Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 19:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
If your car has sentimental value, then well. The Peugeot TUD5 from the zen diesel (also found in later esteem diesels) will be a direct bolt on fit. Plus, the engine is VERY fuel efficient too. And you get Maruti's back up. Just ask your local Maruti dealer where to get one.
The TUD 5 is not a bolt on fit in petrol esteem.

extensive work on engine mounts, suspension and plumbing is required to fit TUD 5. The maruti engineers have done a wonderful job in fiting the diesel engine to esteem.

And a maruti dealer will not source this engine for you..
Old 21st August 2006, 21:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

@w12: Please refer post#14. The TUD5 has different tranny and ratios as well. And yes, Maruti dealers can source it. Used ones from the workshop. If you can't find any, PM me. I'll refer you to a Maruti workshop who does.
Old 22nd August 2006, 07:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas
I am having one Esteem of 1991 model petrol. Now i want to fit diesel on to it. Can anybody tell what engine should be good for it and where i will get the engine and what will be the overall cost for this convertion. Lastly is there any problem in RTO registration.

Suggestions are highly apreciated.

Thanks

He buddy,

The best engine swap is a nissan engine. In delhi most of the esteems and celos run on a nissan engine just drove a turbo charged celo today and i was dying to post in such a thread today . The cost for a non turbo conversion is some where about 30K but if u need a turbo engine some where close to 60k is expected. my friends celo gives 20+ with AC in city and i donot know how much on highway. And it is perfectly illigal for any such mod to be covered on an RC so forget that and enjoy the turbo on ur new car . If you need any more detail PM me and i can get those for you from my friend.
Old 24th August 2006, 09:42   #19
BHPian

Bolt on replacement = A replacement which does not need any change / modifications on eitherside to be possible

If extensive work is required on housing, tranny, plumbing etc.it does not remain a "Bolt On" replacement anymore.

Maruti service dealers provide backup for TUD5s on esteem / zen. The parts are not always available with dealers as there are very few diesel marutis on road. However they do get all the required parts from their central wearhouse.( I have an esteem Di with TUD 5 )

But they will not sell you a new TUD 5 nor will they convert any existing petrol esteem / zen to diesel.

If it is refurbished / second hand TUD 5s one is looking for , plenty are available in te market, you do not have to go maruti dealer for that. The same engine was used in Accent as well before crdi.

Toyota / Isuzu engines seems to be the favourite for converting esteem petrol to diesel.
Old 24th August 2006, 13:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was mentioning a used powertrain. Yes, it's not exactly a "bolt-on" per se, but no engine of a different make would be, for a given car. You'll definitely have to make SOME alterations. And the suspension ratings for petrol and diesel are same.

Maruti dealers can source both new and used ones. BTW, a new TUD5 will set you back by about 1.3L approx, including gearbox. Wiring, plumbing and labour extra. It is not legal, though. Your R/C will be nullified.

But, it is an expensive affair. The only advantage is that you get service backup from Maruti. Like I said, if going in for engine as a standalone, then yes, maybe Toyota and Nissan powerplants make more sense.

Last edited by veyron1 : 24th August 2006 at 13:57.
Old 30th August 2006, 18:58   #21
BHPian

So these mods are applicable to gypsy also??
wen i enquired,
the Toyota NC1 , TUD5 and Isuzu were the options i got.
and many adviced Toyoya as it gt less vibration.(iam told so)
Old 31st August 2006, 00:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I may add, the TUD5 is a lousy option on the esteem. Its noisy and crude. The Toyota is smooth, almost like a petrol, its compact and it weighs less. You can also mate it to the original esteem tranny and the ratios match quite well. It was a very, very popular retrofit in Chennai. Very few people do conversions now in view of the RTO hassles involved. You can get away with it until
1) You have an accident and the insurer voids your insurance cos you have an illegal alteration.
2) You probably can never sell your car, cos when the buyer goes to the RTO to change the ownership, he will have to take the car. And there is no way the RTO is going to miss that engine change.
3) If you ever let your insurance lapse, the insurance co. will inspect your vehicle, and then trouble.
Its just not worth the hassle anymore.

Last edited by jyobeb : 31st August 2006 at 00:17.
Old 23rd May 2007, 06:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
If I may add, the TUD5 is a lousy option on the esteem. Its noisy and crude. The Toyota is smooth, almost like a petrol, its compact and it weighs less. You can also mate it to the original esteem tranny and the ratios match quite well. It was a very, very popular retrofit in Chennai.
Jyodeb, do you know if the 1N or 1N-Turbo's are still available in India? I take it that these were used engines illegally smuggled into the country. I have a M1000 that I would like to modify to diesel simply because I miss having a diesel at home ever since I sold my Jeep.

Mituadas, if you are still active on the forum, did you go ahead with the modifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Very few people do conversions now in view of the RTO hassles involved. You can get away with it until
1) You have an accident and the insurer voids your insurance cos you have an illegal alteration.
2) You probably can never sell your car, cos when the buyer goes to the RTO to change the ownership, he will have to take the car. And there is no way the RTO is going to miss that engine change.
3) If you ever let your insurance lapse, the insurance co. will inspect your vehicle, and then trouble.
Its just not worth the hassle anymore.
I thought there should be no problem if the engine is legally available in India. While I've owned/ driven different sorts of vehicles, I still do think that the Esteem/1000 config is best suited for indian roads, because of size, weight and body driving dynamics. It would be a shame to let go of it for as less as 50K
Old 23rd May 2007, 08:57   #24
BHPian

Dude, instead of all the complications, just convert the car to CNG or LPG. Period.
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a 1000 fitted with a toyota diesel & it felt supreme in city drives. Of course the NVH was not very good, but the FE was amazing. 22kmpl in city is better than LPG by a long mile, but the problems associated with such an engine change will be there & if one has the time & the will to do it, then it might be worth it. But i dont think these engines are as freely available now as they were 6-10 years ago.
Old 11th February 2012, 20:47   #26

Re: Maruti Esteem petrol engine to Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Hate to correct you on that buddy but the M-1000 was definately around in 1991. Don't know exactly which year it was launched though, but its definately not 1993 as u say since i myself had a M-1000 which was manufactured in 1991 but was sold in 1996

Cheers
M 1000 was launched late 1990....
Old 17th February 2012, 14:45   #27
BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem petrol engine to Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumba View Post
M 1000 was launched late 1990.
I got a pair of side mirrors for my Esteem 2004 (the same as an Esteem 2003 but with a different front and rear) and they were meant for a Maruti 1000. Did the Maruti 1000 have the same shape as the 2003 Esteems?

I was also wondering under what circumstances does the RTO approve an engine swap. I have a 1.5L diesel TUD5 engine in an Esteem and it just can't take to the highways like modern diesel cars do. Can the engine swap be with another 1.5L diesel engine of a different power and manufacturer? Seeing how the Fiat 1.3L MJD has become really common and offers greater power, is there any chance of switching to the smaller engine and getting an RTO approval?

For folks with a Maruti Esteem diesel, a gearbox replacement is perhaps something they've considered for cars doing time on the highway too - at 100 km/hr, the engine is at 3,000rpm on 5th gear (at 120 km/hr, I see the FE drop to single figures. 140 km/hr? I'm almost red-lining it at those speeds) and the noise reminds you of a gear change but there simply isn't a higher gear to switch to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks