Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 12:34   #1
BHPian

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster

I had posted a thread about installation of FOG LAMPS on a Duster (Thread Link) and what I though the wise way of getting it done. I had mentioned that a NUDGE BAR was needed to protect these lamps and that a customised one was being made for the purpose of protecting the lamps and vehicle front end in minor accidents.

To NUDGE means to 'push' and in India we normally refer to these as "CRASH" bars which is not right. I dont think its right to install the heavy metal bars being sold around our country on a Duster as these add 25kgs to the front end of the car which could affect dynamics. Also the fitment of these bars are complicated as the front-end (bumper, lights etc) needs to be removed and a heavy 6-8mm guage plate is bolted to the cross member which is only 2mm thick. What sense does it make!!

I have attached some pictures of this custom Nudge Bar. I think it has come out well and it does serve the intended purpose.

Description :

The nudge bar is made from 1.2mm MS Pipe which weighs only about 4kgs in all. This will protect the front end and lamps from all minor impacts while parking, signal-roll-backs, bikers squeezing past etc. It is bolted on the same fog lamp brackets on the top and secured by two existing 6mm bolts on the engine-sheild plate below the vehicle. The bar has been designed to also hold the number plate so it does not appear very recessed and out of view. If the Car-Owner does not want the fog lamps the upper two brackets would need a minor mod to make it a single piece.

This Duster has travelled 4600kms since the installation of these lamps and nudge-bar; there is no vibration caused to the lamps and the nudge bar has also not loosened up.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-1.-holes-lamp-bracket.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-3.-lhs.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-5.-rhs-painted-nippon-silver-aerosol.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-6.-lhs-bracket-self-locking-8mm-tvs-bolts-silicon-sealant.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-7.-rhs-bracket-self-locking-8mm-tvs-bolts-silicon-sealant-copy.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-8.-completed-brackets.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-4-2.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-5.jpg  

PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster-6.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2013 at 15:22. Reason: Adding link to the foglamp thread
noelravin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:15   #2
BHPian

re: PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster

Thanks for sharing your experience on how to fix the extra lamps and now the nudge bar.

I appreciate the meticulousness and thought that seem to have gone into it.

You are very right, often the crash guards are heavy and the popular myth that the stronger the 'crash guard' (both front rear) is better it is!

Apart from the dynamics the whole purpose of designing a modern with crumple zones will be defeated! While one may protect the lights and the bumper one may get badly injured, especially possible concussions in the head!
soonya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 15:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: PICS : Custom Nudge Bar for the Renault Duster

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 01:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
To NUDGE means to 'push' and in India we normally refer to these as "CRASH" bars which is not right. I dont think its right to install the heavy metal bars being sold around our country on a Duster as these add 25kgs to the front end of the car which could affect dynamics. Also the fitment of these bars are complicated as the front-end (bumper, lights etc) needs to be removed and a heavy 6-8mm guage plate is bolted to the cross member which is only 2mm thick. What sense does it make!!
That's a great DIY.
I am also looking for similar type of bar,unfortunately i couldn't find the similar bar in the market.
Thanks for sharing and motivating me to do it myself.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice job.
I'll suggest that you post dimensions of bar and also underside pics where it is connected to engine-shield.

Thanks.
Raab rakha.

Most Viewed