Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 15:44   #1
BHPian

After-market Puddle Lamps?

I am a proud owner of a Maruti Swift Petrol 2013 and there is still so much I want to try on it. For quite some time now, I have been pretty amused with the puddle lamps on my friend's Superb.

I was wondering if it was possible to have an LED SMD installed in the ORVMs on my Swift and somehow have it connected to the cabin light module ? That ways, whenever I unlock the car, it lights up both the cabin light and the puddle lamps ?

I'm not sure about how this would affect the fuse box, batteries or the warranty. If anybody would like to help me with this DIY or maybe has done it before, I'd really appreciate any guidance before I start to pull things apart.

Deepesh
DeepeshKarnik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 17:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: After-market Puddle Lamps?

Yes. It's very much doable, a DIY project. I've done it in my WagonR. Money spent was somewhere around 1500INR with everything procured from eBay . See this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3712564

Last edited by BoneCollector : 8th March 2017 at 17:58.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 18:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti also has logo projector listed under its MGA. It is also sufficiently bright and can function as a puddle lamp IMO.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-capture.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 05:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yes. It's very much doable, a DIY project. I've done it in my WagonR. Money spent was somewhere around 1500INR with everything procured from eBay . See this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3712564

Thank you for that morale boost !! It was much needed !!

I went through your DIYs and the car and lights look amazing. For a change, I'm wanting to have the Cob LEDs fixed under the ORVMs instead of the door panels. I somehow find it more catchy.

What is your take on that ? Would you be able to guide me on the wiring and it's path through the doors to the power source ?
Old 9th March 2017, 09:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
...I was wondering if it was possible to have an LED SMD installed in the ORVMs on my Swift and somehow have it connected to the cabin light module ? That ways, whenever I unlock the car, it lights up both the cabin light and the puddle lamps ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti also has logo projector listed under its MGA. It is also sufficiently bright and can function as a puddle lamp IMO....
That's a ghost light and am sure you know it. My understanding is that a puddle lamp help to see the space around the car when you walk upto it (in the dark). The ghost light will activate only when the door is opened and can only add a bit of style quotient to it.

May be, adding a LED strip under the ORVM on either sides and wiring it to the cabin lamp would be a lot more functional.

Edit:: Didn't read the OP's post properly and the approach is good. I did wire this the cabin lamp to some under seat neon tubes and the wire was tapped. Am sure it's possible, but mine was done in a garage and the approach definitely did void warranty as the cabin lamp wire was tapped directly without using any fuses etc.

Edit 2 :: If there is a way MA$$ taps the wires for the ghost light, am sure it can be extended to the lights under ORVM as well. I had got an ORVM indicator cover done by the MASS and they were fuss free - I'd anyday prefer a MA$$ to do my electrical stuff than a garagae (or DIY owing to my limited skills).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th March 2017 at 09:44.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 14:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: After-market Puddle Lamps?

Quote:
Thank you for that morale boost !! It was much needed !!

I went through your DIYs and the car and lights look amazing. For a change, I'm wanting to have the Cob LEDs fixed under the ORVMs instead of the door panels. I somehow find it more catchy.

What is your take on that ? Would you be able to guide me on the wiring and it's path through the doors to the power source ?
The Cob LEDs can be fixed under the ORVMs, only issues would be damage due to rains/dust or damage done by someone. These lights are very helpful especially when you drive down to a dark place. Ya, they are not that helpful when I approach the car at night but all the lights do illuminate the outside although a little bit. You cannot receive a PM till you're a newbie. I'll share the details here itself. WagonR has 2 dome lights, one in front, another at back. The wires for the front lights are connected to the dome light in front and those of rear to that of rear. Wires were routed through the inner side of roof lining and the through the rubber beading of the doors. Thereafter I took help of MASS to remove the door pads and route the wires from inside. Sorry, I don't have images to help you understand better.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th March 2017 at 14:13.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The Cob LEDs can be fixed under the ORVMs, only issues would be damage due to rains/dust or damage done by someone. These lights are very helpful especially when you drive down to a dark place. Ya, they are not that helpful when I approach the car at night but all the lights do illuminate the outside although a little bit. You cannot receive a PM till you're a newbie. I'll share the details here itself. WagonR has 2 dome lights, one in front, another at back. The wires for the front lights are connected to the dome light in front and those of rear to that of rear. Wires were routed through the inner side of roof lining and the through the rubber beading of the doors. Thereafter I took help of MASS to remove the door pads and route the wires from inside. Sorry, I don't have images to help you understand better.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. My swift has just one light in the centre of the roof, so I think i'll have to route everything from there. This is exactly what I am looking to do to my swift's ORVMs.
After-market Puddle Lamps?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1489062945.953485.jpg

Now what I was thinking was maybe take off the ORVM cover, n cut out the bit where I want to install the cob. That ways everything would be in level and nothing would stick out. I am hoping that ways kids in my block would not fiddle with it either.

Another major area of concern is the wiring. Do I just slit the wires of the cabin light, connect the ORVM wires and then extend them to both the ORVMs or does it work some other way ?
Old 9th March 2017, 18:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another major area of concern is the wiring. Do I just slit the wires of the cabin light, connect the ORVM wires and then extend them to both the ORVMs or does it work some other way ?
No no. You don't have to cut any wire anywhere. I've taken the connection from the both ends of the bulb connector. I don't have the snap right now, will share once I take it tomorrow. My wiring is very very crude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti also has logo projector listed under its MGA. It is also sufficiently bright and can function as a puddle lamp IMO.

Attachment 1616641
I doubt these logo projectors will spread light for the intended use.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th March 2017 at 19:00.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 19:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting fascinated by this discussion. I think my car, a Civic, is a good candidate for installing puddle lamps. This is because when I unlock the car by remote from a distance, the cabin lights and courtesy lights are switched on automatically. So, if I tap the line from the cabin light, the puddle lamp will glow; without opening the door of the car fulfilling the purpose.

Ideally I would want the lights to be under the OVRM, but since the car has electronics inside the mirrors, I am thinking as to how to go about it. Any ideas gentlemen?

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 23:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do I just slit the wires of the cabin light, connect the ORVM wires and then extend them to both the ORVMs or does it work some other way ?
NO
You can tap the lines without damaging the OE harness. I installed footwell lamps on my friend's Swift without splicing the wires, let me look for the wiring snaps tomorrow and post them.

Quote:
I doubt these logo projectors will spread light for the intended use.
Light spread is decent, but the intention will not be solved as the ghost lamp if fixed beneath the door and doors need to be opened to get the light, whereas the puddle lamp fixed under the ORVM solves the purpose without opening the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Ideally I would want the lights to be under the OVRM, but since the car has electronics inside the mirrors, I am thinking as to how to go about it. Any ideas gentlemen?
There should be sufficient space left inside the ORVM cover to accommodate LED and required wiring, have a look after removing the cover.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 00:15   #11

Quote:

Quote:
No no. You don't have to cut any wire anywhere. I've taken the connection from the both ends of the bulb connector. I don't have the snap right now, will share once I take it tomorrow. My wiring is very very crude.
One question I have:
If you were to turn on the cabin lights to search for something inside the car or for any other reason, wouldn't the puddle lamps turn on too?

How could puddle lamps be installed to avoid this situation?
Paradox p100d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 08:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox p100d View Post
If you were to turn on the cabin lights to search for something inside the car or for any other reason, wouldn't the puddle lamps turn on too?
Give the connections to the puddle lamps in such a way that they function ONLY when the doors are opened or the car is locked/unlocked.

Use the 'Door' button connection line to power the puddle lamps.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 09:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If its possible for you to open up the mirror assembly completely, then you might be able to find space to route two thin wires and a small but powerful SMD led which will sit inside the mirror. To expose this LED, a small hole(5-6mm) needs to be drilled in the bottom of the mirror. That will give you a completely concealed and OE finish puddle lamp The wires can be routed just along the mirror control wires into the cabin and powered from where you find it to be suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox p100d View Post
One question I have:

How could puddle lamps be installed to avoid this situation?
Unfortunately yes, there are compromises. But if you want a simple wiring job, this is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Use the 'Door' button connection line to power the puddle lamps.
Can you shed more light on this?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 09:46   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Can you shed more light on this?
You can see the LED Footwell lighting thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-lighting.html). That has the connections made that activates the Footwell lights ONLY when the door is opened, car is locked or unlocked.

After-market Puddle Lamps?-1.-cabin-light.jpg

I have connected the lighting in a such a way they work when the switch is on "Door".

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th March 2017 at 09:47.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 15:15   #15
Deo
BHPian

I have got this done in my Swift as well. I had asked the guy (at FNG) to route the connection from central reading lamp via A-pillar to foot-well. He has done a pretty neat job since everything is concealed and no wire is visible. All I had to do was buy the LEDs (warm white to match the central lamp) and connect to the terminals in foot-well. It works when the switch is on "Door" mode.
May be same method can be used for puddle lamp in wing-mirror, by routing the wires from A-pillar to wing-mirrors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks