Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:19   #1
BANNED

Palio Extreme Filter + Lpg

Hey guys..please do help me on this...i have took a disater decision to put in an LPG kit for my palio 1.6 gtx.the reason is that in kerala roads its difficult to get a good FE with cars like palio....iam very much scared whether will it effect the power of the engine...as i cannot sacrifice it.but i do want a good FE.i have heard that the pickup generaly decreases on installin an lpg kit....i would like to know whether if i fit in an extreme or universal k&n filter will the pickup increase for the car runnin in lpg.??..

hey iam new to this lpg thing...i dont know what are the long term damages..will it slowly decrease the efficiency of the engine permanently??...

i talked to the guys in RF motors in kerala.they told fitting an lpg is a bad choice...because it could block the fuel injectors and wil have to buy one if its damaged and each costed around 3000 rs ...

i would like to know both the pros and cons in fitting an lpg kit...as of now i have not fitted it..thought to discuss with you guys and make up the final decision...

And also when i talked with the guys in the lpg fitting workshop...they told that only BRC kits can be fitted...because since the the lpg is connected to the air intake of the engine..and since 1.6 being a powerful engine...it sucks in a lot of air...and due to this for some kits in 1.6,some sort of engine revvetting sound comes from the filter(did not actualy understand what those guys told.engine firing before ignition or something...dint realy understand..)...

i would like to know will i have both ,ie better fuel efficiency and pick up and power for-->> lpg+k&n universal or extreme filter...

and guys does anyone know what an HOB (Hydro Octane Booster ) is???...says it increases the milage and power...
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

your performance will decrease but not as much as cng.. lpg is more economical than petrol. someone here had fitted lpg on his esteem and then put in a k&n filter, iridium spark plugs and a free flow.. i think the performace will be as good as a petrol then if not better.
Old 23rd January 2007, 04:40   #3
BANNED

As a rule of thumb, you can't attain the best of both worlds. Outright performance? Or outright mileage?
It's upto you to decide on one.
With a car like Palio 1.6, I would never consider lpg.

I would opt for some Suzuki engined car made by Maruti for economic runs and would floor to the max in Palio 1.6!!

Extreme filter in an LPG setup would cause too much air mixture and won't perform well I think. Please contact an expert before you do it.
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:22   #4
BANNED

i dont want both...but we could a balance in both right...thats what i want...power with better fe....and i dont a very large fe or something...just a balance in between those both thats all...and how much wil it cost for an OE clutch?
Old 23rd January 2007, 18:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

I am not LPG and k & N is a good idea...

The misture could run too lean, And the response might decrese...

I'd suggest you go in for the LPG kit... If you want mileage... Since the palio has got 100bhp... Power drop wont make it slower by much...
Old 23rd January 2007, 20:54   #6
BANNED

hey i would like to know whether will there be any long term effect for the engine...i meant will the engine performance will decrease permanently or something??...
Old 25th January 2007, 07:09   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
hey i would like to know whether will there be any long term effect for the engine...i meant will the engine performance will decrease permanently or something??...
Don't worry about the long term impact of LPG on the engine. There will not be any damage due to the usage of LPG.

Since Palio GTX is having more than 100 horses at it's disposal you won't feel the effect of power drop due to the LPG(especially through Cochin traffic) although there will be about 10% drop in power.

And.....What was the total cost incurred for the LPG kit ?

Quote:
i talked to the guys in RF motors in kerala.they told fitting an lpg is a bad choice...because it could block the fuel injectors and wil have to buy one if its damaged and each costed around 3000 rs
100% crap. If that is the case we would never ever see any MPFI vehicles fitted with LPG !!!
Old 25th January 2007, 08:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
100% crap. If that is the case we would never ever see any MPFI vehicles fitted with LPG !!!

Now, companies like Maruti are providing factory fitted kits... They wouldnt have if there was any serious problems...
Old 25th January 2007, 11:37   #9
BHPian

Hafi, you could PM Dr Sunil Pullockaran who has a GTX running on LPG (in Kochi) for about 3 years now. I am not very sure of his handle here though.
Old 25th January 2007, 11:53   #10
BANNED

can that 10% be balanced by using by filter??
Old 25th January 2007, 12:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
can that 10% be balanced by using by filter??
nope.. a filter wont give you that much of power.
Old 25th January 2007, 12:22   #12
BHPian

You Can!

Go do it dude!! I have an LPG kit on my new Swift and never felt I made a wrong decision! Of course, don't expect "great" performance from an LPG powered engine... but you will never feel 'sad' on doing it!!
see... basically when the LPG starts working, it disables your MPFI and there after the system works on 'carburater' principle!! So forget about any troubles on injectors. Besides, injector works everytime you start your engine, as its always happens on petrol!!
Now about using K&N filters.... as you know these filters will allow more air flow into the cylinders, the standard tuning(with original filter) done on an LPG kit will make the air fuel mixture lean!! So inorder to correct the mixture, you need to tune the LPG system accordingly!! But when you do this, remember you are increasing fuel(LPG) content to match the optimized levels!! THIS may decrease your FE a bit further... than with an original filter!! But still.... I think running the car on LPG for regular commuting and running it on Petrol for sporty laps will definitely be a good idea! This can be done anytime and everytime with a 'flick' on the control switch!!
Old 25th January 2007, 13:25   #13
BANNED

hey thanx a lot nikkibike....so i thonk ill do it...and about the kits...which is good...here in cochin a new indian made kit has come...name is saban..its a little more costlier than the others is it good?...does anyone have any info?
Old 25th January 2007, 15:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, there are cockroaches running around in LPG & it is said that their eggs can block the injectors. CRAP !!!!

LPG is very very effective on cars with power to spare. there is really very little difference if tuned properly. if the kerala roads are bad & affecting your FE, why bother about losing 10% power. you can always switch to petrol whenever you need that extra power. i switch to petrol when i am on the highways & switch back to gas in the city.
Old 25th January 2007, 22:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here in cochin a new indian made kit has come...name is saban..its a little more costlier than the others is it good?...does anyone have any info?
Hafi, Check the kits that are authorised for your car. Log on to Arai website to do that. There are other threads on this. There is nothing like a full indian or full imported kit. Mostly mixed components.

Once again, there will not be any immediate harmful effect on your engine running on LPG. The injectors dont work when the car runs on LPG. The device called emulator srambles the signals to the ECU and cuts off the injectors. Its absolutely safe. However the injectors work when the car is started as the car always starts on Petrol unless the choke switch is depressed.

Try with some car dealerships where they retain the warranty of the car on LPG. Also get the RC book and Insurance endorsed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks