Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 15:00   #1
BHPian

M800 Air-Conditioning improvement?

I have a carb M800, year 1995. It has stock air-conditioning. Is there anyway to have better air-conditioning in this car?
In summers it has no cooling effect at all. A local garage had suggested changing the compressor to some model 507, Super King Blower, better condersor coil and better gas. Are these suggestions right? He quoted 15K for the cost of upgrade.
Need your advise, experts!
Old 27th April 2006, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the car would be able to take the load of a bigger compressor.... the A/C even on the new M800 is just about adequate and that too for front passengers.... the back one's still slug it out in the heat. There is nothing much you can do really.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
I have a carb M800, year 1995. It has stock air-conditioning. Is there anyway to have better air-conditioning in this car?
In summers it has no cooling effect at all. A local garage had suggested changing the compressor to some model 507, Super King Blower, better condersor coil and better gas. Are these suggestions right? He quoted 15K for the cost of upgrade.
Sanden 507 is a famous AC compressor which a lot of people use in their Marutis (and even other cars) because of its cooling effectiveness. No doubt, it increases the load on the engine but at least it cools. One advice which is generally given is to change the radiator of the car if the car is quite old (like in your case). You should also replace the standard radiator fan with a higher power one. Both these things will prevent engine overheating that might result from bigger AC. Some people go even further and remove the thermostat from the radiator fan (so it runs all the time) and also run the car purely on coolent (without mixing any water). These steps are supposed to prevent engine overheating.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:19   #4
BANNED

You can make a huge improvement in the cooling in your car by fitting good VKool or Llumar clear sunfilm on the front windscreen, and good tints on your windows.

It costs a bit (approx 4.5-5.5 thousand for just the front windshield), but it is 100% worth it. I've done it on my car and it's a blessing.

One other good side effect of adding this sunfilm is that the car cools faster, therefore there is less load on the compressor, which in turn gives you better mileage.

Hope this helps you...
Old 27th April 2006, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
see, the compressor supplied with the 800 is fine.....its the blower that underperforms making the cooling process a little longer and more painful.....i had a 10 year old maruti 800 and the EASIEST and EXTREMELY efficient solution to this was the fitment of a new condensor coil and a blower from an ESTEEM(yeah you read it right).....even if it cools adequately in a relatively bigger car as an esteem it used to cool the smaller area of the 800 so well that it would make me switch off the compressor every 5 minutes.......and it wasnt at all a load on my 10 year old car.....in fact the day i sold my 800 and sat in my new zen it seemed as though the new car had something wrong with the ac.....so used to was i to the wonderful cooling in the 800.....btw i had a sanden 507 already fitted(got the ac fitted aftermarket)
plz pm me if you wanna know where to get the job done cheapest and best, observer
Old 27th April 2006, 18:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
see, the compressor supplied with the 800 is fine.....its the blower that underperforms making the cooling process a little longer and more painful

.....btw i had a sanden 507 already fitted(got the ac fitted aftermarket)
Frank I am a bit confused, please clarify.
Are you saying, you had sanden 507 in your m800 and you upgraded to the esteem blower later on? And you did not experience load on your card with sanden 507?
Old 27th April 2006, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
see, the compressor supplied with the 800 is fine.....its the blower that underperforms making the cooling process a little longer and more painful.....i had a 10 year old maruti 800 and the EASIEST and EXTREMELY efficient solution to this was the fitment of a new condensor coil and a blower from an ESTEEM(yeah you read it right).....even if it cools adequately in a relatively bigger car as an esteem it used to cool the smaller area of the 800 so well that it would make me switch off the compressor every 5 minutes.......and it wasnt at all a load on my 10 year old car.....in fact the day i sold my 800 and sat in my new zen it seemed as though the new car had something wrong with the ac.....so used to was i to the wonderful cooling in the 800.....btw i had a sanden 507 already fitted(got the ac fitted aftermarket)
plz pm me if you wanna know where to get the job done cheapest and best, observer
dont know abt u but my friend 800's temperature gauge used to shoot up as soon as the AC was switched on and he had to switch the ac off every 5 mins to keep the car running! As the car here in question is a 1995 model, it would have done considerable kilometers, so the problem would be compounded. Another idea is to fix the A/C coil (or whatever its is said) at the back.... i have seen many 800 owners do that and as some above suggested something to keep the engine from overheating.
Old 27th April 2006, 20:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
dont know abt u but my friend 800's temperature gauge used to shoot up as soon as the AC was switched on and he had to switch the ac off every 5 mins to keep the car running! As the car here in question is a 1995 model, it would have done considerable kilometers, so the problem would be compounded. Another idea is to fix the A/C coil (or whatever its is said) at the back.... i have seen many 800 owners do that and as some above suggested something to keep the engine from overheating.
i had no such problems......well finally that depends on the condition of tune of the car engine......my car was doing just fine
Old 27th April 2006, 22:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
The car has not run much, around 65K Km. Has some problems with oil consumption, so would be going for an engine and clutch overhaul.
Old 28th April 2006, 01:31   #10
BHPian

i think you should go in for a sanden compressor thats what ive always done for the four m800s we've had in our family!! as the orginal ac sucks!! sanden works just fine!! and you'll be more than happy with the cooling!!
v-kool is also a good idea ive heard it helps considerably!!
but sanden is the sole solution as far as i know!!
Old 28th April 2006, 01:40   #11
BHPian

I had a 1999 M800 DX.. it came with the factory fitted AC, although I never faced any issues of the car overheating I would like to add in that, you could take the car to the mech and ask him to chk the sealing of the pipe that comes out of the compressor, It by default has leaks... My car had it when i took it out of the showroom.. similar was the case with my friends M800 5 speed. That place needs to be sealed. Secondly when u take ur car out just before that please run the engine till it reaches the optimum temp without switching on ur AC, once u engage the car in gear and start rolling switch on the AC and set the blower to the max. After sometime even though if u feel a bit hot lower it down to the second slot (m800 has 3 speeds i beleive) and it sure will start cooling in sometime. The fresh air intake should be turned off and after sometime again lower it to the lowest fan speed.
I used my 800 for quite a long time and never had to run it on the max blower speed.The cooling was pretty effective.. atleast for the front 2 seats .
In case ur wondering where did I live.. I was in calcutta where in summers it does goto 45+degrees...
Cheers
Old 28th April 2006, 09:25   #12
BANNED

Hi,

Fit a Superking blower to start with and seal your fresh air outlet. Fit a good brand of sunfilm not Garware you should see a 25-30 improvement. If still not satisfied fit a Sanden 505 compressor it is smaller than the 507 and does not put that much of a load on the engine. I had made the above changes in my 1995 esteem after I found the cooling to be inadequate.

But I think before doing the above get your engine checked out as it is in anyways not in proper shape and putting a new compressor may result in overheating.

Viper
Old 28th April 2006, 16:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

i have a idea get a compresor from contessa ,it will chill you up but i am not sure whether the 800 will move or not,hehe just joking
Old 28th April 2006, 18:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
i have a idea get a compresor from contessa ,it will chill you up but i am not sure whether the 800 will move or not,hehe just joking
Anshuman, do u also have any idea about cheap towing service? LOL
Old 28th September 2006, 14:28   #15
BHPian

How do I verify that the aircon gas in M800 has been topped up fully ?
2. what are the charges if I get this done outside. maruti service quoted me 1000/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks