Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Added: Paddle Shifts on my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwindows View Post
Hi Abhinav,

This is something I never thought could ever be possible and 'no ECU coding' thats like cake on the icing!

Please do post about how it feels. I have an exam in the afternoon but I'l keep looking for an update here.
I haven't got a chance to drive it yet. My office is in a very crowded place in Delhi and hence I do not take the car there as of now.

I shall drive tomorrow in the evening after getting back from office and shall post a proper review.

P.S. Hope your exam went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Congratulations @abhinav.gupta88!
I would have never guessed that it was this simple a task!
This makes me wonder, would a VW Jetta or an Audi A4 steering work (I think both offer paddle shifts) considering they share many parts?
Enjoy your ride!
Thanks, even i never thought it was this easy.

It might be a problem if the size of the steering wheel assembly or the airbag assembly differs in the cars. But you never know.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Mine is a stupid question. Has the airbag assembly put back in the new steering? did not in see pics.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igybeck View Post
Mine is a stupid question. Has the airbag assembly put back in the new steering? did not in see pics.
Yes sir, sorry that you did not see it going back in , but the picture that was clicked was too blurred to be posted. But yes, it has been put back.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:43   #19
BHPian

This is a hard to believe add on. I still wonder if the warranty is really intact. I mean skoda might attribute any electronic failure in future, to this add on. Have they by any chance confirmed that the car warranty is not tampered.

Cheers!
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
No coding required whatsoever.
This may sound stupid, but well here goes:

1. The steering looks good, but wouldn't there be an issue since I think the paddle shifts will also rotate with the steering wheel, given that we have a right hand drive and the way we steer is typically with one hand ahead and the other following and slithering behind the other (if you know what I mean)
2. Will the regular D and S modes work on the stick shift as well or can you use either the stick or the paddle?
3. Wouldn't changing gears on the paddle be difficult when a downshift is needed in the course of a turn?
4. What does ECU coding mean? (I'm assuming Electronic Control Unit and some coding to be done therein to change settings?)
5. How does the paddle shift connect to the gearbox. My understanding is that the auto typically works based on acceleration / throttle input?
6. Is there someone out there who makes such a steering for a Hyundai Verna AT? As someone else asked, can the Elantra's auto be plonked in the Verna AT?
7. Does the warranty being intact still stand? Has the Skoda dealer officially confirmed that the warranty is still valid?

Last edited by TheBigH : 22nd May 2014 at 17:04. Reason: addition of question
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
This is a hard to believe add on. I still wonder if the warranty is really intact. I mean skoda might attribute any electronic failure in future, to this add on. Have they by any chance confirmed that the car warranty is not tampered.

Cheers!
Nope, haven't confirmed it yet but I always have the option to replace the steering at any time before sending in for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
This may sound stupid, but well here goes:

1. The steering looks good, but wouldn't there be an issue since I think the paddle shifts will also rotate with the steering wheel, given that we have a right hand drive and the way we steer is typically with one hand ahead and the other following and slithering behind the other (if you know what I mean)
2. Will the regular D and S modes work on the stick shift as well or can you use either the stick or the paddle?
3. Wouldn't changing gears on the paddle be difficult when a downshift is needed in the course of a turn?
4. What does ECU coding mean? (I'm assuming Electronic Control Unit and some coding to be done therein to change settings?)
5. How does the paddle shift connect to the gearbox. My understanding is that the auto typically works based on acceleration / throttle input?
6. Is there someone out there who makes such a steering for a Hyundai Verna AT? As someone else asked, can the Elantra's auto be plonked in the Verna AT?
7. Does the warranty being intact still stand? Has the Skoda dealer officially confirmed that the warranty is still valid?

1. It will take time to get used to it because the paddle shifts will move with the steering, but the good part is, the gearbox auto shifts if it is redlined or if the revs fall below a certain limit for eg, travelling at 60 in 5th gear and slowing down will mean to 20 would mean the gearbox automatically shifting to 2nd / 3rd.

2. The paddle shifts can be used in the normal D mode as well. With a simple pull of the shifters, the car automatically shifts to manual mode which deactivates on 1 minute of no-usage of the paddle shifts or manually by keeping the '+' paddle pressed for 2-3 seconds

3. Like I said, if the car falls below a particular rev range ( which I think is 1000, the gearbox downshifts as it would in auto mode)

4. ECU coding means, removing the error codes or activating some features from the VCDS. However this wasn't needed as it is pre-activated on the car's ECU.

5. Electronically.

6. I haven't come across an OEM / Aftermarket steering with paddle shifts for Elantra / Verna yet.
As for the gearbox, it wouldn't be advicable to change the gearbox as it would mean changing a lot of key components.

7. My Reply to the quote above yours.
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
ECU coding means, removing the error codes or activating some features from the VCDS. However this wasn't needed as it is pre-activated on the car's ECU.
Thanks for the detailed responses sir. What is VCDS? Also, my question is more along the lines that can the normal DSG gear lever and can the paddle shifts be used together? For example, in manual mode, can you downshift using the gear lever and upshift using the paddle or vice versa? Basically, can both be used at the same time or either of the gear lever or paddle shifters can be used? Thanks.

Old 23rd May 2014, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
Thanks for the detailed responses sir. What is VCDS? Also, my question is more along the lines that can the normal DSG gear lever and can the paddle shifts be used together? For example, in manual mode, can you downshift using the gear lever and upshift using the paddle or vice versa? Basically, can both be used at the same time or either of the gear lever or paddle shifters can be used? Thanks.

VCDS is the software used for diagnostics of the ECU on the VW Group Vehicles.

Yes, both the sticks and the paddles can be used simultaneously.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:43   #24
BHPian

This is one cool upgrade Abhinav , makes me wonder if I would be willing to spend so much on my 1.8 tsi. Plz keep all of us posted on your experience with paddle shifters..
Old 24th May 2014, 12:43   #25
BHPian

hi

Firstly congrats on the upgrade !

Pardon me for this seemingly stupid query ; but I am not really able to comprehend the real advantages of these paddles. Especially with these DSG gearboxes ; the upshifts especially are so quick with respect to the throttle input that you really don’t need to interfere with it’s functioning ; also inside the city in heavy traffic with a light foot it does not go beyond the 3rd or 4th gear and drops down to the 2nd gear too pretty quickly.
Also during my highway trips I have never had the need to downshift in a hurry either.
Ghats/hills ? Maybe yes !
So much so that I thought these paddles will really remain obsolete for most of the usage period ? Please correct me if I am wrong ; mainly because I let go of an offer of adding this setup to my vento TSi at a much cheaper rate.
Old 24th May 2014, 15:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

Firstly congrats on the upgrade !

Pardon me for this seemingly stupid query ; but I am not really able to comprehend the real advantages of these paddles. Especially with these DSG gearboxes ; the upshifts especially are so quick with respect to the throttle input that you really don’t need to interfere with it’s functioning ; also inside the city in heavy traffic with a light foot it does not go beyond the 3rd or 4th gear and drops down to the 2nd gear too pretty quickly.
Also during my highway trips I have never had the need to downshift in a hurry either.
Ghats/hills ? Maybe yes !
So much so that I thought these paddles will really remain obsolete for most of the usage period ? Please correct me if I am wrong ; mainly because I let go of an offer of adding this setup to my vento TSi at a much cheaper rate.

The one and only advantage I see for these paddles is the "Fun Factor". Thats what is most important for me while driving, if the drive ain't Fun, then there is no point of doing it. The paddles add the fun factor to the car.

My driving includes travelling mostly on open / ring roads with a good average and high speed. I have only been using the paddles since I have got them, My car has forgotten the D Mode. It only passes through that while shifting between Manual Gears and N/R/P

If you are interested in the fun-to-play-with part of the paddle shifts, IMO, Go for them.
Old 24th May 2014, 15:58   #27
BANNED

Quote:

The one and only advantage I see for these paddles is the "Fun Factor".
Now that is a fantastic addition Sir to Octavia. IMO, Skoda should give such accessories as optional that do good to the car and to the driver.

60K is a decent price but that us nothing when the driving feel +looks are considered. Also the steering wheel adds to a nice elegant look to the dashboard.

Anurag.
Old 25th August 2014, 21:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
My Ownership Thread : Link
Hi Abhinav,

Recently i got an used Laura Petrol, manual tsi. I just wanted to get an upgrade to a 3 spoke steering wheel (though paddle shifters not required).

Just wanted to check, with you on the cost of the steering wheel and the contact from where you got. In bangalore, the authorized showroom guys where not aware of the steering wheel that could be swapped. You can PM me the details, or share your mobile number, where i can get in touch with you.

Nice upgrade, converting your Octy to vRS..

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th August 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag.
Old 25th August 2014, 22:33   #29
BHPian

[quote=ru153;3514492]
Quote:
My Ownership Thread : Link

Hi Abhinav,

Recently i got an used Laura Petrol, manual tsi. I just wanted to get an upgrade to a 3 spoke steering wheel (though paddle shifters not required).

Just wanted to check, with you on the cost of the steering wheel and the contact from where you got. In bangalore, the authorized showroom guys where not aware of the steering wheel that could be swapped. You can PM me the details, or share your mobile number, where i can get in touch with you.

I think he got it via www.vagtune.in and it was around 60k.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhinav,

Recently I got an used Laura Petrol, manual TSI. I just wanted to get an upgrade to a 3 spoke steering wheel (though paddle shifters not required).

Hi ru153,
Please tell me your contact #, unable to PM you since I don't have it enabled. Need to discuss with you regarding your successful purchase of Laura TSI as I'm also looking for one in Bangalore.
Actually I'm thinking of either Honda Accord or Laura TSI - since you have experienced both it will be useful to check with you.
Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th August 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks