Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2006, 11:22   #16
BHPian

LPG is recommended for Private vehicles and CNG for public transport since it gives a better FE but it substantially reduces the engine life..CNG being a warm gas harms the engine and with an AC on..u'll feel the difference..Taxi drivers in Mumbai say that their taxis cannot even climb the normal roads if the taxis are full to their capacity..The taxis come down the slope in reverse..

LPG on the other hand is a cold gas and it is as good as petrol when combustion takes place since petrol also vapourises and mixes with air to make a combustible fuel..Only thing is a small drp in FE which is pretty considerable considering the fuels costs..currently LPG is somewhere around 23 Rs/lt as compared to 54 Rs/lt for petrol (normal petrol, Speed and Power cost more)..SO this drop in FE is almost nothing...

I have a 99 carb Esteem VX fitted with an LPG kit from SKN (a purely indian company manufacturing gas equipments in India from the past 40 yrs.) and have really not driven the car on petrol since then..only times when gas tasnk was empty and I had to reach the filling station..

My car gives me a combined FE of around 11KM/lt and I run almost 500+ kms in a mere 1100-1200 bucks..The car is about to be serviced but it still runs at 100KMPH with AC on on LPG..

When the vapouriser is heated, my car almost starts at half the self..with accelerating..

Go for LPG without any more thots for private cars...

Rahul K
Old 18th July 2006, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
I had a narrow escape around 3 yrs back....I was driving towards Sarai Kale Khan and found that a FIAT padmini that was around 2 cars front of me, nearly exploded and was high on flames. The reason citied was it was fitted with LPG and the guy was smoking, at the same time, there was a leak from the cylinder that caused all this. The guy was lucky and survived as there was only very few LPG left. Owing to this, I made my above statement.
Guess, thats how rumours spread. THe fact is as below:-
LPG kits come with an automatic cut-off, which will stop the flow as soon as there is a flow... and thats even before you can smell the gas which by its pungent nature is very difficult to miss.
I have been using LPG kits for over 3 years now, from a time when people used to think i am carrying my kitchen in my car, but I never ever had any problem with leaks, stalling, misfire, etc. My mechanic who fits both LPG as well as CNG (for taxis) also advices LPG for private vehicles and the reasons are:-
1) No power drop with LPG as with CNG- i vouch for that
2) Easier Refuelling- vouch for that too
3) Longer distance between re-fuelling- (LPG- 480km... CNG- 120/140km)- and trust me it makes a difference
4) Lesser problems of car stalling- cant comment, though have seen CNG taxis having a tougher time going up a flyover vis-a-vis LPG taxis when on one
5) LPG does not harm the engine, whereas CNG does:- can vouch for the first one, no idea about the second

However there would be takers for CNG as there would be for LPG and its a personal choice between saving and pickup/ driving pleasure. Suggest you drive each for yourself before coming to a decision.
Cheers.
Old 18th July 2006, 11:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
someone answer the guy plz....i wanna know too
Santo/ frankmehta,
in case you want more dope on LPG or want to drive a LPG car, just pm me. I work in town, would be glad to help.
Cheers.
Old 18th July 2006, 22:41   #19
BHPian

Sorry Sir, Taxi's are no bench mark for CNG or LPG war...! The best part about CNG is that it gives higher mileage/lower maintaince/low cost...And if you choose a good High end kit you don't get the performance issues...! CNG is much much safer due to its higher Ignition point, The gas being lighter than LPG dissipates in Air quicker comparitively, In delhi almost every alternate fuel car runs on CNG - LPG cars are their but quite less...and same goes for Pumps dispensing LPG...!
Old 19th July 2006, 11:59   #20
BANNED

[quote=Samrat Banerjee]
3) Longer distance between re-fuelling- (LPG- 480km... CNG- 120/140km)- and trust me it makes a difference
[quote]

Hi, could you elaborate on this please Samrat? Seems like quite a massive difference.
Old 19th July 2006, 12:44   #21
BHPian

[quote=Boom Shiva][quote=Samrat Banerjee]
Quote:

Hi, could you elaborate on this please Samrat? Seems like quite a massive difference.
Hi Boom Shiva,
Here it goes: suppose your car gives a mileage of 10kmpl in petrol:-
For a tankful of LPG ie. 48 L it would run 48L X10(mileage)= 480 km (approx)
For a tankful of CNG ie. 12kg it would run 12 X 12(mileage)= 144 km (approx) give or take a few kms.

Hence while it makes sense for Taxis to have a quick refill, for people like you or me, it would be a bother to run to the fuelling pump every 120/140 kms, specially taking into account the fact that theres always a line of taxis.
Cheers.
Old 19th July 2006, 13:42   #22
BANNED

Oh, you can only fill 12 kg of CNG? That's pretty bad. I thought they had 35 litre tanks etc...
Old 19th July 2006, 15:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Oh, you can only fill 12 kg of CNG? That's pretty bad. I thought they had 35 litre tanks etc...
CNG requires higher pressure, so while the tank is stronger read (bigger & heavier) as compared to LPG tanks... and it takes 12 kg of gas... they do not sell by litre. You might be getting confused with LPG tanks with comes in all shapes (spare tyre/ normal tank) and sizes-- 60L downwards. just FYI, the 60L LPG tank has a 48L capacity.
Hope this helps.
Samrat
Old 20th July 2006, 08:39   #24

get a life....i've been running my esteem on cng for sometime...i have a 12 kg cylinder and its filled up around 9 kgs on a gud day. as for the avg...friends on teambhp hav major misconceptions...esteem gives an avg of 20 - 22 wid a/c on cng in city(delhi). i live in gurgaon but i hav a godown in jahangirpuri(40 km) and my factory on jaipur highway(85 km). so on any day my car runs atleast 100 kms. i got the car in dec. last year and it has already done over 45000 k's. often my brother takes the car to factory and he easily makes a trip with some still left.....

the question is not wich fuel is better but wich is more practical..ie. if you have cng stations in vicinity and on your everyday run to workplace..
Old 20th July 2006, 09:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven a cng car but we used to have a 96 esteem to which we got an authorised lpg gas tank in 2004. Performance wise there was change. On lpg (without ac) the car would run with the same performance of the car with ac on petrol . There was a slight difference in pick up after switching on ac with lpg ....
I dint even consider cng because there was no cng station in hyderabad then and if I am not mistaken there are none now too !!
Old 20th July 2006, 10:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
I have not driven a cng car but we used to have a 96 esteem to which we got an authorised lpg gas tank in 2004. Performance wise there was change. On lpg (without ac) the car would run with the same performance of the car with ac on petrol . There was a slight difference in pick up after switching on ac with lpg ....
I dint even consider cng because there was no cng station in hyderabad then and if I am not mistaken there are none now too !!
cooldude,
The lag in pickup with LPG is usually seen in carburetor engines, not in MPFi. I had the same issue, though not much in my last car, but with my OHC and Baleno theres no lag at all.
Cheers.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:39   #27
BHPian

this might help:- source: http://cng-lpg-conversion.com/Why-CNG-LPG.asp
Mumbai---------Petrol ---------CNG. -----------------L.P.G Cost: ----------53.50 ---------21.5-------------------23.77
Cost of Kit--------------- Rs 37,000/- ---------Rs 22,000/
Fuel Average-- 10-------------13-----------------------8
Cost per Km -5.35-----------1.65------------------2.97
Saving --------------------- 69.09 %--------------44.46 %
Monthly Savings --------------4,435.38 ------ -----2,854.50(@ 40 Km per day) ---------------------------------------
Recover Kit Cost in: --------10,010 Km-------------9,249 Km
----------------------------8 Months --------------8 Months
Capacity - ----------------9 Kg ------------------48 lts
Empty Tank Weight - ------68 Kg ------------------22.5 Kg

Last edited by Samrat Banerjee : 20th July 2006 at 10:58.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj.hoodster
get a life....i've been running my esteem on cng for sometime...i have a 12 kg cylinder and its filled up around 9 kgs on a gud day. as for the avg...friends on teambhp hav major misconceptions...esteem gives an avg of 20 - 22 wid a/c on cng in city(delhi). i live in gurgaon but i hav a godown in jahangirpuri(40 km) and my factory on jaipur highway(85 km). so on any day my car runs atleast 100 kms. i got the car in dec. last year and it has already done over 45000 k's. often my brother takes the car to factory and he easily makes a trip with some still left.....

the question is not wich fuel is better but wich is more practical..ie. if you have cng stations in vicinity and on your everyday run to workplace..
mj.hoodster,

My calculations are based on a third party source:
http://cng-lpg-conversion.com/Why-CNG-LPG.asp

In case you get a better mileage- Its good for you!!!
Old 20th July 2006, 20:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrat Banerjee
mj.hoodster,

My calculations are based on a third party source:
http://cng-lpg-conversion.com/Why-CNG-LPG.asp

In case you get a better mileage- Its good for you!!!
i don know wich car they used bro...but this is wat my mechanic says bout car.

esteem has an aluminium engine, it is much lighter and cools down pretty quickly. as its a 1.3 ltr engine it gives out plenty power but you just need to shift a gear down to get that punch.

i've always kept that in mind and a balanced cng car is lotsa fun to drive and any delhite woulda atleast heard of the traffic in jahangirpuri and karol bagh. my car moves in that place quite a lot.

not that im promoting cng but just telling you every engine responds differently to cng and lpg. so try to find someone who's already using cng in a 1.3-1.5 ltr engine in ur neighbourhood and get a clear picture

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks