Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 03:12   #16
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Which model of lancer do you own and which part was expensive and for how much?
Lancer GLXi 2000 is what's mine.

To give you an idea of the costs, the rear right side door's central locking motor conked. HM Authorised SS have asked for Rs. 2850.00 + taxes for part replacement, Rs. 450.00 for labour. The damn thing shouldn't cost more than a few hundred rupees altogether.

Autocar / car mags may write anything - always ask an owner for actual feedback.

Besides, the fuel efficiency of a Lancer will kill the poor boy. Also, engine swaps are illegal according to the RTO, at least as far as I know. IMHO & that of the others, Citys lend themselves to cheaper base level mods.
Old 25th September 2006, 07:39   #17
BHPian

are engine swaps illegal then how come some people do it....
wil there be sudden checks of wat is under the hood by the cops???
Old 25th September 2006, 07:45   #18
BHPian

How many times in your owner ship have you got the motor changed..!
I still have the orignals running on my SFXi..!

Now someone who can afford 5 Lakhs to splurge on a car as a student, Can very well afford the mileage factor, Jahan he will get 10 - 11 Kmpl on a lancer, He will be able to survive the 11-12 kmpl on a the OHC.

IMHO, Lancer is a strong and sturdy machine, with excellent looks and low maintaince provided you kept it well enough..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th September 2006 at 07:48.
Old 25th September 2006, 09:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
To give you an idea of the costs, the rear right side door's central locking motor conked. HM Authorised SS have asked for Rs. 2850.00 + taxes for part replacement, Rs. 450.00 for labour. The damn thing shouldn't cost more than a few hundred rupees altogether.

Besides, the fuel efficiency of a Lancer will kill the poor boy.
The maintainence on your car maybe due to the age of the car. Is it a second-hand by any chance? Must be due to wear and tear. I saw the pics of your car and you have really described it well.

The parts for Honda city go in the same price range. Its another thing that Honda owners and fans rate Lancer engine as anaemic which infact is one of the smoothest and refined engines to date. I have said this from time to time. And its also another thing that most people only understand that the best performance car is the one that makes more Horses on paper without giving driving dynamics any consideration.

I am an owner of a 2003 sfxi. Its done around 50K now. Never been to the Dealer except for the regular service and oil changes. According to some of the biggest stalwarts on team-bhp the best lancers were sub 2003 models. I Guess my car didnt hear their satatement.

Fuel-efficiency has never fallen below 13kmpl in city with A/c and if that will kill the poor boy, he shouldnt look for anything but a hatch.

And while I am not suggesting or forcing to buy any car, do make sure you test-drive all the cars before buying. OHC's too have their own strengths and weaknesses and lancer is not an exception.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th September 2006 at 09:22.
Old 25th September 2006, 10:41   #20
elf
BANNED

You guys aren't getting my point...

I swear by the Lancer - it is one of the better cars I've owned & I love it. I'd also evaluated the City before buying it. I too chose the refinement & the solid build of the Lancer over the City. However, the point I'm trying to make is that a City would be better suited to the boy - he's a college kid, & they're often on a budget.

He's looking for a second hand vehicle - either car would be due for assorted parts replacement. Hence my advice to him for a base 1.5, not even the VTEC.

Also, a City at this point in his life would give him & his friends more thrills due to their base level modding abilities. Post college, when his budget rises, he could buy a Lancer if he likes, & add twin turbos / MIVECs / coffee grinders / fax machines / etc.

@rranjith_kum: Yes, as far as I know, engine swaps are illegal. Check the RTO rules for yourself. The rules say that you need to ask the RTO for permission before you do it, but that permission they never give. And yes, the RTO have the right to check any part of your vehicle, including under the hood, for specifications & compliance with their rules & your Registration Certificate.

Last edited by elf : 25th September 2006 at 10:46.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:13   #21
BHPian

Dude !
With me.. A Honda City Vtec anyday, I own that car.. modified it, looks pretty good.. and loads of performance mods that you can do on a honda city!
Old 25th September 2006, 23:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ollie, Kudos to your city but you need to count the number of mods available for both the cars. Mods for a lancer will outrun those for Vtec by 2-3 times.

but mods dont decide which car is better and both the cars will make enough power for the money we can usually spend on mods.
Old 26th September 2006, 01:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

If you're looking at bodykits, huge wheels, nice comfortable seats: Lancer
If you're looking at a slighlty fast and high revving car, slightly more fuel efficient, resale holding vehicle: Honda City

The 2001 ohc vtec for 5 Lakhs seems really expensive unless they are going to give you some 100 gms of gold with it. 4.5 L (considering used car market down south) is what you should spend on an extremely nice 2001 vtec, and around 4.25 for a 1.5 ohc. These are very much on the higher side.

As pointed out earlier, our man just wants a nice looking and sweet sounding ride, save the evos, aftermarket parts comparisons, etc talk for some other thread

Quote:
The parts for Honda city go in the same price range.
Probably the same price range, but they go bad on a slighly lower rate as compared to the lancers'. Again i do not/have never owned one, this is what i have been told by two people who have owned both the cars.

Quote:
Its another thing that Honda owners and fans rate Lancer engine as anaemic which infact is one of the smoothest and refined engines to date. I have said this from time to time. And its also another thing that most people only understand that the best performance car is the one that makes more Horses on paper without giving driving dynamics any consideration.
And its yet another thing that some people can go on and on about some cars, and to some extent try and force an opinion onto you.

Quote:
Fuel-efficiency has never fallen below 13kmpl in city with A/c
I NEED A NEW DRIVER, yes i am screaming.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 26th September 2006 at 01:17.
Old 26th September 2006, 01:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
Probably the same price range, but they go bad on a slighly lower rate as compared to the lancers'. Again i do not/have never owned one, this is what i have been told by two people who have owned both the cars.
Check out overdrive's take on both used cars, their parts prices and parts life . Also check out 2000 model lancers and city's and decide which are in better shape. Also remember the life of a vehicle depends on how you drive.

Quote:
And its yet another thing that some people can go on and on about some cars, and to some extent try and force an opinion onto you.
I wouldnt have a mitsubishi logo holding a HOnda logo in my avatar pic even if that would mean getting a free Eclipse Ralliart.LOL
Its fun taking an underdog side, try it. There is much more to lancer than just the looks. Maybe its my ownership experience that's making me go on and on about it.

Quote:
Post an advertisement in the newspaper with your requirement

" NEEDED: A driver who can stretch a litre of fuel to 13kms in a Mitsubishi lancer."

I am not a fan. I am just smitten by my lancer and good ownership experience. Ask me to select between cedia and civic and you will know the answer.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 26th September 2006 at 01:42.
Old 26th September 2006, 02:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check out overdrive's take on both used cars, their parts prices and parts life . Also check out 2000 model lancers and city's and decide which are in better shape.
Overdrive, yeah right!! They even have some highly optimistic fuel eff. figures, hope you haven't derived the 13 kmpl in city with aircon figures from there.
Did have a nice look at old lancers and ohc s a year back, wonder if there have been any changes since then.

Quote:
Also remember the life of a vehicle depends on how you drive.
lets just understand i meant keeping all other parameters but the two cars constant.

Quote:
I wouldnt have a mitsubishi logo holding a HOnda logo in my avatar pic even if that would mean getting a free Eclipse Ralliart.
would make no sense in the Indian context atleast

Quote:
There is much more to lancer than just the looks. Maybe its my ownership experience that's making me go on and on about it.
I strongly agree. i did mention comfort in my earlier post. Add to that better interiors than the ohc, better build quality too. Only to be mated to a high maintenance, 'not as quick as ohc' engine which usually returns about 9-10 kmpl in city with aircon for most people.

Quote:
Post an advertisement in the newspaper with your requirement

" NEEDED: A driver who can stretch a litre of fuel to 13kms in a Mitsubishi lancer." .
would be waste of money if you add 'in city' to that literature. Rather save that money for a guzzling lancer.

manson.
Old 26th September 2006, 03:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out overdrive's take on both used cars, their parts prices and parts life . Also check out 2000 model lancers and city's and decide which are in better shape. Also remember the life of a vehicle depends on how you drive.
Yeah right of all the magazines you have to quote Overdrive! Come on man everyone knows their figures are PURE FICTION. Haven't seen a stupider magazine in the Indian market for more than a decade now.

Quote:
I am not a fan. I am just smitten by my lancer and good ownership experience. Ask me to select between cedia and civic and you will know the answer.
I think that about sums it up. If you can't differentiate between a last generation product and a cutting-edge latest product I really don't have much to say.

I've been watching your posts for a long time Devarshi & seems you are out to promote the Lancer come what may. Agreed it was a decent car but it wasn't THAT good either. Learn to accept that every car has some flaws like the OHC has poor Build Quality & Interiors and there's no denying that. For you to come out saying that even if it's down on performance the engine is the smoothest is just stupid. Yes it might be the smoothest but the point still stands that even the OHC 1.5 is faster than the Lancer leave alone the VTEC.

Horses for courses as they say.

Quote:
I agree with you completely Manson.
Old 26th September 2006, 06:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that about sums it up. If you can't differentiate between a last generation product and a cutting-edge latest product I really don't have much to say.
You need to read my statement again. lemme explain it to you in a layman's language. I am not a Mitsubishi fan and to prove that If you give me a choice between cedia and civic, I will choose Civic. That statement was meant for those who assume. You are one. No pun intended.

Quote:
seems you are out to promote the Lancer come what may
read the last paragraph of post #22. I am speaking of the pros and cons of of both OHC and Lancer. I have not promoted any brand but suggested the buyer to test-drive before buying one. But yes, according to you I am promoting one. I have spoke before about the weak Power windows of Lancer before. I have spoken of lack of steering feel at high speeds on lancer before and I also agree the Nth time that OHC 1.5 and vtec are both faster than lancer. But when you assume things its tough to see other things.

Yes OHC 1.5 is quicker, OHC holds more re-sale, OHC Has more fan following. OHC has a Honda support in India which is better than HM. But these two lines wont even be noticed by your the next time we are posting.

Quote:
the point still stands that even the OHC 1.5 is faster than the Lancer leave alone the VTEC.
For the Nth time I repeat that yes Vtec and 1.5 are both faster than lancer. Go satisfy your ego.

But read the first post. Buyer has chosen City vtec and lancer. Its another thing to let the buyer know that city is quicker and its another thing to pour it down his stomach that city is quicker. Something you think I am doing with lancer. I dont care the hell about the Mitsubishi going into scraps. when he has finalized the two, he probably knows a bit about what he is buying.

Secondly he is looking to mod the car. Tell me which is a better car to mod? look at www.autopsyche.com if OHC's are modified or not.
And please stop assuming things. Any publicity maybe good publicity for celebrities but for common people the same doesnt hold true.

Enough said from my side for the buyer.I am now outta here.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 26th September 2006 at 06:14.
Old 26th September 2006, 08:21   #28
BANNED

Quote:
If you're looking at bodykits, huge wheels, nice comfortable seats: Lancer
If you're looking at a slighlty fast and high revving car, slightly more fuel efficient, resale holding vehicle: Honda City

The 2001 ohc vtec for 5 Lakhs seems really expensive unless they are going to give you some 100 gms of gold with it. 4.5 L (considering used car market down south) is what you should spend on an extremely nice 2001 vtec, and around 4.25 for a 1.5 ohc. These are very much on the higher side.

As pointed out earlier, our man just wants a nice looking and sweet sounding ride, save the evos, aftermarket parts comparisons, etc talk for some other thread

manson.
Guys/Boys/Schoolkids/Uncles,

Please stick to the topic and take your brand wars over the phone or PM route. The baleno boy has gone the honda man has not commented then why are you guys starting a new argument. let him decide what he wants.

Viper
Old 26th September 2006, 08:55   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Guys/Boys/Schoolkids/Uncles,

Please stick to the topic and take your brand wars over the phone or PM route. The baleno boy has gone the honda man has not commented then why are you guys starting a new argument. let him decide what he wants.

Viper
I think atleast 80% of my post is neutral. Probably you just quoted the wrong post.

manson.
Old 26th September 2006, 08:59   #30
BANNED

Quote:
I think atleast 80% of my post is neutral. Probably you just quoted the wrong post.

manson.

Hi,

Not referring to any specific post but the thread in particular.

Viper
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks