Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2006, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Cheers Sandeep..the stock replacement is what I should have gone for.
Check out the K&N website for some interesting facts..the Typhoon kit for the Accord REALISTICALLY give you only a 2.5 BHP advantage....thats about 1.5% increase in power!!!! and for about 14K!!!
Old 24th August 2006, 12:20   #17
BHPian

i prefer conical ones coz they anyday are much better as far as the performance is concerned, ask our ford rocam for details.... he is one of the biggest fans of the conical K&Ns
Old 24th August 2006, 16:11   #18

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
In our dusty climate, k&n requires cleaning quite frequently, which can be expensive as well as a pain.
it doesnt require leaning that often,actually if its a little dirty,it works better because the dust settled on the k&n also acts a filtering media.you can check out the k&n site for more info.its called depth loading.
i dont know why you guys are complaining about the sound,the induction noise is purely nirvana.
Old 24th August 2006, 17:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

After 9 months of use, I somehow felt that engine efficiency was not up to mark, especially after service which confirmed all tune up was ok. Switched back to normal oem paper air filter and things were all right. Saw the k&n was quite clogged up. Got a cleaning kit and did the needful, performance was back. But again after 2 months, I noticed some drop. And I am not even in very dusty climate. Maybe Mumbai humidity also has a role to play...
Old 10th September 2006, 16:33   #20
BHPian

the noise frm the filter at high revs is normal, happens on my lancer....i love it....n i hav never experienced a flat spot till 3.5..... if anything its better than b4
Old 10th September 2006, 20:40   #21
BHPian

I have come across a couple of posts here, where people debate over K&N's ability to withstand with Indian conditions. Any comments? Iam not against any brand of category of filters, just need clarification over these debates that is circulated across different forums.
Old 10th September 2006, 21:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

like hellspawn said, teh sounds just nirvana!, after 4k. I drove karthik247's lancer before and after install and the drivabilty was far better even at low speed in 5th gear.

maybe you guys had a bad install.
Old 10th September 2006, 21:43   #23
BHPian

well..on the Expressway, at about 150-160, I can't even hear my passenger shouting..how's that...forget the ICE..
Test : with K&N cold air..top end : 205..0-100 : 7
without : : 208(ish)..0-100 : 7

I have taken it off and VOILA!!!! WHAT a difference!!
No discernable loss in power and her drivability is back...
That would make 2 K&N Conicals for sale...
Old 10th September 2006, 21:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I can understand the reason why its happening so. I just saw pics of your accords engine bay and it clearly shows that the K n N is placed in such a manner that cold air is not being feeded properly to it. If you place it in a proper place where air intake is good then i am so sure you will notice a difference.
Old 10th September 2006, 22:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
I can understand the reason why its happening so. I just saw pics of your accords engine bay and it clearly shows that the K n N is placed in such a manner that cold air is not being feeded properly to it. If you place it in a proper place where air intake is good then i am so sure you will notice a difference.
OT! whers the pic of the K&N install?
Old 10th September 2006, 23:06   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046
That would make 2 K&N Conicals for sale...
What models are they and how much you want for them?
Old 11th September 2006, 02:51   #27
BHPian

hey buddy ap10046 as u did mention..yes the intake note on the lancer is very loud compared to any other car..when run with a K&N 4" conical filter...but then again that sound's bliss..again in your case on a long constant drive..the noise does get annoying at times..it's according to everyone's own personal choice...i dont still understand your experience with lack of power upto 3.5k rpm..that's very surprising..i had installed quite a few K&N fipk air induction kit's on various lancer's and the review always was quicker throttle response...also the car's were very driveable under standard driving condition's..im sure since you've now unistalled them you definately did find a problem..otherwise you woudln't have done such a thing..but i would definately want to figure out what actually went wrong there...also about the K&N filter getting clogged up..yes that does happen..indian driving condition's are totally to be blamed for it...cleaning and re-oiling the filter is not that great an option..because excessive oiling could lead to serious damages..well what happens is the excessive oil on the filter tends to get sucked in and deposit's on the mouth of the throttle body and layer's the Mas(mass air flow sensor) leading it to fail one fine day..also the company claims filter's tend to work as good they do whether they are clean or upto 2.5 inches of dust settled on it..the oil used by K&N has some kind of charge..im not sure if positive or negative which forces the dust to settle on the outer side of the filter instead of getting sucked in with the air..anyways..all said and done..im still a die hard fan of the K&N conical performance filter's..hehe..cheers happy revvin..!!
Old 11th September 2006, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Hi Dragger
Thanks for the info.
I know lots of friends who swear by them..I was very happy with them on my City and my 1000. Its just, and this is just my opinion here, I think the Lancer 4G15, is not very compatible with the K&N's. I believe the stock airbox was so well designed initially.
Anyway, I am getting an AEM soon so lets see..
Cheers
Old 11th September 2006, 10:30   #29
BHPian

Hi,
The Accord's is the whole Typhoon setup and has run maybe..2000-3000 km and the Lancer has a conical K&N with a custom Venturi tube collar.
They are both with Karan of KS Motorsport
Old 1st March 2007, 17:38   #30
BHPian

get the typhoon for the corolla its a bit noisy though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks