Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2019, 09:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Kerala cops clamp down on modified cars via social media posts!

Over the last few weeks the cops and the Motor Vehicles Department have been on the prowl and been clamping down on modified vehicles and street racing in Cochin.

Quote:
A total of 65 vehicles, which were illegally modified and retrofitted with gadgets like high-powered lights and extra-wide tyres, were seized from Panampilly Nagar and roads leading to it on Friday. The action followed a night-long enforcement drive named Operation Freaken conducted by the Motor Vehicles Department (MVD).
Link - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le26622820.ece. I actually did spot the MVD officials and saw them stopping vehicles for checking as this happened pretty close to where I stay.

Today's newspaper shows how serious the MVD is about taking action.

Quote:
Intensifying its clampdown on illegally-altered vehicles, the Motor Vehicles Department has devised a novel method to find youths who zoom around in such two- wheelers and cars, through intelligence gathering.

In this, the department's enforcement personnel keep track of social media accounts of youths and their peer group who post photographs of such vehicles which have been illegally retrofitted with costly devices, and extra wide tyres.
lINK - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le26681352.ece

The end may be near for all the wonderfully modified cars from Kerala that have graced this thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Over thread.
I'm sure cops all over the country are the same. There is increased activity up here too, especially considering the year end. They always go all out in persecution .
In the modded cars, they have a soft target.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 11:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm sure cops all over the country are the same. There is increased activity up here too, especially considering the year end. They always go all out in persecution .
In the modded cars, they have a soft target.
Initially even I too thought its a year end target and felt that April 1st would herald a return to the old ways. In Kerala though it looks like things are moving on a war footing. Ive heard that the MVD has been summoning the owners of shops selling aftermarket exhausts and warning them against it. Lets see how this plays out. The ground reality is that currently all the modified cars here are on a bit of a hiatus and dont come out like they used to earlier.
Old 30th March 2019, 11:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Over the last few weeks the cops and the Motor Vehicles Department have been on the prowl and been clamping down on modified vehicles and street racing in Cochin.
It's been happening for more than a month now. A popular residential colony here where you find many modded cars are being targeted. Modded cars parked outside the house are not spared either. My friend's VRs was stopped by the MVD at the same place. Luckily, a knowledgeable official spared him and asked him to remove the tints. My friend did check on the parameters that they use to check the level of modification and luckily aftermarket alloys don't pose much of a threat but wide tires and low profile tires with lowered suspension are targeted along with other physical modifications like bodykits, aux lights, HID/LED headlights that are aftermarket, exhaust, tints, stickers (vinyls, body graphics) etc. My friend was also surprised to see some officials who were really knowledgeable on cars.

Looks like mods own country is slowly off this thread.
naveen.raju is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 10:31   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kerala cops clamp down on modified cars via social media posts!

Thanks for sharing! Moving your post to a new thread.

Quote:
The end may be near for all the wonderfully modified cars from Kerala that have graced this thread.
Best to blank out number-plates before posting. I even do it for my non-modified cars.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is a shame the Police is hell bent on confiscating the so called "Altered" vehicles while so many other serious violations (which directly endangers people on the road) are happening everyday in front of their eyes. It appears as if they have manged to sort out every other violation and this is the only problem remaining.

I feel that many in the traffic police dept. themselves do not know basic driving rules and etiquettes and because of which, these common violations do not catch their eye.

Today morning, on my way to work, I noticed a group of about 15 cars moving very slowly on a 4 lane road, led by a slow moving car on the fast lane! Worked my way up through the pile-up and finally managed to pass the slow moving herd, only to realize that it was a pink-patrol (That's what they officially call the patrol car for Policewomen) going at 15 kmph through the right most lane. It is not just about Pink-patrol, even regular patrol cars do this all the time.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st April 2019 at 11:33.
clevermax is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

I like the name given to the Operation,- Freaken

For those who don't know, this is the Malayalam term for these guys with mod'd cars and bikes blasting around. Kerala residents, correct me if I am wrong.

Wondering next if they will plug in a computer with the help of a service centre and check for mods since that kind of mod is what makes a car a missile in the hands of those who cannot control it.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:20   #8
BHPian

It is truly saddening to accept this happenings.
I guess, any modifications that alter the parameters/specifications provided by manufacturer for getting the vehicle registered, is considered illegal,although there is no clear border between what exactly are legal and not. When this level of enforcement is going on, it is high time public gets to an understanding on this issue
ashikthomson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
For those who don't know, this is the Malayalam term for these guys with mod'd cars and bikes blasting around. Kerala residents, correct me if I am wrong.
The word is not just representing those who have modded card and bikes. It represents a lifestyle - the modifications can be seen on their hairstyle, attire, chat-lingo and it can very well manifest on their rides too.

According to Police, all "Freakens" are bad guys. In actuality, a lot of kids go through this phase in their life and transition into better forms later. They cannot be generalized for their behavior or riding styles or for modding their rides.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st April 2019 at 11:25.
clevermax is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The word is not just representing those who have modded card and bikes. It represents a lifestyle - the modifications can be seen on their hairstyle, attire, chat-lingo and it can very well manifest on their rides too.

According to Police, all "Freakens" are bad guys. In actuality, a lot of kids go through this phase in their life and transition into better forms later. They cannot be generalized for their behavior or riding styles or for modding their rides.
Driving modded cars and bikes at crazy speeds + violating traffic rules just so a vlog can be posted is something that has been criticized on tbhp as well, often enough. I guess the Kerala cops just had enough of this after a long time, especially given that most of the roads in their state are two lane, ghat etc where extra caution is required.

Yes they should also crack down on modded tourist buses, crazily driven trucks etc etc, I know that and you know it. Doesn't let over enthusiastic modders and highway racers off the hook.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Driving modded cars and bikes at crazy speeds + violating traffic rules just so a vlog can be posted is something that has been criticized on tbhp as well, often enough. I guess the Kerala cops just had enough of this after a long time, especially given that most of the roads in their state are two lane, ghat etc where extra caution is required.
Although this crackdown started many months back, it intensified recently since there was a complaint raised by the residents of a colony where most of these cars/exotics are driven rashly (there's been few accidents happening as a result of this). I see this act almost daily (The Porsche video that I shared in Supercars in Kerala was recorded at the same place).

The MVD official that my friend talked to reported that any modifications/additions that are not OE will be classified as a modded vehicle. And they even check if the cars are mapped (My friend was shocked to hear the official's comments/knowledge about this. Looks like they have hired proper car enthusiasts for this crackdown ).
naveen.raju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The MVD official that my friend talked to reported that any modifications/additions that are not OE will be classified as a modded vehicle. And they even check if the cars are mapped (My friend was shocked to hear the official's comments/knowledge about this. Looks like they have hired proper car enthusiasts for this crackdown ).
It doesn't take rocket science for this. They'll see discussions about Wolf Moto and Petes on any such forum, and probably the next step is to tell such businesses to keep out of Kerala, the way they have been warning aftermarket exhaust sellers.

That is very real and possible if they decide the money making from vehicle seizures is all fine but they need real action.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
it intensified recently since there was a complaint raised by the residents of a colony where most of these cars/exotics are driven rashly (there's been few accidents happening as a result of this). I see this act almost daily (The Porsche video that I shared in Supercars in Kerala was recorded at the same place).
Is this around Panampilly Nagar ? It's also the best place to spot all these exotic & modded cars in Kochi. Loud super-bike races do take place at late night in those roads - had witnessed a couple of them myself last year.

Last edited by ampere : 1st April 2019 at 12:42. Reason: formatted for readability
Old 1st April 2019, 13:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The law is the law. Modifications to vehicles are not permitted. The MVD is just doing their job and enforcing the law. That said, I really wonder how they will detect remaps in cars.

Coming to the name of the operation, I feel it gives a biased perspective of the type of clamp down that is happening. I stay in the residential area mentioned in the news article and it is the same place that TBHPian Naveen.Raju (who incidentally was my classmate from school, talk about a small world ) spotted the yellow Porsche. A lot of young guys do gather in the area in the evenings and some of their motorcycles are modified. Many of them appear to be on their first job and their modifications are usually cosmetic with the occasional loud exhaust as well. These guys are mostly hanging out with their friends in public spaces and are not really a nuisance as such to residents. Superbikes arent a regular sight.

But we also get a different crowd in the area as well. These are the well heeled enthusiasts who have modified VW Polo GT TSIs and Maruti Balenos and Mini Coopers etc. The modifications lists on these are usually quite long and the exhausts in particular are quite annoying. Many of them are strongly tinted in clear violation of the law. Some of these vehicles are rashly driven, Ive seen plenty of such incidents myself. The exuberance of youth seems to lead these drivers down dangerous paths of recklessness.

Kerala cops clamp down on modified cars via social media posts!-20180629_154836.jpg
Cars like this are a common sight

Kerala cops clamp down on modified cars via social media posts!-20180629_164629.jpg
Many cars get inexpensive alloys with low profile tires from Chinese brands and spacers for the kicked out look

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd April 2019 at 15:29. Reason: Spacing
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:09   #15
BHPian

On a lighter note, Youths would definitely do this.

Edit the number plate.
New number belongs to enemy.
Post it

On a serious note, Masking the plate would help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks