Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2004, 23:23   #1

We all know the use of a wing(to get downforce on the car so that it increases the levels of grip available) .Well in drag racing u dont need a wing cause the wing will work against the wind.Additionally it will be the cause of unnecessary weight causing the car to bog down. Result= slower car

Here's one guy who got it completely wrong .....

Iceman
Old 31st March 2004, 23:46   #2
BHPian

most of the people use spoilers for look
Old 1st April 2004, 04:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Iceman,

Actually spoilers are useful in drag races...
Well, if you look at this car i agree that it is not serving much of a purpose.....but then this car doesnt really seem to have been set up for a drag (ie quite a few other add-ons causing drag)

However, depending on the cars natural aerodynamics a spoiler may be a huge help, for a couple of reasons, sometimes the rear of the car seems uneasy at high speeds - and a good spoiler would help that. And also to put more weight on the rear wheels on a RWD car.
I agree with you that having a light car is essential, but you also need enough downforce on the driven wheels to be able to exert a large amount of power without them just spinning up.

Ofcourse...it depends on which car it is..and i tend to agree with you on this city...

cheers
Rehaan
Old 1st April 2004, 04:12   #4
Sam
BHPian

Lovely colour scheme tho!!
Old 1st April 2004, 04:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Have you noticed that the rear taillight has a black "S" like superman..except tapering the other way?

However one cool thing about this car is the guages outside the windshield... check it out in GTO's pics (last pic on the page) >
http://community.webshots.com/album/130044042oOIHIz

cya
Rehaan
Old 1st April 2004, 12:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very funny colour scheme infact

Cheers
Old 1st April 2004, 14:52   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Bro,

You are right, on this particular Honda city it is absolutely pointless to dragrace with a wing...only additional weight. Butttttttttttttt like Rehaan rightly said, there are some dragsters which badly need it (only the pro category), without which they will fly off!

GTO
Old 1st April 2004, 16:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well this City certainly wasnt from the pro category

Looked more like the green goblin

Cheers
Old 1st April 2004, 17:38   #9
BHPian

Man these guys when will they learn *the spoiler in the pic must be really heavy ths one guy has about three spoilers one over the other can u*belive that and he drives that car like it is the Bomb man one of my guys smoked him ,I thought that car was going to take off like some plane o spaceship man one stupid car with a lot of ferrari stickers laugh:
Old 2nd April 2004, 12:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Here is my theories on spoilers on cars.
Technically F1 cars have wings not spoilers. Good designed spoilers will evtually reduce drag and the uplift of the car. Which also can improve about 1% in fuel consumption only on freeways that is .

Now a spoiler has been designed to create downforce... But in our indian car we rarely hit high speeds in a drag race ... and here comes the funny part , the object (car) with a spoiler should be traveling at more than 174kph for the spoiler to work... at speeds below this the air is just not fast to actually make to spoiler work. Well thats my thory... On indian cars??? a waste... but for looks ... why not ?? (ofcourse u get added weight with it )

Even most of the supercars in world dont have spoilers, SL55 AMG for example, even most of the porsche line. The new GT has a spoiler hidden and will open up when the car has reached a certain speed, thus not creating a drag at low speeds. So a spoiler can actually hurt performance creating a drag at low speeds.

Cheers
Dom
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey,

My opinion on spoilers is simple, they are good if they are being utilized correctly and have been designed and constructed correctly.

Heres an interesting article with some technical specs on spoilers for old camaros...
its a .pdf file so you will need acrobat reader...and be patient coz the article is 500kb.
http://www.yearone.com/enthusi....aro.pdf

cheers
Rehaan
Old 14th April 2004, 22:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

My theory is, if you want to get your FWD car going faster than it usually does you should first fit broader wheels up front.

Launching a car is all about traction, the more the traction to the driving wheels the faster the car will take off.

And 2ndly fitting a rear aerofoil on a FWD car is absolutely crazy unless the car exhibits oversteer which is very rare in FWD cars.

One thing i've noticed is that fancy cars don't always deliver.

Even the smallest of mods can make a great deal of difference in it's performance.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 15th April 2004, 00:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ April 14 2004,21:05)]And 2ndly fitting a rear aerofoil on a FWD car is absolutely crazy unless the car exhibits oversteer which is very rare in FWD cars.
Hey Shan2nu,

Aerofoil / airfoil is the term mostly used for wings that provide lift!! *

I definitely wouldn't say a rear spoiler on a FWD car is useless. At high speeds cars tend to lift, and the rear spoiler would help keep some pressure on the rear which is very neccessary for a multitude of reasons.

cheers
Rehaan.
Old 15th April 2004, 01:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ April 15 2004,09:07)]At high speeds cars tend to lift, and the rear spoiler would help keep some pressure on the rear which is very neccessary for a multitude of reasons.
What sort of speeds are we talking here and are the Indian cars capable of such speeds especially on a drag strip?

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 15th April 2004, 01:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shan2nu,

speeds...well id say there might be a noticeable difference over 100km/h, and increasingly as you go faster.

cya
Rehaan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks