Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 17:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Smart Glass India - Film that becomes transparent / opaque at the touch of a button

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Just my two bits: it seems like a good idea for multiple uses - but not for Car Windows!
Maybe - just maybe - if somebody can use the 'auto dimming' logic and get the car manufacturers to 'replace' their factory fitted glasses, then .. maybe this might click. Of course, the cost factor will remain.
Girish Mahajan
Mahajan - The functionality of electronically 'auto dimming' is present in Boeing 787 Dreamliner. All windows of 787 have this functionality and it replaces the age old manual window shades. Its absolutely awesome and has around 5 to 6 levels - from transparent to almost dark. Last time when I traveled to US in a 787 Dreamliner, I was wondering if car manufacturers can incorporate a similar technique for car windows

Thanks,
Vijay
vijjuvk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 18:26   #17
BHPian

Re: Smart Glass India - Film that becomes transparent / opaque at the touch of a button

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post
Mahajan - The functionality of electronically 'auto dimming' is present in Boeing 787 Dreamliner. All windows of 787 have this functionality and it replaces the age old manual window shades. Its absolutely awesome and has around 5 to 6 levels - from transparent to almost dark. Last time when I traveled to US in a 787 Dreamliner, I was wondering if car manufacturers can incorporate a similar technique for car windows

Thanks,
Vijay
Dear Vijay,

I shall look forward to seeing it - some day. Thanks for the update.

Any idea if anyone is trying to make it in India or China?

Girish Mahajan
Old 15th May 2017, 18:27   #18
BHPian

Can manufacturers think of photochromatic glass which are so prevalent in spectacles? It serves the purpose of clear night visibility and during day time, it will turn a bit black to protect from sunlight.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2017 at 10:17. Reason: Typos
Slowjet is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th May 2017, 18:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm sure that cops would create a hassle. I remember cops in Mumbai checking our Liva 1.5L test car, even though it had no tints at all. When asked why, the cop said "we're checking if you have installed transparent film as even that isn't allowed" (while running his hands on the inside of the window).

Do Cops also stop Cars for the 3M Automotive Window Film?

Note- A bit off topic, but since this comment came up here I wanted to confirm.

Last edited by aghate : 15th May 2017 at 18:48.
Old 15th May 2017, 19:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Do Cops also stop Cars for the 3M Automotive Window Film?
@aghate: Any and every film 3M or otherwise is banned. The cops were on hyperactive duty when the Supreme Court came out with the ruling, but I see a lot of newer cars (based on their Registration series) that have gone ahead and put films on their windows / rear glass. Maybe they are taking a chance with the cops not being so stringent as they were before.
GJ01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:22   #21
BHPian

The technology that should/must make its way into window tinting for cars is the one on the Boeing Dreamliner. If anyone of you is going to fly Qatar Airways on a Dreamliner, then this technology is available to test.

Essentially, the Dreamliner does away with traditional window shades and allows the passenger to control the tint on the window using a button on the seat. You can set your window to be 100% transparent (as is needed during take off and landing) or 100% tinted when you fly during the day and have the sun peeking through your window.

I'd imagine that this is going to be expensive to implement in cars, but given that this technology is available, I am equally surprised no one has tried it.

EDIT - Just saw posts from vijjuvk and sandeepmdas that talk about this feature on Dreamliners

Last edited by iceman7 : 15th May 2017 at 19:26. Reason: Added comment
iceman7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 23:07   #22
BHPian

We had this in my previous company, way back in 2005, where a meeting room was sandwiched between two operations center. Both sides of the meeting room had 2 big windows each. Whenever there used to be a client meeting and if required for the clients to have a sneak peek into the operations center they used to turn it transparent, else it will remain white/opaque and we used to play with it whenever we used the meeting room. This was indeed quite a scifi concept back then. But if you ask me, this is not ideal for cars and indeed seems to be having more cons than pros. Personally I would never go for this on my car, may be can try this for home windows to cut heat.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 00:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
....Essentially, the Dreamliner does away with traditional window shades and allows the passenger to control the tint on the window using a button on the seat. You can set your window to be 100% transparent (as is needed during take off and landing) or 100% tinted when you fly during the day and have the sun peeking through your window..

EDIT - Just saw posts from vijjuvk and sandeepmdas that talk about this feature on Dreamliners

Smart Glass India - Film that becomes transparent / opaque at the touch of a button-imageuploadedbyteambhp1494876201.727461.jpg
Here is a picture that I clicked on an AI dreamliner flight , showing the tint in action.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th May 2017 at 09:31. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 10:21   #24
BHPian

A film that is default opaque and needs an electric current to remain transparent.
That is a major safety risk, and an invitation for Murphy's law to strike.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:51   #25
BHPian

Though the technology has been around for some while, it does look so cool when activated in a car.

I used to see this in a microscope lab which used this on their window to make it easy on our eyes when observing through eye piece.

It will be heart breaking to see Traffic cops tear and pull it away using my own car key as they will deem this as violation.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 11:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
And some cons:

• Expensive. Filming 4 windows would cost around Rs. 1 lakh!

That puts it in cars at least upwards of INR 5million. That said, like the idea of having instant privacy in traffic signals with a million people trying to harass you.

A similar thing was available for glass for internal partitions for buildings in the UK some 10-12 years ago. The architect had all rooms of his house with this glass on one wall.

Another concern is the traffic police 'uninstalling' the film when they stop you!

Last edited by Mafia : 16th May 2017 at 11:52.
Old 16th May 2017, 13:27   #27
BHPian

I'm not sure if we could call it "Smart" glass as yet. Would call it smart if it had,

1. As GTO mentioned, if there was variable dimming between transparent -> grey -> black
2. Electronic module which controls the transparency depending on the outside temperature but with manual over ride
3. Speed sensing so that the shade goes from opaque (or which ever shade it is in) to transparent when the car slows down (at signals/junctions/getting into parking etc.)

A little out of topic, my dad's spectacles has this feature where in it changes its shade depending on the temperature keeping his eye's cool. So always wondered why didn't the manufactures apply same technology to auto industry.
Old 16th May 2017, 19:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
So always wondered why didn't the manufactures apply same technology to auto industry.
Dear T-Bone,

Apparent reasons to this are:

1. Cost. You know, with just front windshield featuring a similar technology will drastically shoot up the price of the car. Considering the entire set will make this difference of the order of lacs. Ever wondered, how many manufacturers are even willing to promote the already available heat absorbing front windshields and UV-cut glasses available that too in a tropical weather country like ours with an add on hon'ble Supreme Court orders putting a ban on tinting of any sort?

2. RTO / Motor Vehicle Act, which have their guidelines pertinent to clear visibility.

Thanks,
Simmi
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 19:34   #29
BHPian

This technology has been around for quite while. First time I saw it was in a driver-less light rapid transport (LRT) trains in Singapore almost 15 years back. Some of the LRT tracks snake around high rise residential apartments and sometimes the tracks are pretty close to the apartment windows. I guess the residents would have complained at the time about privacy and all.
So what do they do, install such a glass in the metro trains. Whenever the train passes by a residential apartment, the trigger is activated and the window glasses of the train becomes opaque. Found it pretty cool then!!!
Old 18th May 2017, 09:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

It would be more economical to use the 3M's windshield film all around, if heat is the problem. These reduce the heat significantly, and can sneak under the nose of a cop too! I have one installed in my car for the last 4 years.

I still do miss the looks, that only a dark sun film could offer... But this expensive hack still doesn't provide that! it in fact makes the car look funny with those white opaque sheets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks