Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 10:59   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
the prototypes tested by HM for India had around 25 Bhps more than what the production version is tuned for
Anyway you can prove that? (Links, documents etc?)

I'm asking because the same engine is used in North America with a slightly different compression ratio and ECU setting and it only produces about an extra 5-6 horsepower and torque.

A 25 bhp gain in stock tune sounds improbable to me. I know guys who have an AEM Cold Air Intake, a performance header system and a cat-back exhaust installed and have remapped the ECU as well and have only managed to gain upto 15 bhp.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'm told there were a few cedias in the initial batches that came with 4G63 blocks instead of 4G94 blocks but with an SOHC head. The very same was sold in the UK until the new lancer took over. These were around 135bhp stock and obviously much more tuneable than the 4G94 block cars.

200bhp out of the 4G94 block is possible but will probably need forged conrods as those are the weak link in the engine. The block itself can take a lot lot more.
Old 28th November 2008, 00:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Anyway you can prove that? (Links, documents etc?)

I'm asking because the same engine is used in North America with a slightly different compression ratio and ECU setting and it only produces about an extra 5-6 horsepower and torque.

A 25 bhp gain in stock tune sounds improbable to me. I know guys who have an AEM Cold Air Intake, a performance header system and a cat-back exhaust installed and have remapped the ECU as well and have only managed to gain upto 15 bhp.
I had read an article in one of the Mags, where they had tested the pre production cars. I will search the article scan it and post it.
By the way the US spec cars are usually tuned keeping the pollution norms in mind.
The compression ratio, intake design and cam profile is included in the detuning process , not just ECU tuning.
I do not know what your friend wants from the engine, but if more power in needed, than get the JDM spec Intake manifold, injectors, pistons [compression ratio] and cams, the gains will be more and not just 5 -6 bhp. As you mentioned.
Old 29th November 2008, 23:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Weakest link on the 94 is the pistons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks