Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 19:50   #1
BHPian

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets

Guys, Got this as a Whatsapp forward, did a little bit of digging and looks to be true. A new startup called AptEnter Mechatronics Private Limited (Cool Name),based out of Bangalore have decided to launch a product called Blu Snap (Could have got a better name!) which is essentially a wearable cooler for full face helmets. It seems this battery chargeable device can decrease the temperature around our head by a good 6-15 degrees.
That is huge promises! Hope and pray they deliver. This is need of the hour for bike commuters in India. As per the image the thing can be just strapped on the helmet. Check out their site for more info.

PS: I have absolutely no relation whatsoever with these start up guys. I am tempted to pre-order but just want some opinion of you guys. What you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img20180119wa0058.jpg  

Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets-img20180119wa0059.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 20:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wearable Cooler for Full Face Helmets

Was going to create a thread after watching this. Good that a thread is already in place. Interesting concept, but the efficiency, quality and battery duration needs to be seen over the long term.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 21:54   #3
BHPian

Last weekend I saw this with one guy in Bangalore. Initially I did not get what it is and missed opportunity of asking him. Seemed a bit bulky for my liking.

Also what about the weight it adds on to the helmet?

Typically on long rides, I have GoPro & Sena and now this?
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 22:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Peltier chip with a fan attached being used as a cooler, you can make something like this at home too.
humyum is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 03:10   #5
BHPian

Reminds me of the AGV TECH (Thermo Electric Cooling Helmet) Helmet that was introduced in the early 1990s. That helmet was a much more elegant design than this solution. However, the helmet disappeared in short span of year after being introduced. I have myself worked with thermo electric solutions, while they do work, they don't always live up to their max potential.
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 10:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is good for those long wait at traffic jams on hot summer days. During my initial days, at my first job in Ahmedabad, I had to go out of office for sales calls. That time I used to think, why there is no air conditioning in the helmet. And here we have an air cooler for a helmet. However, quality of this product doesn't look that convincing. I would love to buy a helmet, with OEM air-cooler.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:29   #7
BHPian

Just thinking, in extreme hot weather, would not a reduction of 15 degrees C from the temperature (outside the helmet) be detrimental to the health of the wearer.

Example, if a rider is wearing a helmet for about an hour in Delhi's sweltering heat of ~45 degrees, the temperature inside the helmet, as per claim would be 30 degrees. When the rider removes the helmet, would there be chances of a heat stroke.
deepfusion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

thermoelectric/peltier cooling is as old as the hills - if you search on this subject, you'll see plenty of press releases about similar revolutionary products over the past 10 years which disappeared without a trace. I wonder what has changed in the meantime to make this any more feasible/effective ?
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:14   #9
BHPian

I did a design project at school with this! Had to use a peltier chip inside, but IMO and air conditioned full suit and helmet together would be the best. I am not sure about having a cool head and a hot body at the same time.
Doge is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:27   #10
BHPian

Would this not affect the protection abilities of the helmet during accident? When the helmet is designed and tested for protection, I guess there is no consideration for such accessories and attachments. While the issue of high temperature and humidity is genuine, I am concerned if there happens to be safety trade-off in favour of comfort.
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Would this not affect the protection abilities of the helmet during accident?
I doubt it, since people (including myself) put gopro and helmet communicators and mohawks (!) on helmets.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Would this not affect the protection abilities of the helmet during accident? When the helmet is designed and tested for protection, I guess there is no consideration for such accessories and attachments. While the issue of high temperature and humidity is genuine, I am concerned if there happens to be safety trade-off in favour of comfort.
It most most definitely will, Helmets are designed to absorb impact forces and is actually a rather delicate piece of engineering. Infact one is not supposed to even apply stickers as the gum may weaken the shell. Go pro mounts actually alter the structural integrity of the helmet, it tends to alter the way the helmet fractures on impact(But I believe they take this into the design consideration).

Coming to this contraption, if the device breaks away immediately on impact there should not be any problem. But if it contains strong metallic components, they would act as a knife edge against the front of the helmet and the outcome will not be pretty. Also the helmet may come off the head if the cooler alters the way the forces are transmitted upon impact (have you wondered why car bumpers are soft and flexible).

Coming to the cooler itself, I am not sure that its based thermoelectric cooling.

Thermoelectric coolers have a hot side to reject the heat(A heat sink), which I do not see. Thermoelectric coolers are highly inefficient and a large li-po battery is quite expensive. Most importantly they not require water.

My opinion is the the cooler works on evaporative cooling, where water is allowed to evaporate across the passing air thereby absorbing the heat(we used to called them air coolers) and a 6 degree temperature drop is well within the expected range.

One huge disadvantage is that the cooling effect depends on the incoming air. It has to be hot and dry. If it is humid then this will will only make it worse.

All said, Id hold back on my final verdict until I hear some reviews or atleast a data sheet on the cooling performance and give them the benefit of doubt.
virage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 18:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

If one needs contraptions like these to be able to ride, Its better to park your bike at home and ride when the weather is more conducive
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Can't comment on its efficacy without actually using one, but I was immediately reminded of Darth Vader. A full black glossy helmet with this attached might make Darth Vader fans happy.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 15:30   #15
BHPian

Founder and CEO of this company is known to me, looking at the all the discussion/questions here I checked with him and he was already following this thread.
Please note he is not a member of Team-BHP, so could not respond directly. He sent me a note requesting to post it here.
Disclaimer: I personally have not tested or used this product.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is PK, and I am founder and CEO of AptEner, the company that is building the BluArmor range of motorcycle gear. Our first product is BluSnap, which to the best of our knowledge, is the first snap-on cooler for helmets. You can reach me at pk@bluarmorhelmets.com.
I have been following this thread, and couldn’t respond since I am not a member with team-bhp.
Please see below a summary of the questions that have come up so far, and my responses.
a) What is the technology used in BluSnap
BluSnap, at a 10000ft level, is a miniaturized air cooler.

b) But air coolers don’t work in humid places
Achieving effective cooling in humid places is one of our key innovations in BluSnap. Rather than give you the details of the BluSnap implementation, let me point out that a humid place like Chennai has one of the largest (and effective) air coolers in the world – we just know it as Marina Beach. Understanding how the beach is so effective at heat removal in humid conditions is at the core of our technology.

c) Will it snap off on impact if there is a crash?
Yes, BluSnap is designed to snap off on impact allowing the helmet to do its job in protecting you. BluSnap needs no modifications to the helmet allowing it to retain the protection that it is designed for.

d) How do you know how it will perform in summer?
BluSnap’s technology was field tested in different cities last summer to validate the level of temperature reduction we can get (the majority of our field testing was done in Chennai to validate its effectiveness under hot and humid conditions). Further, we have a lab setup that replicates different T/RH conditions (we have tested up to 48 deg C @ 10-15% RH); on our website (http://bluarmorhelmets.com), you can see a graphic showing you the expected temperature reduction in different cities.

e) What happens if temperature is 40 deg C and humidity is 95%? How will BluSnap work?
Not to be dramatic, but if the conditions were indeed 40 deg C with 95% humidity, none of us will be alive if we venture outdoors. Our body uses sweat to lose heat, and if the wet bulb temperature (temperature when humidity is 100%) is greater than our skin temperature (33-34 deg C), the body will not be able to lose any heat at all. High temperatures are usually accompanied by low-mid humidity even in very humid cities. The wet-bulb temperature in a city like Chennai hovers around 29-31degC through the day/year.

f) You cool only a portion of the body. Is it risky? Will I fall ill?
Our body faces such an uphill task w.r.t. heat removal that it gratefully accepts any and all help it is given. Home remedies like splashing water on one’s face, putting a cold towel around one’s neck etc. (all examples of local cooling) have been practiced for a long time with no adverse impact.

g) I like the idea, but the design is bulky
We hear you. Miniaturizing this technology further is definitely part of our plan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shyaGO is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks