Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 17:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I have read somewhere that in case of a heavy rain, there is a possibility of water being absorbed through the straps due to capillary action, that's it.
The Handirack is even mentioned as a Genuine accessory in the XUV brochure on the M&M website. A luggage carrier in my IMO looks ugly and the handirack seems to solve the purpose for me. Will definitely try to get my hands on one.
Dont know to what extent effect heavy rains will have an impact.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:55   #17
BHPian

Dear Dinu,

I looked-up your posts and did not know where to post this query I am about to post. Since this is the latest chain(date-wise), I thought, though I would be digressing, I might as-well ask it over here.

As you may be aware from my previous post on another BMW X1 thread(zombiedriver/ sunilrj), I recently bought a pre-owned BMW X1. Its from October, 2012. I got myself a few accessories from Bimmian.com, one of which is listed here:
https://www.bimmian.com/Updated-Look...for-BMW-E84-X1

After installing this gear shift knob, one change I noticed is that I no more have to depress the button on the forward side of the knob to change gears(read modes). Assuming there was some fault with the item sent, I replaced it with my OEM knob(similar to the one you have on your car). And to my surprise realised that I do not need to press the button even on that one, except for when I am moving from 'P' or moving back to 'P' from 'R' mode. So, I wanted to ask you how you go about changing the gear.

Here is what I used to do earlier:
1. Depress the button on the knob, and move it to 'D' passing 'R' and 'N' on the way. Leave the button once I reached the final mode, in this case 'D'.
2. In the similar lines, if I had to reverse, I would depress the button and move the gear knob to 'R' from 'D' passing 'N' in between. And leave the button only after slotting the gear knob in 'R' mode.

Here is what I do now:
1. Just pull the gear lever to 'D' from 'P', passing 'R' and 'N'.
2. In case of reverse, just push the knob to 'R' from 'D' passing 'N' in between. Of-course, my right foot being on the brake pedal in a depressed state while the changes happen.

So, I see no necessity of pressing the button. Just the way we normally move from 'D' to 'DS' and then use the steptronic, we do not depress the button, right? Technically this sounds grossly wrong. But, if it was wrong, why does the gear shift knob move without us having to depress the button.

--Kalyan
Old 14th July 2015, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
So, I see no necessity of pressing the button. Just the way we normally move from 'D' to 'DS' and then use the steptronic, we do not depress the button, right? Technically this sounds grossly wrong. But, if it was wrong, why does the gear shift knob move without us having to depress the button.
Hi Kalyan, looks like there is some issue. In my car the knob behaves in the way you explained (before installing the new one). Has the lock pin come off or something? Please get it checked.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kalyan, looks like there is some issue. In my car the knob behaves in the way you explained (before installing the new one). Has the lock pin come off or something? Please get it checked.
Hi Dinu, the issue is sorted now, wanted to give you an update. The lock pin is fine, I got that checked. The new knob's shaft was about 5mm bigger than the older one so it would not go into the rod any further, hence the head would not lock itself up and rotate 360 degs as a result.

I still need to cut it out(DIY) as suggested by Bimmian folks and try it again.

--Kalyan
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ctrack is an official distributor for Handirack - http://www.ctrack.in/handirack/
Thanks for writing the thread up, and providing the link to the distibutor's site. I just ordered a set of handiracks @ ₹ 7900.

In fact I was tempted to accept the combo offer of the hold-all and the rack, @ ₹18490. However I realized that it's just a ₹1500 discount on MRP.
Besides the hold-all seems to be a large cargo bag - probably to hold various small odds and ends together. Despite the utter lack of trunk space in R3, (when all seats are up), I think I'll be able to manage such items , by using a little imagination . Certainly the discount @ ₹ 1500 is not really going to sway me towards a big ticket purchase.

A little concern is that shipment may be delayed , past my next long drive.

Nevertheless, I went ahead and put the money down. I will probably have to call & tell them to get moving with my order.

My first trip with Handirack will be with 7 accompanying passengers. I will post my experiences. when i return.
Old 18th February 2022, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Made the return trip from Trivandrum to Bangalore today. The Handirack served well.
Bumping up an old thread. Looking for removable roof carrier options for my Hector Plus that has a panoramic sunroof. Handirack is listed as an accessory in the MG brochure, however not for the variants with the panoramic sunroof.

Coming to my question - has anyone used this with the sunroof? Any other options for sunroof? I want the carrier only for occasional trips when 6 of us are in the car and we can’t travel light

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks