Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 15:09   #1
BHPian

Looking for very high-end upholstery shops (Mumbai)

Hi, as the thread says, I am looking to get some parts in my car upholstered in Alcantara. I say I am looking for high-end because I don't think any regular shop would have alcantara fabric lying around. Names and phone numbers would be great.(for those of you that do not know what alcantara is, it is a man-made synthetic suede like material. but much more durable. It is found only on high-end cars)

thanks in advance,
NRIturbo.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRIturbo View Post
Hi, as the thread says, I am looking to get some parts in my car upholstered in Alcantara. I say I am looking for high-end because I don't think any regular shop would have alcantara fabric lying around. Names and phone numbers would be great.(for those of you that do not know what alcantara is, it is a man-made synthetic suede like material. but much more durable. It is found only on high-end cars)

thanks in advance,
NRIturbo.
It would be very difficult to find Alcantara in India, as you know it's very expensive. Try DC (Dilip Chabria) but buyer beware!
Old 15th December 2008, 20:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

What do showrooms like MB do when one of their existing clients need a touch up or repair or replace Alcantara upholstery.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Contact the stanley leather boutique guys at worli. They may suggest someone.
I'll ask around too. Chowksy motors at milan subway may suggest someone too.

Or as dipen said, ask the guys at merc, bmw or audi.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
What do showrooms like MB do when one of their existing clients need a touch up or repair or replace Alcantara upholstery.

Alcantara isnt found on MB's i think it can be found on LAmbo's, Ferraris and stuff. Not sure though.

First Impressions ANOOP MALANI -98201 49603, Fabrics - 2368 6547, Stanley Leather - 2498 8249, BARON INC - 2628 3429

If any shops in india have it then it could be these.

Last edited by danlalan : 15th December 2008 at 21:43.
Old 16th December 2008, 01:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Alcantara isnt found on MB's i think it can be found on LAmbo's, Ferraris and stuff. Not sure though.
It surely is found in the M and the SL and the S class. Not sure only the high end models have that as a option or the entire class range.

Not sure if this is an option:
Import the fabric yourself and the get professionals like Stanley or similar do the job.

Last edited by dipen : 16th December 2008 at 01:26.
Old 16th December 2008, 01:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It surely is found in the M and the SL and the S class. Not sure only the high end models have that as a option or the entire class range.

Not sure if this is an option:
Import the fabric yourself and the get professionals like Stanley or similar do the job.

Alcantara Leather maybe. But Alcantara fabric..?? MB's i doubt.
Old 16th December 2008, 06:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Alcantara Leather maybe. But Alcantara fabric..?? MB's i doubt.
there actually isnt a such thing as alcantara leather. its completley man made fabric. it is also called ultrasuede.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRIturbo View Post
there actually isnt a such thing as alcantara leather. its completley man made fabric. it is also called ultrasuede.
Its not like the material leather. But its called Alcantara leather, Alcantara fabric.
Old 28th September 2014, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for very high-end upholstery shops (Mumbai)

Does any one have information about Alcantara leather or Ultrasuede available in India ?
Old 7th October 2015, 09:37   #11
BHPian

Inputs on Alcantara needed

Whenever I am overseas and see cars with Alcantara interiors my jaw always dropped. They look awesome. The advantages seem to be many - Alcantara is hard wearing, breathable like fabric, holds you in place quite well, stays cool in summer and warm in winter, etc. Also, I am a big fan of a white car with black interiors. I have always felt they are very hot looking. For the uninitiated - Alcantara is a trade name given to a composite material used to cover surfaces and forms in a variety of applications. It can be described as an artificial substitute for suede leather.

With that prelude in place, here is the idea - I am planning to get my 3 year old Linea T-Jet seats reupholstered in black. I am thinking of a perforated and plain combo. The choices available to me are -
  • Pure leather from a reputed vendor
  • Import Alcantara and get it stitched by a reputed vendor
  • Import Alcantara and go for an Alcantara & pure leather combo

Here are a few sample pictures of Alcantara used in car interiors (pics from the web. Credits to respective owners)

Inputs on Alcantara needed-66718432.jpg

Inputs on Alcantara needed-alcantara-leather.jpg

Inputs on Alcantara needed-m3_frozen_silver_innen_1_detail_2.jpg

Inputs on Alcantara needed-alcantara.png

However, I am worried about how well they hold up in Indian conditions. I think a few high end cars in India also come with some Alcantara bits.As usual, the reviews on internet are confusing. I am trying to get more details from existing owners here in India. A first hand feedback, if you will.

Here are my questions -
  • Does anyone here have Alcantara interiors?
  • How well does it hold up to Indian conditions?
  • Which of the above three choices would be the best and why?
  • How about high contact areas like steering wheel / shift knob?

Please pour in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 7th October 2015 at 09:51.
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inputs on Alcantara needed

Alcantara looks and feels very nice and can lift the interiors of a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
However, I am worried about how well they hold up in Indian conditions. I think a few high end cars in India also come with some Alcantara bits.
The Zeal edition of the new Octavia which was on sale some 6 months had OE Alcantara seats. Maybe one of those lucky owners can weigh in about the usage experience in our country.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 17:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
For the uninitiated - Alcantara is a trade name given to a composite material used to cover surfaces and forms in a variety of applications. It can be described as an artificial substitute for suede leather.
Interesting, I didn't realise Alcantara was a trade name!

How different is it from micro suede? (At least price-wise?)

The fact that your choice is for black will surely help minimize any dirt or wear seen...

The Laura vRS had white Alcantara on the top and bottom bits of the front and rear seats. You can ask Akshay1234 or prithwi-81 how their vRS' are holding up:
Inputs on Alcantara needed-skodalauravrs03.jpg

Adding a pic of the more recently announced Zeal edition Octavia seats that deetjohn mentioned:
Inputs on Alcantara needed-octint2.jpg

The fact that a company like Skoda has been offering it in India since many years means that there's probably no major issues with it in our climate. It is after all a polyester based material [68% polyester and 32% polyurethane]. Sounds pretty resilient!

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th October 2015 at 19:02.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 19:09   #14
BHPian

Here's another take on alcantara upholstery. Its worth a read.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/suede-...ors-1733409981
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 20:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
How different is it from micro suede? (At least price-wise?)
Both are a synthetic suede made from a polymer microfiber. Both were created in the 1970s and are commonly referred to as ultra-microfiber.

The Alcantara product is produced in the city of Terni in Italy, while the Ultrasuede product is produced in Japan. They are very similar for the most part. The production of the products is identical with the only real difference being in the dyeing process: Alcantara has a slightly mottled appearance while the Ultrasuede is a little more rich and consistent in its dye/color. Thus Alcantara resembles suede leather more than Ultrasuede.

Most of the confusion is related to the automotive lines. Alcantara has a number of automotive lines including Cover, Formal, Compact, Panel, Soft, and Perform (all with slightly different qualities depending on the application). However, there are only two types of Ultrasuede lines designated for the automotive market: Ultrasuede Ambiance - wide array of colors with no backing, and Ultrasuede Milano - this has a backing material applied to it and is more suitable for automotive applications such as seat upholstery.

Both materials are made in the same manner and to the same specifications with the only difference being the products color range and appearance. Price wise, I find that Ultrasuede is available in a wide variety of price range. Alcantara seems to be on the expensive side. Buying from a genuine supplier is critical. (Source - Wiki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Here's another take on alcantara upholstery. Its worth a read.
Thanks. Had read that a few days back. If Alcantara is good enough for Audi, Lexus, BMW and the likes, should be good enough for me too.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks