Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 11:53   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
In case the rubber hoses or wiring harness needs inspection can this tape be re-used after removing it?
I doubt it as the adhesive is rather weak. But why would you need to inspect pipes or harnesses anyway? In the cars of today, they have a minimum 8 - 10 year life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Nice! Guess a liberal coat of pepper spray too should have a similar effect for short periods at least.
The problem with pepper spray is that it will enter your cabin (through holes, the HVAC system etc.). That'll lead to an uncomfortable situation. Plus, you'll have to keep spraying it at regular intervals.

With the tape, it's good for a couple of years and doesn't smell at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Actually when you take for 5yrs warranty from 3M, they have 6 months checkup, we may request for lite single coat for free
No one will do anything for free, especially at regular intervals.

Quote:
Just like we take car for regular service, we may need to schedule this every 30-40days once to get this done.
That's quite inconvenient!

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2016 at 15:02.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:00   #17
BHPian

Thanks GTO. People who are not affected by this may laugh but rat infection in cars is a real thing. My VW polo has proved to be rat magnet in monsoon. I don't know the reasons why they love my car so much. Ma be in monsoon it gives them a perfect shelter. If the engine is warm then they love it even more. When I hear their squeaks in coming out from the car it just scares the hell out me. I tried every possible thing but to no avail. They seem to particularly like the wiring of side parking lights. Although so far no major damage is done, the rat droppings in the engine bay smells like hell. Will get this tape ASAP. By the way, love that spiky border'...
Mithrandir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

C'mon, spill the beans - were you not tempted to even test it/taste it? Just to see whether what might be 'zapping' for a US rat might be palatable for an Indian rat that has no doubt fed on various local spices!
Ha ha ha !, Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big shoutout to Johannskaria for sharing this product in this post !
]
That is a very nice option!. Wish it were available in India. I did not know that the car manufacturers use bio-degradable materials for piping and hosing in vehicles.
I like your other measures as well, like the fencing and rat spray. Although it looks kinda funny, I am sure it is not funny, when those blimin' rats chew away thousands worth of stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 19:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@GTO congrats, I hope your rat issue is resolved. I want add something here:

Since last 2 months Rats have been a big menace in our apartment, they have chewed almost everyone's car except mine.

Actually I did nothing, but I noticed why they didn't attack my cars, my both cars are new and I recently did 3M under chassis treatment and you know that smell underneath, the rubbery chemical is too rough and when inhaled you can choke, I think it's because of this Rats are keeping distance. If something like this is coated once / twice a month, the Rats may not enter the cars.
Hey, your post just gave me an idea. Although I m not sure if it will work or not. Since rats enter the engine bay and feast on the wires and rest in the gaps what we can do is make a metal box of say 1x1 feet and spray underbody coat chemical on it and slide it under the engine bay whenever you park your car. This will deter the rats from coming and once we feel the odour of the chemical is not strong we can get it coated for few hundred bucks.
Just my two cents.
Akib Khan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 20:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

One question; Can and will companies like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Skoda/VW/Audi etc. use this as an excuse to void your warranty?
Old 8th October 2016, 11:21   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
People who are not affected by this may laugh but rat infection in cars is a real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Although it looks kinda funny, I am sure it is not funny, when those blimin' rats chew away thousands worth of stuff.
Seriously! It can greatly affect the reliability + safety of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Since rats enter the engine bay and feast on the wires and rest in the gaps what we can do is make a metal box of say 1x1 feet and spray underbody coat chemical on it and slide it under the engine bay whenever you park your car.
Hahaha! We just have to think out of the 'box' eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
One question; Can and will companies like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Skoda/VW/Audi etc. use this as an excuse to void your warranty?
No chance, because you aren't altering anything at all. In fact, the BMW dealer readily helped me with applying it in the hard-to-reach areas.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously! It can greatly affect the reliability + safety of the car
I know of an Innova Petrol that was sans its ecm wiring after a rat attack.

It was quite painstaking to establish continuity by matching wire bits on the ecm coupler and the wiring harness - took 2 full days.

"Choohaaa" !!!!!!
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 12:31   #23
BHPian

I just keep a piece of the Mortein rat-kill cake under the driver's seat and behind the front suspension struts inside the bonnet of each car. That way if rats do attack they would go for this yummy (for them) but lethal piece of cake rather than the wiring.
dr_anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 13:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
This item does not ship to Chennai, India.
... I hate this! Not to sidetrack this thread into a rant, but global economy hahaha .

Sometimes shipping costs make an item not viable to buy from abroad, but with this one, assuming that the shipping was not extortionate (and why would it be? A roll of tape: drop it in a padded envelope) I'd just go ahead and buy it. With just one rat attack potentially costing Rs.thousands (or ten times: I cannot imagine the cost of wiring loom for a BMW!) it would be well worth it.

If only...

a) Honda made this available in India, and,
b) India had the "spares, sir? the counter is over there" culture that I was used to in UK.

And anyway, this is hardly an obscure engine part: it should be available from auto accessory shops!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th October 2016 at 13:33.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 16:26   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
I just keep a piece of the Mortein rat-kill cake under the driver's seat and behind the front suspension struts inside the bonnet of each car.
The cake would kill the rat, but it wouldn't stop him from damaging your wiring (while he's still alive). The cake isn't a repellent. What's the point of killing a rat after he's already eaten your wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but with this one, assuming that the shipping was not extortionate (and why would it be? A roll of tape: drop it in a padded envelope) I'd just go ahead and buy it.
Agreed. Hopefully, another seller (Amazon has multiple) is willing to ship it to India. If you really want the tape, message all of them.

Quote:
Honda made this available in India
I don't know why manufacturers put the onus on us. Rat attacks are a serious problem in India (and other countries), more than adulterated fuel. Why can't they just make their cars rat-proof? Should be damn easy to cover / protect all wires & pipes from the factory, or use a material that rats hate.

Thad, Honda's Indian dealerships are recommending a repellent spray though. Read it on some other threads. BHPians have also spoken highly of the spray that I've linked to in the opening post. Try that out.
Old 9th October 2016, 16:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

To those who think that the underbody coating smell might help in repelling the rats, it is most likely the solvent for the rubber that is giving off the smell. Try and find out the solvent by researching online and looking for the MSDS sheets. Buy the solvent from the local chemical market such as Dawa Bazaar/Princess Street in Mumbai and then you can spray it around the car at night or soak a sponge with it and keep under the car. While Im sure the solvent would be safe for car parts, I dont think you should spray it on regularly.
My cars are still protected by their natural predators fortunately, IMO cats are the best rodent repellant
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 22:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
. Buy the solvent from the local chemical market such as Dawa Bazaar/Princess Street in Mumbai and then you can spray it around the car at night or soak a sponge with it and keep under the car.
Solents of that kind tend to be inflammable

Quote:
My cars are still protected by their natural predators fortunately, IMO cats are the best rodent repellant
I think that one is still working for me, plus, I leave the light on in the parking area.

I should check out the Honda-recommended spray, though.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 13:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The cake would kill the rat, but it wouldn't stop him from damaging your wiring (while he's still alive). The cake isn't a repellent. What's the point of killing a rat after he's already eaten your wiring?

Fortunately I have had no rat attacks so far, however my brother's car was saved from an attack when he found the dead rodent under his car after it had bitten off a part of the cake kept under the bonnet. The idea being that the cake is far more attractive to rats than your car's wiring. They would go for it first.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th October 2016 at 17:06. Reason: fixing the quote tags. thanks.
dr_anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 19:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
No one will do anything for free, especially at regular intervals.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Today i opened my Ecosport Bonnet and found 2 droppings and there were some hard white material, i guess the rat is trying to bring-in something, i asked my security guard to remove all that and clean, i took it to 3M hoping they will re-apply the under chassis coating, but they refused and asked me to pay the same cost again, it was pointless talking to them.

I found this on medical shop, i have to see if i can temporary block them until i get those tapes from amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hey, your post just gave me an idea. Although I m not sure if it will work or not. Since rats enter the engine bay and feast on the wires and rest in the gaps what we can do is make a metal box of say 1x1 feet and spray underbody coat chemical on it and slide it under the engine bay whenever you park your car. This will deter the rats from coming and once we feel the odour of the chemical is not strong we can get it coated for few hundred bucks.
Just my two cents.
This is a good idea, i have applied one today, let me see how effective it is in repelling these rodents, i will keep you updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents-img_20161010_185850.jpg  

johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 15:55   #30
RGK
Senior - BHPian

GTO, By any chance, did your car go for an engine wash after this wrap?

An automobile shop owner advised to try this - To fit a small LED bulb strip inside the engine bay and switch it on during the night time.

Last edited by RGK : 11th October 2016 at 16:08.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks