Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:44   #61
BHPian

Re: The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-rsz_chaiwala2.jpg The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-1417001537870_bangladesh4.jpg

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-5017379544_286e28f9fa_b.jpgThe obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-1_indiantruckdecoration.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Even though I am not much of a chrome lover, I can't fathom why it is so difficult to accept / ignore others' tastes. Is it written in stone somewhere that using chrome is tasteless whereas black is the only style statement? Let people enjoy and spend their money on what they like. Not everyone might like the "understated" look. Who are we to judge them?

I have to agree. Beauty does lie in the eyes of the beholder. We Indians love decorating our vehicles. Remember the fancy cycles with all sorts of shiny, lacy and stringy fittings in our childhood days? Sights that I am including here, are pretty common across all roads - maybe more prevalent in North India than South India. I would be of the opinion that the grills add personalization to the cars, and of all people, Indians are the ones who thrive in the maximum diversity. So lets have fun with all these, than be self-righteous in our condemnation. Again my personal view, of course!
anshuman_v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:34   #62
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it actually looks good on the elite i20

But is horrible on the Innova and the BMW style one for the New Scorpio is atrocious.

Yes it does look good on some but bad on most.

People go to accessories stores to do the ritual of customizing their vehicles right after purchase and the accessories shop guys do promote these and a lot of other chrome stuff. The trend of changing the music system is decreasing due to the really nice ones that come as OEM plus steering mounted controls getting D-Linked as also the fear of warranty being void.

Excellent thread. Yes this has grown exponentially this year and cars on our roads are more and more going the China way.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 08:57   #63
BHPian

Having an aesthetic mod is probably a personal choice. Personally I would never want this kind of grill

But technically is this design good / bad for the air flow? Is there a technical reason that grills are designed the way they look?
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 10:49   #64
BHPian

I want a mesh grill on my Cruze however I don't want it in chrome. It's a grey Cruze and I don't think I'd want to chrome it. I've not been able to find a black mesh grill for it.
Has anybody any experience with striping these chrome grills of their chrome and painting them black?
OR better still, know where I can lay my hands on a black mesh grill for Cruze?
Old 24th July 2015, 13:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKHYD View Post
Having an aesthetic mod is probably a personal choice. Personally I would never want this kind of grill

But technically is this design good / bad for the air flow? Is there a technical reason that grills are designed the way they look?
It will be fun listening to some technical reasons.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 22:14   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
One I can think of, though non-technical is Safety! Wait for it ... Yeps, in a strange way you can relate its "function" to those of the Daytime Running Lights. All the chrome-liciousness would drastically improve the daytime visibility. You all noticed them, didn't you?
Old 25th July 2015, 08:06   #67
BHPian

Spotted this XUV near my college entrance. Safe to say looks horrible in person.

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1437791709.401752.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th July 2015 at 08:13. Reason: Aligning image in post.
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:31   #68
BHPian

I personally do not like chrome grills. I always feel just like 'B' pillars are finished in matte black, the same should be done for the grill. A black gloss or matte grill will make the car look more sporty. But then some would say that the chrome grill would make the car look grander. Well then it just boils down to each one's personal taste.
Old 2nd August 2015, 11:12   #69
BHPian

I think so many chrome grilled vehicles on road is a good sign for stock lovers. More such craziness will make our stock car stand out and look better lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
How I wish I have my linea decorated like that for a day for strict amusement and photo opportunity purpose.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:17   #70
BHPian

Obsession for a chrome grill is definitely on a rise and due to the same reason most of the e commerce websites have started listing them. I personally find them of poor quality and too loud. They seem to be crying for attention rather than adding to car's aesthetics.
However what i would really love to have for all cars is some diamond grill like the one in mercs. That is something which would definitely look classy and subtle.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 6th August 2015 at 12:19.
Old 6th August 2015, 13:18   #71
BHPian

Personally,I don't like chrome grills.Why is it that air dams in the bumpers,in almost all cars are open ? I think,it is for cooling of the radiator.At the same time,on highways,small debris from the roads can hit the radiator and damage it.Can't the manufacturers provide plastic mesh grills so that the inside parts are not damaged? I searched for them,but car companies don't manufacture them.We have to source it from the outside market .
Old 7th August 2015, 17:30   #72
BHPian

Chrome mesh grill and chrome car body accessories may be considered as bling factor which may translate into looking shiny, expensive and grab attention and also personal preference. This was the answer from couple of my friends who like accessories chrome in cars. There is a vast selection of chrome accessories for cars today. I am not a fan of chrome on cars and to the least I think chrome accessories suit only dark color cars. As they say, Indians love chrome.
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-tfchrome.jpg

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-toyotainnovachromeeditionmpv.jpg

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-celerioaccessories.jpg

I don't like chrome on cars and have stuck matte over the chrome on my K10's grill.
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-chromeblack.jpg
Old 7th August 2015, 18:07   #73
BHPian

I had been hit by this chrome grills of different cars in Chennai especially Hyundais and Toyotas.
I was like why would the vehicles be like showing its teeth off? All of 'em are hideous.
Besides, why copy from Bentley (which was good BTW) and make our cars cheap?
Old 7th August 2015, 18:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnJr View Post
One I can think of, though non-technical is Safety! Wait for it ... Yeps, in a strange way you can relate its "function" to those of the Daytime Running Lights. All the chrome-liciousness would drastically improve the daytime visibility. You all noticed them, didn't you?
On a serious note, these non-OEM chrome grilles may affect performance, emissions and pedestrian/crash safety.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:13   #75
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Garve Hyundai, Pune showroom in Wakad has these ugly chrome mesh grilles on the display cars at the showroom floor !

And those alloys with the Ferrari logo !
Attached Thumbnails
The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-img_20150809_181929107_hdr.jpg  

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-img_20150809_181947052.jpg  

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-img_20150809_181957962.jpg  

The obsession with chrome mesh grilles!-img_20150809_181855688.jpg  

Most Viewed