Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2006, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Adjusting the Car Height

Ssup guys!!!

Need your help in this matter...

I have a Honda City Type 2.
Most of the time while passing through a speed breaker (or should i say a CAR BREAKER) the chassis keeps touching.

Is there a way i can just increase the height of the car an inch or so.

this constant brushing of the car has damaged the pipe and the centre muffler and caused a hole in them.

The local mechanic is asking approx 2-3k to fit a new one, is this a best price....

Cheers!!!
Old 26th June 2006, 14:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Honda do you travel fully loaded? Because if you are travelling alone or with a couple of passengers the car should not touch on any speed breakers. Or maybe you are driving too fast over the breakers and as a result the car grounds. If the car is grounding under full load then I am afraid you really can't do much about it other than slowing down to a crawl for the breakers and also try to cross them diagonally.

Easiest method of raising the car height would be to either fit higher-profile tyres or fit bigger springs which is not really recommended.
Old 26th June 2006, 16:21   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~
Ssup guys!!!

Need your help in this matter...

I have a Honda City Type 2.
Most of the time while passing through a speed breaker (or should i say a CAR BREAKER) the chassis keeps touching.

Is there a way i can just increase the height of the car an inch or so.

this constant brushing of the car has damaged the pipe and the centre muffler and caused a hole in them.

The local mechanic is asking approx 2-3k to fit a new one, is this a best price....

Cheers!!!
Hi,

Please specify if it touches on empty or full load. If it touches on empty then you probbaly have weak shocks or springs or both.

There are many solutions to your problem but we need to know whats causing it first.
Viper
Old 26th June 2006, 17:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Honda do you travel fully loaded? Because if you are travelling alone or with a couple of passengers the car should not touch on any speed breakers. Or maybe you are driving too fast over the breakers and as a result the car grounds. If the car is grounding under full load then I am afraid you really can't do much about it other than slowing down to a crawl for the breakers and also try to cross them diagonally.

Easiest method of raising the car height would be to either fit higher-profile tyres or fit bigger springs which is not really recommended.
well my lancer touches when you are crawling over one particular breaker,
From gk1 if you take a u turn under the nehru place flyover to go to gk2
that damn this is so high
Old 26th June 2006, 19:40   #5
BHPian

few breakers it touches even when im drivin alone...

im using the car from last 5 years and have clocked 40,000 Kms

suggest me if i should change the shocks

Should i increase the height by installing a bigger shocks!!!
Old 26th June 2006, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~
suggest me if i should change the shocks

Should i increase the height by installing a bigger shocks!!!

Have you made sure your shocks are at their firmest settings before doing anything? No offenses but replacing your shocks within 40k kms sounds kinda absurd.
Old 26th June 2006, 20:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

i guess you could use spacers though they would really screw around with the way your vehicle handles nd make it kinda dangerous
Old 26th June 2006, 20:48   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
i guess you could use spacers though they would really screw around with the way your vehicle handles nd make it kinda dangerous
Hey,

Whoever gave you that impression. I think its time people around here get educated on whats good and not good. No offense to you mate but its just that off lately have seen quite a few ridiculous posts and ideas.

Viper
Old 26th June 2006, 22:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

Whoever gave you that impression. I think its time people around here get educated on whats good and not good. No offense to you mate but its just that off lately have seen quite a few ridiculous posts and ideas.

Viper
i have never driven a car with spacers but read somewhere on this forum that spacers screw around with the way the vehicle handles......maybe you could give us some more information on this
Old 27th June 2006, 09:18   #10
BANNED

Quote:
i have never driven a car with spacers but read somewhere on this forum that spacers screw around with the way the vehicle handles......maybe you could give us some more information on this
Hi,

Would appreciate it if you do not comment on things you have not experienced for yourself. This is just the tip of the problem in India. People start making statements without experiencing/verifying facts which discourages others.

Like all mods if not executed properly it may have negative results but that does not mean that particular mod is bad.

Once again please do not take offense but it would be better if all members here post/comment on things they are 100% sure of only otherwise stay away from the topic.

To answer your question spacers do not harm the car or the handling in any way whatsoever unless ofcourse if wrongly carried out.

Viper
Old 27th June 2006, 09:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
That is true, a car with spacers will definitely screw up the handling and make the car unstable and bouncy at high speeds. IMO, but I wouldn't recommend increasing the ride height of any car, lowering is fine but it would not solve the problem that ~HONDA~ is facing. I would suggest going in for a stiffer suspension and also some small changes in the driving style like:
1) Take any speed-breaker one wheel at a time ie., at a 45 degree angle or 135 degree. Your suspension automatically adjusts and this will not scrape your under chasis.
2) Brake well before you approach the speed-breaker and when accelerate gently when you are about to take the speed-breaker and remember not to brake after you are half way through.

In spite of all this if it still touches, you will need to go in for a new suspension and then implement Steps 1 & 2 to your driving style.

Hope this helps
Old 14th March 2009, 20:28   #12
BHPian

sorry to bring an Old thread to life, Help me out here:

My XETA has done about 40000 KM, Although my Suspension setup is fine.

I have noticed that the rear clearence is somewhat now lower than what it was even with the CNG Tank.

Would it be advisable to put in spacers to increase the height, I drive alone 99 % of the times.

Other than Visual aesthetic, would there be any issues!!!
Old 14th March 2009, 20:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Indica doesnt need spacers. You should be in for a tire change soon..so just get a higher profile than stock.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:47   #14
BHPian

Got it done today- 175/60...still looks low
Old 16th March 2009, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

just to confirm, go to dealership and measure a couple of new cars with a tape. (empty car : fender to ground)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks