Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you have on your current car?
OEM Seat Fabric 100 50.76%
After-market Fitment 45 22.84%
Leather Seats (OEM or After-market) 52 26.40%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Seat Covers - Yes or No?

Now this comes from someone living in India's coal belt - Dhanbad, Jharkhand to be precise. Every time your vehicle is out, all that's required for coal dust (soot) is a faction of seconds to enter the car -open the door and here we come! Add to that, Ertiga beige upholstery and whoa you have one ugly looking seats and interiors of course.

Readily available solution - Get the Art leather covers (dark shades) and live with that !
anupams is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:44   #17
BHPian

I am with the hate-beige brigade too.

I don't mind putting seat covers just to change the seats to a darker shade that's easier to maintain. But alas, some seats do have airbags built in them, and that makes it even more difficult!

I can understand the point of view of spending equivalent or less money in shampooing the seats etc. But I have seen far too many unhappy looking beige seats in cars that look bright and shiny from the outside...

Dirt comes in however hard you try, and Monsoon can make it even worse.
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Statistical outliers are there in every survey bro. You have a a very responsible almost-teen. Do you sometimes ferry your almost-teen's cousins/friends in a large group in your car ever? You would quickly realize that not all almost-teens are alike.

And its not always food, drinks, icecream that's the culprit. But feet, shoes, and very healthily grubby hands.
Well, she used to be younger! I won't a fun dad if I don't chauffeur the screaming, howling and singing horde every now and then, right? Makes the investment worthwhile, lots of outings with the little ones, but nothing a short cleaning can't handle. At least for me and the only things I restrict are putting out anything through the windows and interfering with driving.

Lipstick is a genuine reason for leathers. I have a friend who once had to do a lot of explaining to his sweet one at home because of an incident that involved a hard braking that coincided with the lipstick application activity of one of his rear seat passengers. We were returning from an office lunch and our colleague was in the back center seat when he had to brake. She grabbed the driver's headrest with the hand holding the lipstick, making a delightful smudge in the process .
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:43   #19
BHPian

Hi Enonho, is there any solution to this issue? Rains aside, there is always a chance of a kid spilling water in the car or worst any other liquid getting spilled (tea/coffee/ aerated drinks). What can one do in such cases then?
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:08   #20
BHPian

I voted for "After Market Fitment".

Reasons - I get bored easily with the same stuff. I went for after market seat covers so that I could scrap them and buy new few years down the line when I get bored of the current ones. Apart from this, the current seat cover came with pockets, which the OEM did not have.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:19   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

"After Market Fitment"
The main reason at that time was since child was very young, we carried food on long trips so wanted something easier to clean, so opted for Art Leather seat covers.
After 5 years the top layer started peeling off so had it replaced last year. During the process I found that the steel strips/pins used (to bifurcate the seats with a border) had actually rusted and stained the OEM fabric seat cover
I will definitely not go for Art Leather on my next car, maybe fabric or just use the OEM ones as is.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have OEM fabric seats on my swift for past 7 years and one lac kms on odo. My daughter was born in the same year we bought the car. She is 7 now, so practically she is growing up with the car using it as she likes. The covers still look very good. I feel maintaining OEM fabric seat covers is much easier than after market covers I had on my previous car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hi Enonho, is there any solution to this issue? Rains aside, there is always a chance of a kid spilling water in the car or worst any other liquid getting spilled (tea/coffee/ aerated drinks). What can one do in such cases then?
But liquid can spill on after market covers and seep into the OEM covers too. Won't it be better if there are no after market covers? It will be easier to clean the covers and dry them faster.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 11:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
There is really no solution to accidental spills (aside from a strictly enforced no drinks or liquid foods policy inside car).

That said, with seat covers, 95% of your tensions are over. A nice slightly soapy damp cloth wipe down once a month, and my beige seat covers glisten like brand new. The effect can never be replicated even by professional detailers with expensive in-car cleaning packages, for bad spills which quickly leave near permanent stains on OE fabric seats.

That apart, they (beige) give a sense of space and airiness and a luxurious plushness to the inside of an already spacious truck, that is robbed to an extent with dark colored interiors (my personal opinion, as the owner of a black truck).

The other advantage is that in the rains with wet people and objects inside, after market seat covers when they get wet/damp, firstly dry in an instant, and secondly, do not smell, unlike fabric when it gets wet or damp, and then remains like that in a closed car in a rainy damp environment .

The remaining 5% tension is sharp object punctures of the seat covers. Cigarette smokers have the added tension of burn holes. My littlest one loves collecting toothpicks (!) from restaurants. There is a strictly enforced in-car policy of toothpicks-deposited-into-mama's-purse before getting into the truck. Even so,you have to be careful of sitting by mistake on keys, etc. as well as the back pocket rivets of jeans.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th June 2015 at 11:29.
Old 7th September 2015, 10:56   #24
BHPian

In my opinion, I wont go for seat covers. I tried my best to convince my family for no seat covers. But recently I noticed that my seats are getting stained and I need to protect them from my 2.5 years old kid who keeps on jumping on those seats with shoes! And to my shock I also noticed that my kid is removing sponge from my seats.
Old 7th August 2019, 16:12   #25

I have read somewhere (also in the forum) that after market seat covers may not be advisable for cars with 6 airbags. I have booked (and expecting delivery soon) of a Creta SX(O) Petrol and it comes with 6 airbags. I asked the SA and he said that never encountered this question. He did not inspire confidence. Hence asking the knowledgeable forum.

Thanks in advance
Old 7th August 2019, 23:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoubhikganguly View Post
I have read somewhere (also in the forum) that after market seat covers may not be advisable for cars with 6 airbags.
I don't understand how seat covers affect your airbags. Unless adding a cover affects the functioning of the weight sensor in a seat. Airbags are not installed in the seat
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

After using bucket fit Artificial leather seat covers in my last two cars (Ritz & Terrano), I have decided to keep my XUV's seats cover free.

Reasons:
1, PU seat covers become extremely hot during summer in a parked car.
2, The stock covers of XUV of light camel shade along with proforated jaquard fabric look fabulous.
Old 7th August 2019, 23:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoubhikganguly View Post
I have read somewhere (also in the forum) that after market seat covers may not be advisable for cars with 6 airbags.
Please do not add aftermarket seat covers for cars with front seat airbags, like the Creta. If there are seat covers, the airbags will be rendered useless.
Quote:
6-Airbags
Six airbag reveal Hyundai's uncompromising approach to safety engineering. Dual front airbags, front seat side- impact and side curtain airbags work together with the seatbelts and the available pre-tensioning system to take the safety of the vehicle to an un parallel level.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat Covers - Yes or No?-hyundaicretacar22500x500.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 13:59   #29
BHPian

Voted for OEM seat fabric.

Have had 4 cars so far, and none have had any seat covers.

Reasons:
- It is not possible to get better than the OEM quality fabric seat covers and fitment,
- Upholstery shampoo keeps it clean,
- Cannot bear rexine or art leather, simply too uncomfortable and tacky,
- Good leather seats look and feel luxurious, but I cannot imagine myself surrounded by so much dead animals stuff, knowing it takes upto 4-5 cows worth of hide to make an average car's seats.
- The seats stayed uncovered even when our kid was born. The 2010 Jazz had beige seats, but the upholstery shampoo always did its job. Storme's are dark shade, much easier to maintain.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:36   #30
BHPian

I prefer dark interiors and hate beige colored seat fabric. I am okay with OEM fabric seats as long as they are in black or grey. If its beige, then I would rather get some dark colored fabric seat covers installed from some place with quality workmanship.

Will never go with Art Leather as I am not comfortable with them during summers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks