Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 00:17   #1

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!

Enough has been said about how Figo's headlight throw or rather the reflector desgin is simply pathetic. I have faced quite a few scary situations where i had almost no visibility during highway rides in the night.
And now that i have completed two years with my Figo, i had finally given up on thinking about warranty (Still one more year to go) than my own safety.
I was looking for options over at Team-BHP for quite a long time.
  • I had considered increasing the power of the lights, but then given that reflector design itself is an issue that would have proved counter-productive.
  • Then read about HID lights, but again, plonking them straight into my stock reflectors would surely have meant blinding every on-comer.
  • The best option that i finally came to was HID lamps along with projectors to focus the light.

Thus began my hunt for finding a professional to do the projector setup for me. After contacting quite a few people, i finalized on Mr. Vinit Mirpuri [Contact Number: 9820306441, Email: vinit.mirpuri@gmail.com]. Found his contact in a post by fellow Bhpian Naveen Raju. Would surely recommend him if you are looking for getting projector setup done in your car.

Vinit was quite helpful with all my initial queries and concerns and knows his stuff well. He operates out of Khar in Mumbai. So fixed up an appointment for one fine saturday and took the plunge.

The projectors come from his friend Rishi (Owner of Sainath Auto Ultimate, Khar, you would have a good time chatting to him for sure.), while Vinit takes care of fitting them. Rishi sources the projectors from China under his own brand name, RSR Autovison (which are actually AES projectors). He has lots of options to choose from, with many different color combinations for the angel eyes. I had initially selected a dual angel eye projector which we later realized was too big to fit into Figo's reflector. So finalized reluctantly on Mini Cooper style projector along with 4300K HID lights, which now i absolutely love!!! :P

The process was quite simple.
  1. Headlight assembly was removed entirely.
  2. Headlight housing was opened by using a heat-gun. (the toughest part)
  3. The reflector was painted black (4 coats). This was upon my request and is optional.
  4. The projectors are fitted into the stock assembly.
  5. Headlight housing re-sealed using silica-gel.
  6. Wiring and ballasts for the HIDs. Stock wiring was not cut. Additional wiring was done and directly connected to battery for power wherever required. This would not affect warranty, but then that would finally depend on the Ford A.S.S.
  7. Re-fit the headlights and adjust the aim of the projectors.

Vinit does not have his own workshop yet, and the first and the last step was done on the roadside itself (right outside Sainath Auto), but that was not much of an issue. Overall the job was done very nicely and i am quite happy with the final outcome. No fogging in the headlamps has been noticed yet by me. So that's another plus.
Thanks to them i found out that due to an accident i had gotten into around a year back, the motor inside the right headlight was broken and leveling would not work for the right side. There was no visible damage to the headlight, just a clip was broken which was fixed by some jugaad. Ford A.S.S. had informed me back then that there was no other damage to the headlight because of which i did not go in for replacement. *sigh*

Opening of the headlights, fitting of projectors and resealing was done at another location so i have no pics to show for that.

I had taken my car there around 11 in the morning. Everything was finished off by 5 in the evening. The final cost for the projector setup was 12300/- for me. Cost will differ from car to car and the type of projector you choose.

The light output now is really awesome. Lights up the street nicely and even on low-beam the throw is quite far. I do not have to use my fog lamps or the high beam in regular city driving at all. Now i enjoy driving behind other Figo's just to show off my headlights to them

Sainath Auto Ultimate
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0473.jpg

Headlamps opened up. Just the reflector was painted black.
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0480.jpg

Demo of how the projector would look... oooh Yeah!!!
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0482.jpg

Wiring for HID lamps. Everything just has to be plugged in. No cutting of stock wires, no loss of warranty.
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0459-2.jpg

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0487.jpg

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0492.jpg

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0498.jpg

Looks wicked in the night!!!
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0502.jpg

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0503.jpg

Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0499.jpg

Low Beam
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0504.jpg

High Beam
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0505.jpg

Cut off is quite nice. Ends right below the windshield for the on-coming cars. So does not trouble them at all. This is one was shot when i was waiting for the traffic to move. Looks low because i was quite close to the swift.
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0515.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!-imag0514.jpg  

nayaknav is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 08:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Figo - Projector Headlights, Light up the way!

Looks super cool. Glad you liked his work and the outcome of the installation. Heard from him that mini cooper style projectors are on a demand now.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 08:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. What was the cost including installation and was any warranty offered ?
Just when I thought I have overcome the urge to install projectors on my swift, all these posts come up.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:27   #4
BHPian

Looks fantastic. Really nice to see that the light doesn't fall on the IRVM of the car in front (photograph with light falling on swift ),
Have you had the chance to use them on a rainy night?
Really intrigued to see how the lights function on a rainy night. Please upload pics of that if/when you have them.
Old 16th December 2012, 18:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great setup for 12300 bucks. The figo looks mean in this new avatar.
The only thing which is keeping me away from such a projector setup is its durability and life. Moreover, there are so many options in different price brackets which confuse me even further.

Anyways congratulations on the new setup. I am quite impressed by the illumination on high beam.
Old 16th December 2012, 18:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Looks super cool. Glad you liked his work and the outcome of the installation. Heard from him that mini cooper style projectors are on a demand now.
I was actually quite skeptical about how mini cooper style projectors would look. Initially even questioned Rishi whether those projectors have any demand. Once i saw the demo i was in love and yes, he did say that these projectors are quite on demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Looks good. What was the cost including installation and was any warranty offered ?
Just when I thought I have overcome the urge to install projectors on my swift, all these posts come up.
Cost was Rs 12300/- all inclusive ( this is with a bit of discount thrown in on the painting of reflectors).
These are china products (AES brand), so did not even bother asking about the warranty quite frankly. But Vinit and Rishi both assured me there have been no problems reported with these projectors. Even met one of their customer who had done dual projector setup around 2 years back. He had an issue of one of the HIDs not lighting up. Just the wiring was replaced and all was fine. Plus if i have any issues, i am sure Vinit would be more than ready to help out and solve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
Looks fantastic. Really nice to see that the light doesn't fall on the IRVM of the car in front (photograph with light falling on swift ),
Really intrigued to see how the lights function on a rainy night. Please upload pics of that if/when you have them.
Yes, the cut off is perfect. The height adjustment done was all thanks to Vinit. Cuts off perfectly below the windshield and the windows even for cars that are far away.
I have got these done just two weeks back, so no rainy nights yet! But i got 4300K HIDs just because i wanted good visibility in rain. 4300K is more of yellow light and will be best for rainy season. 6000K is white light and with this you would have trouble in rainy nights. I guess Naveen Raju would be able to help here. He has been using projectors with 4300K AFAIK (Yes Naveen, have been following your posts during all my research)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thats a great setup for 12300 bucks. The figo looks mean in this new avatar.
The only thing which is keeping me away from such a projector setup is its durability and life. Moreover, there are so many options in different price brackets which confuse me even further.

Anyways congratulations on the new setup. I am quite impressed by the illumination on high beam.
Regarding durability and life, i don't think there is much of an issue. Many bhpians have projector setup done and have not read about any of them complaining.
Frankly, once you get this done, you would rarely require the high beam, unless of course you are driving on a pitch black road.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th December 2012 at 22:24. Reason: Posts merged.
nayaknav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaknav View Post
Cost was Rs 12300/- all inclusive ( this is with a bit of discount thrown in on the painting of reflectors).
These are china products (AES brand), so did not even bother asking about the warranty quite frankly. BI guess Naveen Raju would be able to help here. He has been using projectors with 4300K AFAIK (Yes Naveen, have been following your posts during all my research)
Congrats Nayaknav

The AES brand is really a good quality projectors, Happy night driving

Myself and S_U_N have the AES brand HID Projectors too
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 20:23   #8
MYB
BHPian

That ride wears an angry look now - a really mean one. Congrats! And drive safe.

But have a couple of questions.
1. I know you have got the silica gel sealing done - how effective is it? Did you get a pressure wash done post installation? If yes, did that lead to any seepage into the headlights?
2. Have you gone a long drive post installation? I mean to say around a 100 kms at the least. Did you face any issues of the horn going weak or the projector not in full strength with the stock battery?
Old 16th December 2012, 21:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
Low beam isnt all that great during rain. But compared to the stock headlight of the swift, I find this setup to be awesome. I use 4300k which provides the best visibility range. I dont have the video on a rainy night, but here's one that I took sometime back. The cutoff level is perfect IMO.

naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 21:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Awesome effects. looks and feels good. As I understand, they run cooler and there is no need to change the lens, right? Just remove the stock holders put these in and plug and play all the way. Correct?
Old 16th December 2012, 21:18   #11
BHPian

Killer setup there man. Your figo looks mean and with those smoked headlamps droolmaal.

Any way of getting these stuff in Bangalore?
Old 16th December 2012, 23:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
That ride wears an angry look now - a really mean one. Congrats! And drive safe.

But have a couple of questions.
1. I know you have got the silica gel sealing done - how effective is it? Did you get a pressure wash done post installation? If yes, did that lead to any seepage into the headlights?
2. Have you gone a long drive post installation? I mean to say around a 100 kms at the least. Did you face any issues of the horn going weak or the projector not in full strength with the stock battery?
1. Did not do any pressure wash yet. Will check whenever i do get it done. As of now i have not noticed any fogging inside the headlamps.

2. No long runs yet. Though for my office rides of around 20KM one way i have not noticed any deterioration of battery power. Will keep a look out for it. But i fail to see how exactly the HIDs would drain the battery during a long run? Can you elaborate? I am yet to hear of battery drain issues due to HIDs. For bikes i have heard of some instances, but not for cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Awesome effects. looks and feels good. As I understand, they run cooler and there is no need to change the lens, right? Just remove the stock holders put these in and plug and play all the way. Correct?
The HIDs are 35W whereas the stock halogens were 55W, so i am assuming will run cooler. From what i know, remove the stock holders, fit in the projectors, plug the sockets once everything is done, then adjusting the aim of your projector beam as required. The toughest part of all this is opening of headlights and then properly resealing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Killer setup there man. Your figo looks mean and with those smoked headlamps droolmaal.

Any way of getting these stuff in Bangalore?
Thanks dude
As for Bangalore, i am not quite sure. But Rishi (contact number: 9820122334) has many distributors setup in different cities. Maybe he would be able to help you locate one. Once you get your hands on these projectors all you would have to do is find someone in Bangalore to do the fitting.
Vinit may also be able to offer a deal for you, if you know few other people in Bangalore who want to get this job done. He would then send his fitters to bangalore without any extra charge for you. But this is provided you have atleast 4 cars or so. Confirm with Vinit for this.
Also you can just search for other posts on projectors in Tbhp. I am pretty sure you would be able to locate contacts of professionals for this job in Bangalore.
nayaknav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 08:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

@nayaknav,

Thats an awesome setup, the projectors looks super fantastic on the Figo. The cost also seems within the budget. The throw seems too bright, should it bother the oncoming traffic?

BTW where is the Sainath Auto Ulitmate located? Is it in Thane?
Old 17th December 2012, 09:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaknav View Post

Thanks dude
As for Bangalore, i am not quite sure. But Rishi (contact number: 9820122334) has many distributors setup in different cities. Maybe he would be able to help you locate one. Once you get your hands on these projectors all you would have to do is find someone in Bangalore to do the fitting.
Vinit may also be able to offer a deal for you, if you know few other people in Bangalore who want to get this job done. He would then send his fitters to bangalore without any extra charge for you. But this is provided you have atleast 4 cars or so. Confirm with Vinit for this.
Also you can just search for other posts on projectors in Tbhp. I am pretty sure you would be able to locate contacts of professionals for this job in Bangalore.
Finding someone in Bangalore to do it at this price point seems difficult. And Ive been waiting to get these done on my car too as I finished 2 years. A few days back I posted the same queries on the figo thread.

The problem with fitters here is they cut the OEM wires even for DRL lamps, instead of making separate connection to the battery. And their price is quite high. Ive a friend of mine ready to do it on his polo. But Ill have to search for others for Vinit to come to BLR.

I liked your setup as there is no tampering. Ill wait and watch a few more days for you to keep reviewing the lamps, then decide finally.

One noob query. Can we fit normal Halogen bulbs onto projectors?
Old 17th December 2012, 10:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
One noob query. Can we fit normal Halogen bulbs onto projectors?
Yes, you can but terrible visibility. When I bought the projectors, it had Philips halogen bulbs on them. After just few days of use, moved to HIDs.

As for the fitment, if you can send the headlights to Mumbai, he can fit the projectors else you will have to pay for the new headlights and he will send it across. Not sure whether this option is still available since this was what Vinit had mentioned few months back. Kindly check with him.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks