Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2004, 21:26   #1
BHPian

Was reading up stuff on increasing engine power and came across Performance Chips. These apparently replace the engine control values from the stock chips thus altering fuel injection timings etc, leading to more power. Does anyone do this in india ? is this doable for the cars available in india today ? I guess MPFi should be chip controlled. Also, would this be a standard interface so that a performace chip can fit any car (like Tyres) or are there perf chips for each make/model ?
Old 30th September 2004, 23:25   #2
BHPian

it is doable if you can find a company who is tuning the ECU for your model car..

mostly sports oriented cars have an ECU upgrade..or cars that have some sporty feeling to them, that lot of ppl want..otherwise its difficult to find..

so what model and make do you have?
Old 1st October 2004, 18:44   #3
BHPian

Fiat Petra.. I'm not really planning to do anything myself, just intrigued by the possibility..
Old 1st October 2004, 19:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Performance chips as the name states, comes in many forms. You get rom chips pre programmed that replaces your present chip in the ecm. These chips have reprogrammed fuel maps, a higher revlimit etc all to get more power. These chips usually can increase power from 5hp to 14hp. Other types of systems are plug in reprogrammers, these systems usually connect to your OBD or diagnostic port in the car. This reprograms the present chip in the car.
Other systems for more ease of tuning and expandibility are Piggyback computers and Stand Alone fuel management systems. Piggyback systems connect in parallel to the present ecm, this computer fools the one in the car altering fuel maps and other factors. Standalone Engine management computers completely replace the oem unit. These are the most advanced type of engime management systems. You get total control of the fuel maps, ignition table, mixtures, boost control, nos control, literally everything. All this can be reprogrammed by the user using a software provided by the manufacturer. These systems are for serious modifications. Tuning for these systems should be done by professionals.

Hope this answered your query.

Cheers
Dom
Old 1st October 2004, 21:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing Dom. What is the most popular option with cars that you have seen, as also with cars that you modify?

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 21:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice explanation there Dom.
How much will each of them cost???
And is it possible to get back to the normal chip after doin all these alteration,without the stock performance getting affected??
Thanks.
X
Old 1st October 2004, 21:33   #7
BHPian

nice explaination there Dom, I am not a technical guy, but knew only a little to wet the topic..

annyhow, but what I said about chips available for fairly popular models is true right, you cant get a chip for M800 or something like that

and also I have heard that there is a chip for the M3 which increases power by 30+ hp and some other chips for Audi which do even more..I am not sure about it cuz I have never seen any..

Also another thing is, from time to time one should reset the ECU/chip since it records your driving patters for best FE I guess, so if you have been driving your car with ease for sometime, you wouldnt get the same punch as you did when you first got it, so resetting will remove all the stored data about your driving pattern and you can have fun once again..Ppl have noticed a difference in resetting the ECU..

Cheers

Old 2nd October 2004, 02:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

HI,
The most popular ones i deal with are the piggyback ones. The reason because, most of the other chips are not suitable for the cars here. The only car that i can reprogram using plug in programmers is the Ford Mondeo. The piggy back ones are easy to install about 2 hrs work, then about 4 - 5 hrs to get the maps correct. Helps if you have a wideband oxygen sensor, or individual egt readings. and to answer xmachine, well you can just unplug the piggyback computer and you are back to oe settings, simple

True that we dont get plug n play chips for our indian cars. And yes the M3, Sl55 etc mostly every sports car have performance chips to increase power. You can even get a power chip from a russian company for our indian skodas, It increases as much as 16hp on the diesels and also the new RS turbo to about 180bhp. Yes resetting has its advantages. When you reset your ecm, idle the car for minute then run the car in gear afterwards. The computer in the car is always learning new variables. So its basically how you drive the computer stores.

Cheers
Dom
Old 2nd October 2004, 02:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I forgot,
* Costs:

ROM Chips etc * * * * * *: Between 5k and 15k (Usually Motorola Chips)
Handheld Programmers : Between 15k and 35k (superchips etc)
Piggyback Computers * : Between 15k and 1.5 lac (Greddy Emanage, HKS Fcon)
Stand Alone Systems * : Between 45k and 2.5 lac (Motec, AEM SAEMS)

Cheers
Dom

Old 3rd October 2004, 16:56   #10
BANNED

Dom, Which is the on eu were suggesting for me to install Am dude, I'm still waiting for ur mail.

Guys, Dom really knows his stuff.. don't listen to him too much coz i;m sure u'll START LOSING SLEEP ..-- Im experiencing that. lol I just wish u were im my town dom,

cheers
Old 4th October 2004, 04:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dom, i have a previous generation accord in bombay with 141 bhp its an automatic. I wouldnt mind putting a chip in to boost the power up but i dont want my FE to go down coz since the car is automatic the average is shit as it is around 6kmpl very rarely does it go above that sometimes even 5.5 depending on the way i drive which usually is very heavy footed. Anyways i wanna know whr i could get a chip for my car which can be removed when i give it in for service so that it doesnt alter my warranty etc and also doesnt reduce FE. I am currently studying in the states if u think i could pick up one from here and get it back with me to bombay would be a better idea or will it be avaible in bombay? 10x for the help man
Old 4th October 2004, 15:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
hey khaadu i had suggested the Greddy Emanage for you due to the ease in install and tuning, can be removed anytime to get company settings back. Hey sahil this unit will do great for you too, its about 315$ i think, and dont forget to get the tuning kit with it about 100$ more, you get a cd with a connector for ur laptop. Dude get it from the US, here in india it will take a long time to source it out. I get my stuff from the states too.

Cheers
Dom
Old 4th October 2004, 15:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sahil,
Sorry i forgot the other questions, yea fe will suffer a bit. Also i heard theres a little issues in tuning the honda automatics. Just give a call to greddy and ask them, im sure they will help out. Their catalog had a few misprnts etc. Do check up. I do have friends abroad who have got the emanage installed and a re pretty happy after a ton of headaches. The car gains about 4hp till the vtec switches on, once its on about 15hp gain. Check it up.

Cheers
Dom
Old 5th October 2004, 11:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thnx for the reply buddy...who exactly is the Greedy guy? My only concern is i want to take no risk with the installation i wanna get it done top notch with no screw up with my warranty or car .. just plug and play type chip which i can remove when ever i want.
Also whr in the state can i source all this? whr do u buy u r stuff from and waht exactly should i look out for wat is the part called?
What abt the Fuel consumption part dude?
Old 5th October 2004, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Greddy is one of the biggest performance company in the states Link. This is not a chip its a piggy back fuel comp. Will need a few wires to be hooked on to the ECM. And yeah it can be removed to bring settings to normal. If you are looking for something no one will come to know (Warranty Purpose) Check out Superchips in the UK, they make a hand held device that flashes the present ecm with few new alogrithms i think they do have one for your accord about 12hp gain. This will be a safer bet. And the best thing the handheld device stores the original settings, so anytime at the flick of a button you can go back to oe settings. No wires no additional attachments nothing. Just hooks on to your OBD or Diagnostics port on the car. heres the Link.
FE will suffer a bit, about 10% max. Depends on driving style, with the additional power you tend to rev hard, which in turn will reduce FE. Otherwise a very less drop. Superchips are pretty good but are pretty costly about 25k, But will be best for you, easy to install (do it yourself) just plug and play, and can go back to OE anytime, best thing no one will know.

Cheers
Dom

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks