Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2018, 10:54   #1
BHPian

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4

Hello all,

I have a 2009 Suzuki SX4 ZXi variant which is primarily used for highway trips and long rides. It's a good running car for its age and the only downer for me was the poor throw from the headlights which was making it difficult to drive on the highways at night. The only option I had then was to change the bulbs which came with the car.

Test 1:
I tried changing to better bulbs like Philips Diamond Vision which was still lacking the proper light output I required. So, switched to 100/90 halogen bulbs with a relay. This was somewhat better but this started causing reflector burning issues.

Test 2:
The next option was for me to go with HIDs. I installed H4 HIDs 35W 4300K ones which improved the headlight throw quite a lot. However, the HIDs were throwing light elsewhere as well and this was causing glare for oncoming traffic. Immediately got rid of the HIDs. So I was back to square one again.

The only option I had was to shift to projectors mounted inside the stock headlights or retrofit them. This was a risk since if the installation was not done correctly, I would end up with water and dust inside the reflector housing. I was not willing to risk losing an entire headlight setup on this.

Test 3:
The final solution came to me as an aftermarket projector headlight housing itself. Now this is the housing which was sold in the Japanese version of the SX4 sedan/hatchback. The only difficulty was procuring it.

As my dad was traveling a lot to China, he managed to pick up the set of the projector headlights. Got it installed at the nearby installer and the unit fit perfectly in the original location. The headlight leveler motor could not be installed so it's a manual adjustment for the level. Cut off is a straight Z cut. Finally, with this setup my headlight issues are resolved.

As of now it's been 5 years since running with them and they are wonderful at night on the highways. I'm running HIDs in the projector low beam and high beam as well ( using high beam cautiously ) and the light throw is amazing. The car looks much better as well.

As of now I have converted to all LED setup in the car, so the only thing remaining to switch are the headlights which are still HIDs. Having procured the LEDs and using it in my other car, I will switch to the LEDs in this as well. Now for some pictures.

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-rps20140417_124223_01.jpg

After installation. Note that a relay was used to split the single H4 socket to two separate H7 sockets for low and high.

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-rps20140417_124302_01.jpg

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-rps20140417_124445_01.jpg

High beam mode.

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-img_20140303_040001.jpg

Low beam mode.

Apologise for any errors crept in and for poor images since they were taken in 2012.
nikhn is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 11:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4

I believe you have got the Suzuki OE headlight assembly. Did it have HID bulb in the projector as OE? I think the Chinese SX4 had halogen projectors.

Do post few output pics on dark road
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 11:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Cut off is a straight Z cut.
But inverted?

Since China drives on the right, your cutoff should look like this:

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-lhd.jpg

For RHD traffic it should be this way:

Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4-rhd.jpg

I hope the low beam is at a level such that it doesn't cause an inconvenience to the oncoming traffic.

(Image copyright Audi sport forums)
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 11:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I believe you have got the Suzuki OE headlight assembly. Did it have HID bulb in the projector as OE? I think the Chinese SX4 had halogen projectors.

Do post few output pics on dark road
Yes it had the provision for HID ballasts to be mounted on it but I have not used them to mount it. However it did come default with halogen bulbs.

Sure will share the pics at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But inverted?

Since China drives on the right, your cutoff should look like this:

Attachment 1711588

I hope the low beam is at a level such that it doesn't cause an inconvenience to the oncoming traffic.

(Image copyright Audi sport forums)
Yes it is as per pic mentioned above. I have manually adjusted it to not hit oncoming drivers.

Confusing because I was told that it's similar to the Japanese version but the cut off seems to be on the LHD( DOT version and not ECE version.)
nikhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 12:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I was actually interested to get this headlight assembly. My Plan was to open these headlights and retrofit 4 HID projectors . Replace the OE halogen projector with after market Bixenon Projector and retrofit another projector in the high beam reflector. This setup would look killer, well controlled output in low beam and massive high beam.
Old 1st January 2018, 13:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I had come across your post in another forum a few years ago when I was browsing through the JDM headlight options online. Was surprised to see this already on an Indian car. It is quite rare and a difficult one to get since the rest of the world always had the single reflector setup and this variant was not sold widely.

One thing I noticed was that you have wired the low beam and high beam as it is which leads to the low beam turning off when you switch to high beam. Instead, you can modify the wiring to ensure that the low beam stays on when you switch to high beam. That will give you a superb high beam performance in dark areas.

And those fog lights are glare material. Instead, go for an LED setup there and that will give you more usable light on the road without glaring oncoming users.

Is this setup an OE assembly or an aftermarket assembly?
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I was actually interested to get this headlight assembly. My Plan was to open these headlights and retrofit 4 HID projectors . Replace the OE halogen projector with after market Bixenon Projector and retrofit another projector in the high beam reflector. This setup would look killer, well controlled output in low beam and massive high beam.
I had seen something exactly like that on an XUV in New Delhi last year. The owner had replaced the OEM low beam projectors, as well as the high beam reflectors with aftermarket bi-xenon projectors, running a 70W HID kit on all of them.
The cutoff shields used to raise for all four of them at the same time when he used the high beam, and boy oh boy, was that a maddening flash of light or what.
I’ve seen trucks & buses dipping their lights when he flashes his brights head on.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
The cutoff shields used to raise for all four of them at the same time when he used the high beam, and boy oh boy, was that a maddening flash of light or what.
I’ve seen trucks & buses dipping their lights when he flashes his brights head on.
Yes, the output from Quad setup would be MASSIVE. It is not possible to do in all headlights. This is a very good option in cars which have dual barrel headlights or low beam halogen projector + high beam reflector.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st January 2018 at 13:43.
Old 1st January 2018, 13:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The owner had replaced the OEM low beam projectors, as well as the high beam reflectors with aftermarket bi-xenon projectors, running a 70W HID kit on all of them.

Off topic, but question here is, do you really need that much light? Lets assume its properly focussed, causes no glare in low beam to opposite vehicles and what not. When that much of light is put out on the street, the drivers eyes get adjusted to so much of the foreground light that you will not be able to spot any object in the background, ie the area which is not illuminated by the headlights. Especially in the low beam. If it is overly bright, then you wont be able to spot whatever is outside of the illuminated area. There has to be some balance between the output of the headlights and the ambient lighting. This is not applicable for pitch dark conditions, but in our regular city and urban roads, it is necessary.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When that much of light is put out on the street, the drivers eyes get adjusted to so much of the foreground light that you will not be able to spot any object in the background, ie the area which is not illuminated by the headlights. Especially in the low beam. If it is overly bright, then you wont be able to spot whatever is outside of the illuminated area. There has to be some balance between the output of the headlights and the ambient lighting. This is not applicable for pitch dark conditions, but in our regular city and urban roads, it is necessary.
Very good point. Too much foreground light will spoil the distant vision. 70W setup in all 4 projectors is definitely overkill. I have seen few cars with 35W quad setup and it was good. Also it depends on the type of projectors used. I have seen people in HID planet forum modifying the shield / foreground limiter etc for the very same reason
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
That's my next project. To replace the projectors which will give even more cleaner throw. However since it involves opening up the headlight completely I'm hesitant. From what I have come across in another SX4 forum, these headlights are sealed with a different material and heating them up to open them is not possible. High heat may damage the lens. Hence I am using the setup as is.

Quote:
I had come across your post in another forum a few years ago when I was browsing through the JDM headlight options online. Was surprised to see this already on an Indian car. It is quite rare and a difficult one to get since the rest of the world always had the single reflector setup and this variant was not sold widely.

One thing I noticed was that you have wired the low beam and high beam as it is which leads to the low beam turning off when you switch to high beam. Instead, you can modify the wiring to ensure that the low beam stays on when you switch to high beam. That will give you a superb high beam performance in dark areas.

And those fog lights are glare material. Instead, go for an LED setup there and that will give you more usable light on the road without glaring oncoming users.

Is this setup an OE assembly or an aftermarket assembly?
It has been wired with a different method since I have also installed auto headlight system in the car. Now both low and high lights up with a well light road ahead of me.

Got rid of the fogs as well long back. Have been using the stock fog light with LED bulbs in them. I rarely use the car hence did not go for the full LED fog light setup which you have.

It's an OE assembly since the OE manufacturers stamp is present on the housing.
Old 1st January 2018, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the output from Quad setup would be MASSIVE. It is not possible to do in all headlights. This is a very good option in cars which have dual barrel headlights or low beam halogen projector + high beam reflector.
Yes, the light output, even on low beam, was crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Quote:
Off topic, but question here is, do you really need that much light? Lets assume its properly focussed, causes no glare in low beam to opposite vehicles and what not. When that much of light is put out on the street, the drivers eyes get adjusted to so much of the foreground light that you will not be able to spot any object in the background, ie the area which is not illuminated by the headlights. Especially in the low beam. If it is overly bright, then you wont be able to spot whatever is outside of the illuminated area. There has to be some balance between the output of the headlights and the ambient lighting. This is not applicable for pitch dark conditions, but in our regular city and urban roads, it is necessary.
You are absolutely right, and that was the EXACT same thing I said to the owner of the car, but he being the uninformed & ignorant 20 year old, went ahead and even installed an LED light bar on his roof.

P.S - This guy is running a 15% VLT window tint on his front windshield, and thus, uses all his lights at night to just make the road visible to him. Now, how does one argue with a person like that?

Quote:
70W setup in all 4 projectors is definitely overkill.
+1
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 15:14   #13
BHPian

Re: Pics: Japanese-market OEM Projector Headlamps in my SX4

Quote:
Any pointers on how to go about that wiring?

Quote:
You are absolutely right, and that was the EXACT same thing I said to the owner of the car, but he being the uninformed & ignorant 20 year old, went ahead and even installed an LED light bar on his roof.
P.S - This guy is running a 15% VLT window tint on his front windshield, and thus, uses all his lights at night to just make the road visible to him. Now, how does one argue with a person like that?
He should realize that blinding the on coming traffic means he himself is at risk of having a collision. The other party won't be able to see him and given a bad time & situation things could go pretty bad for him. A good lighting for one's own forward visibility is important and it is equally important that you have lights which also allows others to find you.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 16:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Any pointers on how to go about that wiring?
Its easy if you are using a relay circuit to power the headlight. A diode connected across the high beam and low beam signal wire will ensure that the low beam signal is provided to relay even when high beam is active. The +ve of diode goes to high beam and the -ve to low beam. However, if there is no relay and the headlights are directly powered by the vehicle circuit then a different approach must be followed, again by using a relay and harness to power the circuit and adding the diode to the harness.

I think this kind of a converter is readily available with the H4 HID wiring harnesses or when using a projector in place of H4 halogen setup.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 07:57   #15

Quote:

I had the same question. Stock wiring keeps the low beam on even while using the high beam like in my corolla’s stock headlamps. Wondering why the low beam is turning off in those beautiful JDM headlights.
BPS_93 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks