Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2004, 14:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yea Dude Sure,
The Head Gasket is a very essential part of the cars. Its what makes the seal between the bottom half and the cylinder head. Its a Thin (from .3 to 1mm thick racing gaskets go as far as .05 or .08) sheet of either Stainless Steel with a coating to seal the two sides. A maruti head gasket is made of a cork type material. So when you open your cylinder head the gasket would have literally become a part of the head and tears while removing. So this will need Replacement. Maruti 800 Head gaskets are the cheapest gaskets available in the market only 40Rs. Accords have gaskets costing 5000Rs upwards .

Head Facing is when the part of the cylinder head facing the engine gets faced (material is removed). Engine rebuilding shops will have this machine and will know what im talking about. For some good power you can shave upto 1mm of the head... But stick to around .70. If you want to experiment no probs. Coz 1mm shavng will automatically advance camshaft timing which you will have to retard.

Porting and Polishing: Your cylinder has ports which carry in fresh fuel mixed air into the cylinders and after combustion exits through exhaust ports. What we mean by porting is... Most of the cyl heads made by companies are made out of casting which leaves impurities in design and a few deign flaws. What we do is enlarge the ports and port match to the gaskets on the intake or the exhaust. The passage will be opened more not only to carry more cc of air, but in a certian angale which helps more air go into the cylinders. Same principle to the exhaust. After porting polish the Intake ports using a 100 grit buff. And the exhaust polish it to a 400 grit finish. It should have a mirror finish, so the carbon doesnt stick to the ports!. This if done in a correct manner does improve power considerably!.

Header: What i mean by 3-1 is, you surely will know whats a header so in a tube design for an 800 ive seen the 3-1 design giving good torque and power. This is where three pipes(3cyl) joins at a certian point. 1.25" primaries, by that i mean for the pipes emerging from the cylinder head use 1.25" dia pipes, make the length of these pipes atleast 17" long then merge all three pipes into one. After this use a 1.5" pipe after merging for as long as about 24" then have your muffler placed here. Then its left to you if you want to reduce the sound more by adding another box at the end.

Hope this answers your doubts.

Cheers
Dom
Old 20th April 2004, 06:21   #17
BHPian

Domnic,

THanks Dude, I had a practical session yesterday with the workstation manager where i get my car done, he was kind enough to show me how porting and polishing is done and the air exhaust stuff also, also discussed with the automech guys how it works and what they gonna be using. They have a design which takes care of initial and later stages of pickup, giveing a good perfomance throughout.

The workstation manager won the Drag racer in Mumbai 800 category, with simple modifications like the exhaust and the air intake system of polishing and porting. He says it will be more than enough if i get these two things done.

Thanks a lot for the explaination.

Regd
Kakx
Old 20th April 2004, 10:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (kakx @ April 20 2004,04:51)]The workstation manager won the Drag racer in Mumbai 800 category, with simple modifications like the exhaust and the air intake system of polishing and porting.
cool......thats good info!

great info from u too dom ;-] ..didnt know accord gaskets costed 5k!!...they ARE reuseable though, right?

cya
R
Old 12th May 2004, 15:02   #19
BHPian

Hey Domnic - from ur posts i get it that u r based in bangalore.
do u do car mods as a business? wheres ur garage? can u also do engine swaps? i have a friend who is looking for a skyline engine.
Old 22nd May 2004, 12:07   #20
BHPian

Dom & everybody,

Am not to happy with the Brk boosters now, initially they were amazing, not any more(though better than the brks u get with the 5 speed car). SO to improve the breaking perfomance i am planning on getting Vents done and also somebody told me somthing abt nipper setting, what is nipper setting???

I also plan to replace brk pads with that on ZEN, What do u think......

Thanks.

regds
Kakx
Old 23rd May 2004, 03:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply have been busy lately.
Rehaan no the gasket cannot be reused, has (HAS) to be changed everytime you open the cylinder head. Even lancers HG is costly, about 4k here. Pick up an imported Steel one from malaysia for about 2k.

kakx breaking is really poor in ur car. Try cross drilling or make grooves on the rotor. But remember breaking will be good but you will have to change your brake pads every 500km . Else try the french made metal pads. Which hold better. Let me know

Cheers
DOm
Old 28th May 2004, 22:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (kakx @ April 17 2004,18:40)]Hi

I mailed the K&N ppl , they dont make it for M800

What other option do i have.

regds
praful
Hi.
K&N is available for M800.
I'm putting one for my '84 800.
The cost they say is 3490/-. They're the main source in India.
Cheers
Old 25th June 2004, 20:38   #23

Hi guys ! there seems to be a lot of interesting reading here .. I drive a '98 carburetted zen ... and i guess the 60k on the odo has taken a little bit of the whiz out ! what I'm essentially lookin' at is approx. 15k .. and as much juice back in the mill as i can ... now .. having gone through all thats been said above ..i'm pretty aware of the options .. but i'm still a text book maniac i.e. can anybody tell me how to spend that 15k wisely .. in a nutshell ..get the most bang for the buck ? also .. where in mumbai can i get this kind of a bang job done ?
Old 26th June 2004, 00:49   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Overload. Shoot down to Automech exhausts. There are some great reviews & opinions on the Automech thread

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks