. All the pics & info shared, is just 'copy- pasted' by me.
Let's wait for somebody with some first-hand review/ feedback.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:27   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I do not know if remote start system is a useful feature in a hot country like India.
True. It's most useful in colder countries where you can heat up the car / interiors before you get to it. In Boston winters, I couldn't touch the steering wheel for the first 5 - 10 minutes.

That said, you could probably use it in India to "cool" the car up in the hot summers
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Re: Remote Engine start system

The same would be useful but you would have to be extra careful not to start the car with the gear on. My friend did the same with his Toyota Sera and the car went for a toss.
Nimish anthony is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 16:13   #6
BHPian

This is what I was waiting for so long. It seems to be an easy install. I can very well use this to cool up my car 5 minutes before i enter the car. Also can be used to get out of the car and switch if off after few minutes.
In chennai Summers, when my car is parked in the sun, 5 min before leaving to office, I remove the Autocop remote from the key, keeo the key inside the car and start the car switching on the A/C. I lock the car using the Autocop remote from outside, wear my shoes and socks ( in my house ), take my bag, Open the car using the Autocop remote and drive away.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:41   #7
BHPian

Rajanprash, I think, you badly need 1 such product in your car. I also have once experienced the Chennai hotness, but from your story, I just remembered Mr.Bean, who always try to find out simple solutions & eventually make the things more 'complicated'.
Joke apart, GTO has rightly mentioned & also underlined the use of 'Remote Engine start system' at least in the 'extreme hot' conditions.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:59   #8
BHPian

If one assumes that it would work as stated, then how would it help in India. It would turn on the engine but not the A.C., right?
Old 18th June 2012, 21:01   #9
BHPian

Would this system be even capable of switching on the air con?

I mean the knobs are either rotary or sliders and then there is the A/C button, so how? Unless one switches off their car with the blower and A/C on and that's how they start again. It can have serious issues with the engine and battery then.
Old 18th June 2012, 21:31   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Should work for cars with Auto Climate control AC (ACC) where the AC is left on. For manual AC cars the AC would need to be started seperately so that would not help in anyway.

One would have to be care full to see that the car is never parked in gear.

The kit misses an engine start stop button which would have made this even better to have.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:05   #11
BHPian

My uncle made a delay circuit long back in our indigo. It was based on a 555 timer IC. Once you manually switch on the ac, the ac would start after 30sec-1min based on the tuning of the circuit.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:30   #12
BHPian

One more aspect, with such type of remote Start and Stop system, caring the Turbo-charged vehicle would be easier, I guess.
Old 20th June 2012, 23:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't recommend this for a few reasons.

- Bad/shoddy wiring may turn out to be catastrophic. Unless it's done by reputed mechanics who know the car inside out. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

- I see no real gain in adding this feature, unless it's a fad that you would like to enjoy. It's just money down the drain. But then again, what may seem to be a waste for me, might just be worth every cent for you.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 23:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

What if you remotely started the vehicle and then forgot about it? Does it automatically shut off the engine and lock the car after x seconds/minutes? Case in point being just as you reach your car, you meet someone or remember an errand and run off to the neighbouring grocer. What happens to the engine?
Old 20th June 2012, 23:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
- I see no real gain in adding this feature, unless it's a fad that you would like to enjoy. It's just money down the drain. But then again, what may seem to be a waste for me, might just be worth every cent for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What if you remotely started the vehicle and then forgot about it? Does it automatically shut off the engine and lock the car after x seconds/minutes?
Guys, Remote start means.. you have to lock your car in Nuetral. ~80% of Indian saftey and terrain, this is out of the question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks