Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 16:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!

Opened up the front and sealed the side. This should work till the euro part comes (if it ever will) from germany :-| Also noticed that the front opening has more area compared to the side opening. Which is good. Btw if someone is doing this, do not cut off that separators in front.

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150509_181535.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150509_181543.jpg

Apparently the Euro part has opening at the back, so chances of hydrolock are nil due to that alone. In the Euro part the air goes in front and escapes from behind, the intake duct sitting higher would suck up from that stream of outside air.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 16:25   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Opened up the front and sealed the side.
Nicely done Sankar. Used the dremel?

Quote:
This should work till the euro part comes (if it ever will) from germany :-|
Have you ordered it? If it was from the eBay link, did the seller agree to ship it across?

Quote:
Also noticed that the front opening has more area compared to the side opening. Which is good.
Why? Increased volume of air entering? Would it make a huge difference?

Quote:
Btw if someone is doing this, do not cut off that separators in front.
Why so? Those act like stiffeners to avoid bending?
Old 14th May 2015, 16:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nicely done Sankar. Used the dremel?
Didn't use the Dremel, all the proper bits have been used up so didn't have any handy. So used a sharp flat bladed screwdriver to chisel out the outline and then used knife to smoothen it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you ordered it? If it was from the eBay link, did the seller agree to ship it across?
Why? Increased volume of air entering? Would it make a huge difference?
Why so? Those act like stiffeners to avoid bending?
Ordered a new one from a German parts catalogue site for 39Euros inclusinve of shipping. Paypalled the the money have not received any confirmation. Will wait for a month and if no sign then i will raise a dispute. Ebay guy was charging 50Euros for shipping alone. so didn't buy.

The area opened up is the original size of the opening VW intended when they decided to make the duct. Difference may be minimal but every bit helps. Lower IAT=lower EGT. No point in going for K&N and similar filters before fixing hot air issue. OEM air filter is not lacking at present.

The splitters on the air intake helps reduce turbulence. It also functions as a stiffener but if it was just a stiffener then the edges of the splitters didn't have to start about a CM further away from the intake opening. The splitter starts out nice and tapered and then cross section increases a bit going inside.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th May 2015 at 17:06.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: POLO Air Guide Channel - Hot Air Intake :)

Quote:
Euro spec Air guide channel - Opens to the front
Attachment 1368254
Attachment 1368255

The part no of the Euro spec air channel guide is - 1T0805971
Quote:
Ordered a new one from a German parts catalogue site for 39Euros inclusinve of shipping. Paypalled the the money have not received any confirmation. Will wait for a month and if no sign then i will raise a dispute.
Although i did not receive any confirmation from the vendor they did ship it and i received it couple of days ago. But India Post did its thing once again and the item was damaged. Top corner was broken :(
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-img20150611wa0008.jpg

Fixed it using Araldite and here's how it looks now. I hope the fix lasts!
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150611_180302.jpg

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150611_180338.jpg

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150611_230139.jpg
Old 28th September 2015, 21:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Previous week i got the Powerflex PFF85-430BLK black strut top mount bush installed in my Polo GT. The one in the link below

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/black-ser...Bush/9620.html

Pros:
Better feedback and feel from the steering
Holds line in corners much much better, feels more precise.
Steering return to center is more quicker

Cons:
On bad roads the presence of ruts and potholes makes it presence

Btw here are some videos of the movement of strut when its on the stock rubber bush. VW Golf MK4 Platform. Polo/Vento shares this front suspension setup.

Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 22:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Few updates, though this happened a long time ago.

BMC Air filter

Bought and installed BMC stock replacement air filter in the car. Why BMC? Because i like the build of BMC filters. Physically its also a bit larger than the equivalent K&N E-2997 which comes for the Polo and on the bottom of the filter there is support like the OEM filter.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-img20150715wa0012.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-img20150715wa0016.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-img20150715wa0007.jpg

Stock catalytic converter

Shifted back to stock exhaust system with catcon temporarily. It will be reverted back to custom downpipe later. There is considerable difference in performance between stock and downpipe.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-img20150715wa0001.jpg
Old 29th September 2015, 11:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Few more...

RCD 510

Couple of months ago an RCD 510 popped up in team-bhp classifieds and i contacted the seller exchanged few mails and my friend who is staying in the same town as the seller went and picked it up for me. I wanted a Bosch unit and i got one. It was from a Jetta. Even with the stock speakers this one change made a whole lot of difference to the quality of the music!

The instalation of the RCD 510 was done at Vagtune. We also added an OPS parking module to get the OPS display. in the head unit.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094949.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094912.jpg

Focal OEM replacement co-axial speaker

This was done as a DIY. Bought the speakers from ebay, bought some pop rivets and a hand riveter and did the installation. After the speakers have broken in it is sounding very nice. The highs and vocals are much clearer and not muddy. These speakers are a good combo with the RCD510.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-foc1.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-foc2.jpg

9W7 Bluetooth Module

This was bought and installed at Vagtune two weeks ago. They did a good job and this module has made my in car telephone usage a lot lot better. Now i cannot imagine the life without this. In the car i don't have to touch the phone to make or receive a call. The phone stays out of sight. I used to play music from the SD card previously but now prefer to use it through Bluetooth from my phone. I am using this module with the stock cluster and not the maxi dot cluster so the display is only available in the RCD510. Voice controls have been enabled using VCDS.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094834.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094858.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094841.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_094848.jpg
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 11:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shifted back to stock exhaust system with catcon temporarily. It will be reverted back to custom downpipe later. There is considerable difference in performance between stock and downpipe.
Dear Sankar,
Any reason why you shifted back to the stock exhaust?
And could you please share more details on what differences in performance - at lower rpms/higher rpms?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 29th September 2015, 12:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Sankar,
Any reason why you shifted back to the stock exhaust?
And could you please share more details on what differences in performance - at lower rpms/higher rpms?
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi Deepak, I had driven extensively with the downpipe and I wanted to try the stock exhaust and see how it fares with the current map being run, that is one reason. The other reason being i wanted to get the downpipe redesigned slightly. So once its done will mount it. Coming to performance with downpipe the car used to accelerate quicker. Higher RPM performance was slightly better and engine felt eager to rev. At low RPM (under 3000) there is not much difference in performance.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Previous week i got the Powerflex PFF85-430BLK black strut top mount bush installed in my Polo GT. The one in the link below

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/black-ser...Bush/9620.html
With the powerflex black series bush there is almost no gap between the strut top mount plate and the strut tower. The top cap doesn't turn with steering, its not designed to, so its not a problem.

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150929_194433.jpg
Old 1st October 2015, 08:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Few more...

Quote:
Focal OEM replacement co-axial speaker. After the speakers have broken in it is sounding very nice. The highs and vocals are much clearer and not muddy
Surprised by your opinion on these speakers. A colleague had installed these on my recommendation for his Vento Tsi. Stock head unit driving the speakers. I recommended it on blind faith (big mistake) as they are Focals and there is no meddling with the wiring. Almost plug and play fit too. After I heard them and even allowed them to play for over a month, the sound did not change all that much. It was bad and not expected of a Focal. The bass was loose and the treble was almost non existent. Every sound setting parameter had to be set at borderline for the speaker to sound good and even after that we were unable to achieve the desired results. No sign of any mid frequency. It was so bad that my colleague put back the stocks. He later got a couple of pairs of Polk DB's installed and those are really good.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Few more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Surprised by your opinion on these speakers. A colleague had installed these on my recommendation for his Vento Tsi. Stock head unit driving the speakers.
Stock head unit is crap. Even with stock speakers the change to RCD 510 bettered the listening experience in my car and i was beginning to wonder whether i need to upgrade the speakers. But decided to anyway and the switch to Focal speakers opened up the vocals and the highs.
Old 12th October 2015, 13:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Came in this morning. Better to have some workshop manual if not the company manual.

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20151012_111242.jpg

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20151012_111254.jpg
Old 12th October 2015, 16:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came in this morning. Better to have some workshop manual if not the company manual.
Dear Sankar,
Isn't the polo tdi model you have come with a 1.5L engine?
The fine print at the last page mentions a 1.6L TDI.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 15th October 2015, 07:26   #45
BHPian

Hi Sankar
I have done the remap of my i20 CRDi from Code6. Have been running this map for the past 6 months and am very happy with the leap in performance (from idle rpm upto ~3250 rpm). Am planning to decat and get a custom downpipe installation done from Bay6. And maybe a redesigned endcan and EGR blank as well. I am hoping this will give a boost in performance post 3.25k at least till 4k which I would be very happy with. Do you think if these mods are done it would make a significant difference compared to stock hardware? Also what would happen of the emission tests after these mods? Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks