Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 11:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack

I had got this through a cousin of mine in the UK around 2 years back, but got a chance to use it last weekend on a long trip from Bangalore to Trivandrum - 740km. The car was loaded fully with stuff in the boot with parcel tray removed and so we had no option but to carry luggage additionally on top. Details of the product and how to use is here http://www.handiworld.com/handirack-1.html

Pros
- Very easy to install and uninstall - just 15 minutes
- Pretty durable and able to take some amount of abuse
- All in one package including the inflatable pads, pump and tie-downs
- Usable across cars

Cons
- Not a heavy duty carrier, so take it easy with speeds - you always have a worry especially on long trips whether things might slip out
- Travel time increases as its not recommended to go above 100 to 110 kmph
- I think my fuel efficiency took a hit because of the possible additional drag. The X1 gave 14.2 kmph even though I did not exceed 120 at any point - was expecting between 16 to 17
- Needs a bit of tightening every 2-3 hrs of drive to ensure the luggage does not slide

Overall a very good experience. Especially useful for short hauls when you have to carry something really big or long which does not fit inside the car eg: when moving houses or furniture
Attached Thumbnails
Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_065748.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_070547.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_072126.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_072214.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_073308.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_074837.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_161110.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_161119.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150328_161153.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150329_082126.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150329_082441.jpg  

Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack-20150329_082904.jpg  

Last edited by dinu2506 : 1st April 2015 at 11:57.
dinu2506 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack

Thanks for sharing, makes for a good option on those long holiday drives. Since it's not a permanent fitment, this can be very useful.
Any ides of Handirack's availability in India.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check out ROUF RAILS
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-143.html

A friend in my society bought these for his ERTIGA and the product cost him 16K. Delivered to his door.
The Fiber parts are painted in car shade and the paint quality is good, however it gets scratched very easilly.
They have made protruding front fin ends which were found heavily scratched during transportation and are now ugly spots whence seen from front. Have advised friend to get it covered with radium or CF tape to cover the ugly spots.
I dont know if they have product for your car but you can google them and ask.

We fitted it last weekend only as he is going on road trip over upcoming Godd Friday long weekend. Installation took us about 20 mins with 12/13 & 14/15 spanners. You dont need anything else. Once fitted it looks like integral part of car.

I have seen THULE also but they look too boxy and one can feel wind forecs acting on steering wheel.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st April 2015 at 12:34.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Thanks for sharing, makes for a good option on those long holiday drives. Since it's not a permanent fitment, this can be very useful.
Any ides of Handirack's availability in India.
Ctrack is an official distributor for Handirack - http://www.ctrack.in/handirack/
dinu2506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: HandiRack, an inflatable roof rack

A quick question. The straps are going through the car door, what about the door seals? Is it going to damage the rubber door seals? How is the door closing? are you hearing wind noise at higher speeds?
Old 2nd April 2015, 14:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A quick question. The straps are going through the car door, what about the door seals? Is it going to damage the rubber door seals? How is the door closing? are you hearing wind noise at higher speeds?
Absolutely no issues with the door seals. I had installed it a day before my travel and with the luggage it travelled for a full 11 hours at decent speed. When I removed them on reaching the destination, I checked for any damages on the seals, there were none. Its a flat thin and wide nylon strap, so there is no pinching on the rubber seals. The doors were closing as normal and there was no additional wind noise. I have read somewhere that in case of a heavy rain, there is a possibility of water being absorbed through the straps due to capillary action, that's it.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:42   #7
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this Dinu. I have a roof rack bag that I used to use for my Jeep. It is something similar to http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-07203-1...+Top+Cargo+Bag but did not need the use of the cross rails.

What is the advantage of this type of contraption over the bag type above? One I can see is that it would scratch your roof - Anything else?
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
What is the advantage of this type of contraption over the bag type above? One I can see is that it would scratch your roof - Anything else?
I think you are right, the key advantage is that it would protect your roof. But I think it is not only scratches, it also distributes the load to the structurally rigid areas like the side members. Makes it possible to also carry small real heavy stuff, which might otherwise cave the roof in. You can easily carry odd shaped stuff like ladders etc without damaging the car.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 09:29   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the info. The red and blue sheets you put in there are rubber sheets available as part of the package or did you buy them elsewhere ?
Old 6th April 2015, 10:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrk_18 View Post
Thanks for the info. The red and blue sheets you put in there are rubber sheets available as part of the package or did you buy them elsewhere ?
Those were my old yogamats. Just put them there as an additional protection for the roof, that's all.
Old 10th April 2015, 10:58   #11
BHPian

Interesting option there. Have been looking at options for some time.

Anyone done some study on the effect of carrying luggage on the roof (for which these vehicles were not designed ; or please correct me there if we have data)

... And the resultant rise in CG of the vehicle that could make the vehicle, a wee bit unstable or more, depending on how heavy the load on the "head" is!

Just Curious.
Or are these weights just too low compared to the total mass?
Considering the fact that the wind resistance on the luggage on top definitely changes the drive dynamics, (obviously that's why Thule overhead containers are pointy and supposedly aerodynamic in the front) I'm thinking there must be sufficient drag against the forward movement of the car (resulting in bad economy - slightly bearable) OR drag/force sideways during turns - DEFINITELY not a great thing.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

That's a real handy roof rack Dinu. Great for those occasional trips with loads of luggage. Thanks for the tip. Also, good to see a beagle on team bhp. Had a beagle for 11 years and they're an awesome breed. So warm, intelligent and funny.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Interesting option there. Have been looking at options for some time.
Anyone done some study on the effect of carrying luggage on the roof (for which these vehicles were not designed ; or please correct me there if we have data)
The BMW X1 manual clearly has a section on roof mounting. They specify a max load of 80kg, but they obviously recommend BMW carriers. The Handirack manual recommends to go as per car specs when it comes to roof load and additionally recommend not to exceed 110 kmph and to use anti slip mats (similar to yogamats) for long distance travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
That's a real handy roof rack Dinu. Great for those occasional trips with loads of luggage. Thanks for the tip. Also, good to see a beagle on team bhp. Had a beagle for 11 years and they're an awesome breed. So warm, intelligent and funny.
His name is Cookie and is now 6 months old. Yes, hes a darling and an integral part of our family
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Made the return trip from Trivandrum to Bangalore today. The Handirack served well.
Old 11th May 2015, 00:39   #15

HandiRack is featured as an accessory for the Mahindra Scorpio on their website under the accessories brochure.
Though the prices are not mentioned there, and I am not sure if a lot of people have bought and used the same, since there are no feedbacks available for them.
This seems to be a suitable solution for people with occasional usage of roof carriers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks