Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 08:52   #31
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Well....

It sounded great when the car was on load, as in accelerating through the gears and not in nuetral.

The FE was 11-12kmpl (city) 17-18kmpl (highway). It was picking up better from lower down the revrange. Combine that with the petes box, it was a stonker.

PS: FE when stock was 14kmpl (city) and around 19kmpl (highway). Also note I had upsized tyres (205/50R15).
drifter- how much did it cost? and who did it for you?

Old 28th March 2008, 09:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, it was around 7k and Automech from Mumbai did it for me.

Drifter
Old 1st August 2008, 16:32   #33
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than two smilies per post. We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Guys thanks for Automechs number. I am thinking of driving to Bombay one of these days and getting one fitted on my Fiesta, but I wonder what is more important. Should I fit Goodyear Eagles first or the good sounding silencer Can't do both at the same time....shortage if VitaminM

Btw, I didn't know diesels could also have nice performance exhausts

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2008 at 19:34.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:41   #34
BHPian

Zen Di being a non-turbo would not be doing too well with less low-end grunt. an FFE would surely help but do keep in mind that whatever headers and intermediate pipes you get, they should be just a little bigger than your stock pipes and headers and not a big difference.
Eg: If stock pipes are 1.5" iin diameter then it would be best if you went up to 1.75" pipes or max 2".
This will help you to free the exhaust and better scavanging from the cylinders and also maintain/gain a little low-end grunt.
Anything bigger will result in power loss.
The sound, apart from the end-muffler can be further regulated by a mid-muffler.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:50   #35
BHPian

Word of Caution

For All people with TURBO-DIESELS cars.
When looking for an FFE it is best to keep away from changing the stock headers

MODS:Please delete this post.

Last edited by abhik : 4th August 2008 at 09:52.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:51   #36
BHPian

Word of Caution

For All people with TURBO-DIESELS cars.
When looking for an FFE it is best to keep away from changing the stock headers as it will affect the turbo settings. Unless the person you are dealing with is well versed with designing Turbo headers.
Old 7th September 2008, 16:33   #37

Please Help

Hi Guys

I Need to know if there is somebody who can modify a Swift DDis performance exhaust System, i want only the sound to be modified.
I need to know if there is somebody in Bangalore.

Please help guys.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 8th September 2008, 22:27   #38
BHPian

I think you haven't seen Isuzu engines in marine applications where they have free-flow mufflers.
Old 8th September 2008, 22:30   #39
BHPian

Indirect Injection Diesel Engines
In an Indirect injection the fuel is sent to a precombustion chamber usually called prechamber where combustion begins and then spreads into the main combustion chamber usually cylinders, assisted by turbulence created in the pre chamber chamber. Therefore, this system allows for a smoother, quieter running engine, and because combustion is assisted by turbulence, lower injector pressures and high rpms.
These also require glow plugs to preheat the chamber in order to warm the air inside it in order to facilitate the starting. Usually a Rotary pump is used in Indirect injection engines because of its high efficiency and precise timing.

Direct Injection Diesel Engines
In Direct injection Engine the fuel is directly sent to combustion chamber through mechanically governed nozzles and the ignition is carried by high compression ratio inside the cylinder. In this way it uses no prechamber for pre combustion it solely relies on high compression ratio more than indirect injection engines. It also makes more noise and puts more smoke due to latency of mechanical governor pump. though some models use rotary pump which smoothens NVH levels.
These engines require back pressure cos the inside pressure of combustion chamber is very high, if directly mated with free flow mufflers these can lead to scavanging of liners [cylinder wall] due to cold air outside after completing exhaust stroke.

Common Rail Direct Injection
They are same as Direct Injection Engines but the the distributed pump feeding individual nozzle is replaced by a common rail single pump and the injector nozzles are controlled by computer to offer more precise and adequate timing in conjunction with rpm and throttle response.
hell boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 18:03   #40
BHPian

Can Turbo diesel engine be "FFE'd" ?

We know the sound, err.. music that can be made out of a Petrol engine with a good FFE.

I've been told by several people that a FFE make no sense in a Turbo Diesel.
I don't know how good or bad it is (the music factor) in a Petrol engine.

So, now the million dollar question.

Can a turbo diesel be FFE'd ?
More importantly will it sound good ?

Turbo takes the energy out of the exhaust gasses (or so I've been told) and FFE in a turbo will not make matters any better ?

If this is true why we still see mufflers in turbo diesel cars ?

If any one has done it, please share the magic.
A Black Swift VDi is waiting to be FFE'd

Note to MOD's : Searched and found no thread exists for this, if thread exists kindly merge.
Old 29th September 2008, 18:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is true why we still see mufflers in turbo diesel cars ?
To be sold later to petrolheads :-)
I think you should be able to add a bigger dia exhaust pipe.
Can possible forget the sound improvement factor.
Old 29th September 2008, 18:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post121105
check out the posts by ananthkamath
Old 29th September 2008, 19:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just putting a big fat end can on a deisel will give you no roar compared to a petrol. IMHO it is a waste of money unless you wanna do it only for the looks part !!

The headers are best left as it is. You may run into unforeseen issues.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th September 2008 at 19:28.
Old 30th January 2011, 19:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sports exhaust for a diesel

Reviving an old thread..More than 2 yrs from the last discussions. Any improvised mufflers that guarantees a sporty sound for a diesel car?

PS: Planning for a diesel car within a quarter
Old 30th January 2011, 22:49   #45
BHPian

Re: Sports exhaust for a diesel

Try Aero Exhaust from USA available to indians thru 20north.com, amazon.com or even ebay.com
costs 8-10k, lifetime gaurantee, stainless steel, and best of all, V8 like roar from the exhaust.
my mm540 has the same muffler, and i still beat modern cars in traffic light races, and the sound will make you addicted to rev more.
the specs are available in their website aeroexhaust.com and if you get hold of a good knowledgeable tinker, you can fabricate it locally for 3-5k.
Lastly aero mufflers are the best (IMHO) for diesels - better not to put it in petrols, as the bass sound will make you drive nuts. (pls avoid this muffler in petrol cars).
Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks