Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2004, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Hi,

I have been reading this forum from quite a while but this is my first post here.

Well I'm thinking of buying a skoda Octavia 1.9TDi for myself but had a few questions about it.

1.Has anyone chipped their cars for performance increase?, as I'm quite disappointed with the current specs to a certain extent but I'm sure it can do better.

Here are some links;
http://www.dieselchiptuning.com/cata...t.php?cPath=46

http://www.briskoda.com

2.I also wanted to know what is the offset of the wheels for Skoda as I'm plaing to install 17" inch wheels and don’t know the offset also the dealers are uneducated about them(what offset is the look on their face)

Thanks,
Satyam.

PS: When is the new Skoda Octavia going to lauched in India if its going to be the next Q then I would wait.
Old 11th July 2004, 22:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yup i must say that the Skoda Octavia, even though one of the best built cars, lacks the sort of power that would have made it really desirable.

90bhp for the diesel and just 110-111 bhp for the petrol. Considering the kind of road holding and handling that car has, it could have done with a lot more power.

As for the launch of the new octavia, it has already been discussed on team-bhp.

click here
http://www.team-bhp.com/cgi-bin....;t=2148

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 12th July 2004, 02:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

lovely man.
20 hp increase at at mere 28000 approx.
some1 can bring it in a baggage from UK and if lucky enough to get away from customs....great deal.

hey tell us when u getting it done sbfx?
Old 12th July 2004, 14:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey sbfx,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]1.Has anyone chipped their cars for performance increase?
Nobody that i know of, although Rtech has plans to do so to his 1.9TDI, but after a few years when his warranty runs out. Im sure you and him could discuss this at length!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]2.I also wanted to know what is the offset of the wheels for Skoda
Lol, i know what you mean about the dealers being clueless. When i was trying to find out the same thing for the accent i spoke to about 10people at the dealership and workshop, and they would all call me back and say *"Yes sir, the PCD is 100" and i would be like "but i want to know the OFFSET!!!!!!!!!"
What you might want to do is walk in to the skoda showroom and look at the back of one of their octavia alloys, it should have the PCD and offset mentioned on there somewhere.
The wheels i bought for my accent didnt however, so i measured it myself
Also most alloy guys should know the reccomended offset, but most of the time they will just tell you anything to make the sale, so check around.

Also, IMO the octavia is an extremely difficult car to match alloys too. In all this time i have only seen ONE octavia with a nicely matched set of wheels according to me. (barring the wheels shown on that red octavia RS in all the ads.) So make sure you take your own sweet time choosing wheels. Have you shortlisted any in particular?

And finally, what size and more importanly what brand and tread tires are you looking at wrapping those 17"ers with?

cya
R

Old 12th July 2004, 14:54   #5
BHPian

I still have to order the skoda, I mostly should visit the dealers to place an order for a Red octavia on next Monday.

As for the warranty I doubt anyone would come to know if the car was chipped or re-mapped, as it connects between the Org Chip so one can always remove it before sending it for repairs to the dealers.

I would get the Chip by the end of the month mostly if I order the car early next week as my girlfriend is coming in Augest 1st week from UK if anyone else also wants the chip I can sort you out, also I'm sure the customs would notice anything, I've gotten away with audio equipment worth $7,000 US all I gave them is $50 and walked out

As for the wheels rehaan I'm in love with the "Spiders" of the RS they look stunning on the car any idea where can I get them from outside? The tires I plan to get are I guess Goodyear Eagle F1 or Bridgestones.
I'm not much educated on the side of types, the last time I changed my wheels were of my corsa to the Falkens 14".

Regards,
Satyam.

PS: I have my corsa up for sale I'll post a few pics up if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 12th July 2004, 15:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey sbfx,

Good choice with the Skoda!! I was thinking about waiting for the new model as well, but I doubt it will be out before end 2005 at the earliest.

While the 90Bhp spec is nothing to write home about, the way the power is delivered makes the car feel much quicker than it actually is. The turbo kicks in at a low 1,800 rpm and gives you a nice rush till about 3500-4000 rpm when the power starts tailing off. This makes it a great car in the city as well as cruising on the highway where it does 140-150 @ about 2800 in 5th....right in the meat of the powerband!

Ofcourse, more power is always welcome, and I plan on chipping the Octi as soon as the warranty is done with (that also gives me time to get the necassary moolah as well as upgrade other parts as mentioned below!!).

A word of caution though. The stock Octi is just way too soft. If you do chip it, please upgrade your dampers as well, as this is desperately needed!

More importantly, the diesel Octi has drums on the rear, and braking, even on the 90hp version, is adequate at best, so bear this in mind when chipping. I know its great to say you got 110bhp, but its useless if you can't exploit that gain in power.

17" rims look A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! I have a bud here who has put 17's on his red Octi and it looks bloody great! He's wrapped them with the latest Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, simply some of the best rubber you can buy! He claims to have paid almost Rs.16,000/- PER tyre though, so the good stuff does not come cheap!

Octavia wheel specs:
PCD: 100
Offset: 35-38

Enjoy the Octi!

Rtech
Old 12th July 2004, 16:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]As for the wheels rehaan I'm in love with the "Spiders" of the RS they look stunning on the car any idea where can I get them from outside?
Hey sbfx,
well i remember someone on the forum saying that the "sports kit" (ie front airdam, and alloys from the RS) was available at the dealers. However i checked at "Autobahn" about two weeks back and they seemed to have no idea about it, so i dont think it is available here. (Which dealer are u buying from btw?)
I wish i had taken a pic of those wheels i saw on this light blue octi a few nights ago.... i cant even remember what they looked like now...but they matched the car and colour perfectly!
Have you considered getting the RS wheels from the UK ? $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The tires I plan to get are I guess Goodyear Eagle F1 or Bridgestones.
Whats your budget? Have you considered michelins or pirellis? and what tread width are u thinking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]PS: I have my corsa up for sale I'll post a few pics up if anyone is interested let me know.
Go ahead and put it up on the "market place" section.

I agree with Rtech on the fact that the octavia ride doesnt seem "tight" enough to give you a great ride when ur pumping out 110bhp.
Plus ABS is only available on the petrol since the deisel has drums at back. And when i drove the car (in the wet though) the breaking was not spectacular.

However, its just a solid car that has so many little things (in terms of build and design) that will make your day.

Keep us up to date (and feel free to take some digipics of possible alloys n put em up)
cheers
R

Old 12th July 2004, 17:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]However i checked at "Autobahn" about two weeks back and they seemed to have no idea about it, so i dont think it is available here.
Hey Rehaan,

I know for a fact that both Autobahn and Nummer Eins sell the body kit. Infact, they sell it in stages too if you want.
Front airdam
Side skirts & wheel archs
Rear skirt
Choice of 2 spoilers

The full kit comes for Rs.65,000/- as of March 2004. Its better to get the kit at the time of buying the car as it needs to be painted to match your car. Also, it then comes with a 1 year warranty, as do all Skoda accessories.

Autobahn are CHUMPS, so I don't recomend dealing with them! What you can do is ask them to fax you the pricelist of their accessories. Do the same with Nummer Eins too just to compare the prices.

To check out what the kit looks like on the street, take a look at the red Octi which is always at the Ambassador hotel, right next to a hot black E class with some awesome rims! the Octi too has the awesome 16" Skoda smoked wheels....droooooll!!

I really wish we coulda got those.

Rt
Old 12th July 2004, 17:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 12 2004,14:16)]I have a bud here who has put 17's on his red Octi and it looks bloody great! He's wrapped them with the latest Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, simply some of the best rubber you can buy! He claims to have paid almost Rs.16,000/- PER tyre though, so the good stuff does not come cheap!
Whoa!!!

When do we get to see pics!!?? (and test drive>? )

16k per tire!!!.. isnt the going price of the GS-D3s something like 8k per tire for a 225mm17"er?

Also, dont they have a specified break in period of 750km!!? (isnt that strange for tires that should technically be very "soft"?)

cheers
R
Old 12th July 2004, 17:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 12 2004,15:36)]I know for a fact that both Autobahn and Nummer Eins sell the body kit. Infact, they sell it in stages too if you want.
Front airdam
Side skirts & wheel archs
Rear skirt
Choice of 2 spoilers
But no alloys? right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]which is always at the Ambassador hotel, right next to a hot black E class with some awesome rims!
say no more....

cya
R
Old 12th July 2004, 17:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]When do we get to see pics!!?? (and test drive>? *)
I've gotto get the dude to join T-BHP and post the pics for himself! As far as the test drive goes, I've been waiting for one from him myself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]16k per tire!!!.. isnt the going price of the GS-D3s something like 8k per tire for a 225mm17"er?
8g's for a 17" D3?! I doubt it. When he bought the D3's, they were pretty new abroad too, hence maybe the high price, but I'm sure they still pretty expensive. Don't confuse these Eagle F1's with the D2's(like I have on my car). The D3's are a step up from those.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also, dont they have a specified break in period of 750km!!? (isnt that strange for tires that should technically be very "soft"?)
Thats the first I've heard on the breakin. 750 km does seem a a bit extreme, but those are probably manufacture quoted figures, always on the safe side to avoid any potential lawsuit!

Rtech

Old 12th July 2004, 18:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 12 2004,15:44)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]16k per tire!!!.. isnt the going price of the GS-D3s something like 8k per tire for a 225mm17"er?
8g's for a 17" D3?! I doubt it. When he bought the D3's, they were pretty new abroad too, hence maybe the high price, but I'm sure they still pretty expensive. Don't confuse these Eagle F1's with the D2's(like I have on my car). The D3's are a step up from those.
Hey Rtech,

Yeah he probably bought them when they had just come out, and naturally paid a bit more to get them to bombay.
At the moment 225/45R17 GS-D3s are available for 9.2k ie $200 in the states.

random online seller link

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also, dont they have a specified break in period of 750km!!? (isnt that strange for tires that should technically be very "soft"?)
Thats the first I've heard on the breakin. 750 km does seem a a bit extreme, but those are probably manufacture quoted figures, always on the safe side to avoid any potential lawsuit!
True.... do you think that maybe it is also slightly due to the higher camber angles on the cars likely to be running the D3s?

R

Old 12th July 2004, 19:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Yeah he probably bought them when they had just come out, and naturally paid a bit more to get them to bombay.
At the moment 225/45R17 GS-D3s are available for 9.2k ie $200 in the states.
Hmm...200US$ but add to that the shipping and the juicy dealer margin and 16K sounds about believable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]do you think that maybe it is also slightly due to the higher camber angles on the cars likely to be running the D3s?
You mean more negative camber? Well, possibly, but there are many other tyres out there in the same category that don't have such a high break in period, so its Goodyear just covering its a$$. Can't blame 'em, what with their primary market being the good 'ol US of A!

Rtech
Old 12th July 2004, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Hi guys,

I just got back from the dealer and got to know the new octavia is expected in the beginning of 2nd Q of 05, this has got me thinking now if it is wise to put down 12big ones or wait, the only other car I had considered is the Corolla but it somehow doesn’t excite me.

I'm on the fence now dont know what to do practically speaking I don’t *NEED* a car ahhh I hate being in this kind of situation.

Satyam
Old 13th July 2004, 01:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sbfx,

I can relate to what you're going through right now, but there are 2 ways of looking at it:
1. There is always gonna be a newer and better car coming out, so in that sense, you are never really gonna end up with the latest machinery for too long! So forget waitinbg and go out and get what you want now!

2. If, as you say, you don't really need a car now, then wait! Buy one when you do need it!

Again, I really doubt that the new Octavia is gonna come out that early. Remember, the old Golf/Jetta, which shares its underpinnings with our Octi, is still on sale in the US and they don't plan to launch it till later this year. Also, the new Octi. was only JUST launched, or maybe not yet even, in the UK.

Then we have the fact that Skoda only just finished making their assembly plant and it doesn't make sense for them to scrap it and tool up for the new Octi already. They are also gonna launch the 150Hp petrol soon, and as you know the L&K was only recently launched. When you add all this together, they all point towards the current Octi being around in India for quite a while yet.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question though, but just more to ponder over.!

Rt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks