Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 11:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore

I wish to share one of the most bitter experience I have ever had with a tuner. I want to clarify that I am not against tuning industry. But my experience with so called reputed tuner in bangalore was horrible. Remap was really bad and I let it go. I gave them benefit of doubt and had posted my experience in another forum. I did not know that forum is literally controlled by them. There is a separate thread in that forum to abuse/make fun of Team-Bhp. Tuner of Code 6, Sajan Thomas started cooking up many stories just to defend his stupidity. I will list down my entire experience with Code 6 and what followed next in social forum. I have Proof of all the conversations.

November 2015

I wanted to remap my Grand I10 diesel. There were no details online about grand i10 with remap. It is a rare sight in any tuners garage. I contacted TOT & Code 6. TOT told me honestly that they have not remapped grand i10 diesel before but it is definitely possible. Code 6 claimed to have remapped one grand i10 before and price quote was lesser. Tuner also claimed power gain post remap would be 100 bhp and 220 NM. I decided to drive all the way to Bangalore (360 KM) for remap.

I drove to Bay 6 workshop around mid November. Remap process was initiated after discussion over the same. Stock map was read using OBD port. Sajan gave me 2 options, 92 bhp & 100 bhp. We decided to go for powerful map and check if car could handle it and reduce if necessary. Sajan made necessary changes to my stock file and also seen him dragging few things from map file of I20 into grand i10 map file which is little suspicious (later found out this is not the way for proper custom remap). New map was flashed via OBD port. Sajan also claimed soft delete of EGR.

We decided to for a drive. I was too excited. I found no difference in first 2 gears. There was only mild increase in 3 rd gear. I was not at all happy. Sajan was also shocked and made few changes in map. He claimed to have lifted few torque limiters. Power gain was still not appreciable and only black smoke was present. He made few more changes and still no use. I was running out of time. So I decided to get back my stock map and remap on different date.

Sajan had told my car has VGT. I did little research and found out it is FGT. It was later confirmed as FGT by RD guys, Hyundai service manager and another reputed tuner. Sajan had told he had increased turbo boost during remap and I should not redline or maintain high speeds for long time. I realised that it is not possible to increase turbo boost of FGT car with remap. A manual boost controller is required. I thought remap went wrong because it was done thinking car has VGT turbo. Turbo boost increase for FGT without ECU control via remap will literally make no difference. I texted about the same to him asking if he can remap my car like how it's done for cars with FGT without ECU control. I got no response from him.

February 2016

I wrote about my remap experience in different forums. I did not blame Code 6 and gave them benefit of doubt. One such forum is literally controlled by them(I did not know it). To my surprise, I was targeted by everyone there for questioning about Code 6. What really hurt me was the stories cooked up by Sajan.

What Sajan did :

1. He claimed that I am very low on money and into blackmailing tuners for free turning strategy.

2. He claimed that many tuners told him about me and I am having fights with team bhp moderators. So he cleverly escaped from me by not responding.

3. He made fun and tried to create bad impression of a customer who had trusted him and drove all the way to bangalore for remap.

4. Later he says in forum that no tuner in India has good remap for grand i10

I am quoting the above stuff he said and if required I can post screenshot.

Quote:
Hm, he is a medical student, and I was trying to be kind by not sharing too many gory details of the encounter. Young age, kids do "adventures" in getting free stuff etc. Raping his reputation online, especially on a platform like ours where stuff does not get deleted is going to haunt him for a long time.

But any way, the kid seems to be absolutely crazy with the stuff he is spinning up, so doubt we need to care about it.

He seems to be very low on money, and did not have cash for even tolls when we went out to test the car. He spooked me by asking for toll money(we were testing the car, and NICE road tolls are high), luckily for him, his friend who was in the car paid, after making some very interesting faces about it. After that incident, it was quite clear that he did not have any money on him.

After I "escaped" from him that day, he tried contacting me, but by then I had heard even more about this guy from team-bhp members(think he was fighting with mods there, he is carrying infractions) and his other tuner encounters, realized he is mostly into the "blackmail" for free tuning strategy, and I never responded to him again.
Fact : I was not even a Team-Bhp member in November 2015 and how could I have fights with moderators? That was really very cheap of him to insult a customer saying he has no money for tolls. I know how much I have spent on cars.

Quote:
I doubt anybody has developed a decent tune for the 1.1L CRDi Hyundai engine in India. I am sure we can easily do that for you, and get it to make good power without smoke, if you have the time and resources for the work on the car.
Fact : Code 6 claimed to have good remap and So I drove to Bangalore. They lied to me saying one car was remapped before mine. If no decent tune is available in India, Why did Sajan not inform me about it before?

Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore-screenshot_20160506113806_com.whatsapp.png

Sajan lied in forum (February 2016) saying he never said grand i10 has VGT. If so, why would I send him a text in November 2015 asking if he can remap my car like how it's done for FGT?

Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore-screenshot_20160506114558_com.whatsapp.png

Now I am running my car with RD tuning box (single channel) and power gain is very much noticeable.

We read only positive things about remap/tuners in all forums. Many choose not to share bad experience. I am not advising anyone not to go for Code 6 or whatever. I am really not interested in any arguments like "My experience was good". After I shared this experience in few forums, I got private message from couple of guys about their bad experience too. I request everyone to share their bad experience too with any tuner/Modifier. I have shared my experience and my message is not to blindly trust any tuner.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th May 2016 at 07:48. Reason: Edited as requested.
Dr.Naren is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:28   #2
BHPian

re: Bad Experience - Code 6 Tuning, Bangalore

Thanks Naren for sharing this,after reading this and the other thread on a messed turbo install it has only made me more determined that stock is the best.Buy a powerful car and enjoy it straight,no hassle and no heartburn.

Its really sad to see tooners taking customers for a royal ride and then having the nerve to defend themselves.
scorpian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Thanks Naren for sharing this,after reading this and the other thread on a messed turbo install it has only made me more determined that stock is the best.Buy a powerful car and enjoy it straight,no hassle and no heartburn.

Its really sad to see tooners taking customers for a royal ride and then having the nerve to defend themselves.
We just need to be careful buddy. As GTO said "Stock horses are stock horses". There are many like me who can't afford powerful car and tend to modify it for that extra horses with calculated risks in mind.
Old 6th May 2016, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The tone of his reply that you posted turned me off him now and forever, also whatever happened to you too.

Secondly, this is not only for you, but for anyone who reads this, the trick is not to run behind BHP/Torque figures but how that is put down on the earth along with drivability of course

Tuning a 1.1 CRDI to produce 100 bhp and 220 NM of torque from the stock 70 bhp and 160 NM itself scares me, if it was that easy, Hyundai would not need a 1.4 CRDI which makes 89 bhp and 220 NM of torque which is 11 bhp lesser than what the tune was going to do to your I10.

In a tune, the aim should be get 'All right' gains in Power/Torque and not make an I10 a Punto Abarth Beater kind of scenario
humyum is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:54   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience Dr. Naren. Really felt sorry that all you efforts went in vein without any fault of yours. And then the pathetic attitude and humiliation! But, good that bitter experiences are being shared too. First a turbo exercise went bad on a baleno - link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...bangalore.html, and now your troubles with remap.

This is the beauty of this forum - you name the topic and there is information on it. Read it, calculate the risk(s) involved, and take your call.
I was planning to take the modification plunge and get my Honda City's performance upgraded. Not anytime sooner now, or maybe never!

Very rightly said by GTO in aforementioned thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
manufacturers are increasingly offering fast stock cars (Polo GTs, S-Cross 1.6, Punto Abarth etc.) at attainable prices. Factory horses are factory horses . If you want some more, simply get a remap from a brand of repute.
For sure, personally, I would prefer to pour in more moolah and buy a faster one right from showroom. If a lakh or two can bring up peace of mind and save the headache of following up xyz bhai for rework/repair/issues and bear their tantrum, I am certainly willing to pay more for the peace of mind!
Zinda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The tone of his reply that you posted turned me off him now and forever, also whatever happened to you too.

Secondly, this is not only for you, but for anyone who reads this, the trick is not to run behind BHP/Torque figures but how that is put down on the earth along with drivability of course

Tuning a 1.1 CRDI to produce 100 bhp and 220 NM of torque from the stock 70 bhp and 160 NM itself scares me, if it was that easy, Hyundai would not need a 1.4 CRDI which makes 89 bhp and 220 NM of torque which is 11 bhp lesser than what the tune was going to do to your I10.

In a tune, the aim should be get 'All right' gains in Power/Torque and not make an I10 a Punto Abarth Beater kind of scenario
I know buddy. I was also bit shocked when he quoted 92-100 bhp. I guess code 6 quote fake high numbers. They had claimed 312 nm torque for elite i20 from stock 220 nm which is really hard to believe.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:59   #7
BHPian

An advice buddy, Even for your upcoming S-Cross, dont try to remap it in a hurry. 1.6 engine is a gem. Enjoy it stock for some time.
AFAIK, Mi10's S-Cross is the only one remapped 1.6 here.
Only after tuners gain their hands-on experience on the new engine, you can try to get it remapped.

Cheers !!
kashyapz8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing, I had actually contacted them on Facebook to enquire about the remap possibilities for jetta, Reading all this is a sure turn off and isn't really very professional.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
What Sajan did :
Wow, his post about you is shocking, such personal attacks, if made on TBHP would have banned him from TBHP. Thanks to mods for maintaining the reputation of the forum.

Naren, thanks for sharing your experience. Looking at the risks involved in the tuning and dealing with such tuners, I am not going to go near them any time. I am happy with the 'plug-any-play' performance boxes or remaps (I too have a RD Dieseltronic box).
Voyager-1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:19   #10
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I had actually contacted them on Facebook to enquire about the remap possibilities for jetta, Reading all this is a sure turn off and isn't really very professional.
I'm quite surprised that you are turning away from Code6 on seeing a single bad experience! There are quite many 'Good Experiences' with Code6 which can be found elsewhere on this forum
Old 6th May 2016, 13:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I'm quite surprised that you are turning away from Code6 on seeing a single bad experience! There are quite many 'Good Experiences' with Code6 which can be found elsewhere on this forum
Even if i am not turning away, This incident would surely be there at the back of my mind after reading it, Getting your car remapped is a risky affair and i would like to go ahead only if i am 100% sure.

And yes i have read the good experiences too.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2016 at 15:32.
pedrolourenco is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th May 2016, 14:40   #13
BANNED

Hey Dr sahab,

Nice to put up the thread and enlightening us if the happenings in the industry. Sad to see how things change and when things do not go as planned.

I guess the Race Concepts thread shared by Mr James have you some confidence to post your experience too. Thank you for posting.

I will go for a stock fast car rather than remapping or adding tuning boxes. Manufacturers know the car more than tuning house engineer.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyapz8055 View Post
An advice buddy, Even for your upcoming S-Cross, dont try to remap it in a hurry. 1.6 engine is a gem. Enjoy it stock for some time.
AFAIK, Mi10's S-Cross is the only one remapped 1.6 here.
Only after tuners gain their hands-on experience on the new engine, you can try to get it remapped.

Cheers !!
Sure buddy!
I have postponed my plans to remap 1.6. After several test drives, I am in love with stock 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
As I said before, people tend to share their happy experience. Only few come out and share bad experience. More than the quality of remap on my car, I am saddened by their attitude.

It is common to see more of good experience in any forum. Anyways I am not claiming remap by code 6 in general is bad. I am only talking about my experience in Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey Dr sahab,

Nice to put up the thread and enlightening us if the happenings in the industry. Sad to see how things change and when things do not go as planned.

I guess the Race Concepts thread shared by Mr James have you some confidence to post your experience too. Thank you for posting.

I will go for a stock fast car rather than remapping or adding tuning boxes. Manufacturers know the car more than tuning house engineer.
I understand buddy. Our Indian automotive scene has hardly any powerful cars at VFM price. Anyways the trend is slowly changing.
Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2016 at 15:33. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 6th May 2016, 15:13   #15
BHPian

At the outset, let me place on record that I am a satisfied customer of Code 6. Now that we have got that out of the way, I would really want to know the tuner's version of this fracas. Everything has 2 sides, eh?
batterylow is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks