Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2020, 14:57   #1
rtv

Front parking sensors

I have a rather small garage to park my car into with a two wheeler parked across in front.

I have a just purchased a Grand i10 Nios Sports AMT which comes with 2 rear parking sensors.

I am looking for reliable front parking sensors with the following features

1. Need to show distance to the obstacle and not just beep for I want to get as close as possible while parking
2. Must not beep in bumper-to-bumper traffic i.e could have a turn on/off switch
3. Must require minimal drilling/changes to my 1 month old car

Thanks in advance.
rtv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 17:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front parking sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv View Post
I have a rather small garage to park my car into with a two wheeler parked across in front.

I have a just purchased a Grand i10 Nios Sports AMT which comes with 2 rear parking sensors.

1. Need to show distance to the obstacle and not just beep for I want to get as close as possible while parking
2. Must not beep in bumper-to-bumper traffic i.e could have a turn on/off switch

Thanks in advance.
Look no further, this is the system I used to park my Jaguar in our previous home/garage.
Works perfect, every time.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (53) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 17:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Check out following thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ra-sensor.html

I do have front parking sensors in Yaris but still use some cue from parking area itself to judge actual position. For example, headlight beam on wall gives a sense of how close you are to the wall.
Simhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 18:20   #4
BHPian

Try using the above ideas. Make sure kids don't get at the ball or something though.

I'd say just reverse the car into the garage, provided you already have reverse parking sensors or, if warranty allows, get any ordinary parking sensor kit (most show distance) and install it at the ASS itself or any accessories shop, with a switch.

If you fear your warranty might get void, just practice pulling into your garage naturally. We've parked multiple cars of various lengths in our apartment parking that's not too large, maybe 4.4 x 2.25 metres. Got to take a sharp right to get inside and there used to be our Wego parked on the left of the parking. Just have to get used to it.

Edit- point 1 of your requirements is a given and point 3 is unavoidable.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 5th January 2020 at 18:21.
Old 5th January 2020, 18:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I use edge of the right mirror as reference to park my car. As soon as I see the edge of right mirror aligning with a point on the adjacent wall, I halt the car. This gives accuracy in 1-2 cms that I am okay with.

If your requirement is just while parking at your house in parking space, above solution would work best.

Of course, you may need some one to check the accuracy for first few times and make a small chalk mark on the wall

Last edited by gkveda : 5th January 2020 at 18:40.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 18:56   #6
BANNED

Quote:

I have been using this particular set since more than a year on both my cars and it works like a magic, always accurate and lag free.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3269...65f18fPFnF&s=p

1) It shows the distance - always

2) Beep or not, you can choose it. There is a button behind the screen for the same. Mine is always mute

3) I have myself installed the switch. You have two options; tap it with your brake light (as they suggest) and it will turn on the front sensors whenever you apply brakes. The rear one is connected to reverse light and gets activated whenever the reverse gear is applied. In the reverse mode, all 8 sensors are active.

Note: I have tapped the brake light fuse for rear sensors. Additionally for the front ones, I have tapped the cabin power socket fuse and put a small one way switch for turning front sensors on or off when needed. Use only fuse tapping method to avoid any kind of warranty issues.

You can ask the seller to send you a few extra sensors. Additionally, the drill bit for the sensors comes in the box itself.

Last edited by VKumar : 5th January 2020 at 18:59.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

If your home garage is the only place where you have a problem, I’d suggest revering into the parking slot or doing what Jeroen suggested. I’ve an uncle in USA who uses a stop sign made out of cardboard and he’s placed in such a way that it just touches his ORVM.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 11:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I want to get as close as possible while parking
While the below is not the ideal solution and more of a jugaad, this was pasted by a neighbour of mine for the Beemer in his parking (who faced a similar issue) , using double-sided tape.
It has worked wonders for him. It does not require any electronic circuitry. There's no need to drill the bumper and place sensors, so the car remains aesthetically pleasing.
These make a plastic-y sound on contact.

FOAM SHEET

Last edited by sharktale : 11th January 2020 at 11:50.
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 13:12   #9

May be place a mirror on the floor in the front right corner of your garage such that you can see the front wall through the mirror as you drive in.
sherlocksride is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 13:58   #10
RWD
BHPian

There are several more reliable methods as others have already suggested. Parking sensors will never give you that inch perfect accuracy that you seek.

Here is another method - Roll your car into the slot until the point that you are comfortable with, and then put the car in neutral and push until the last inch. This is what we do in my cousin's parking which is large enough to fit 2 cars back to back, but with only an inch of clearance on either end to allow the main gate to close.

Might I ask, why do you need to park the car nose first? Usually, in such tight spaces reversing the car gives you better manoeuvrability, with the added bonus of rear parking sensors and camera view.
RWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 18:13   #11
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Anchor fasten two wooden planks to your parking floor.

Mark the place where you want them to be so that when you park your car, hitting the planks with the car's front wheels will give you a tactile feedback.

No worries of kids running away with the ball.
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 21:02   #12
BHPian

I believe something like this will work well in your case, isn't it?

nishsingh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 22:57   #13
rtv

Thanks everyone for your very useful inputs

[quote=rtv;4724815] The Grand i10 Nios unfortunately does not show distance with its rear parking sensors. So 1 is not a given.

The reason I park it front first is that I the AMT does not give you full control while parking up a ramp. Hit the brake and it stops all together - even going down the ramp when you release the brakes, press the accelerator and it goes too fast once you finish your ramp. The problem is the same parking front first but at least you see how close you are.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Anchor fasten two wooden planks to your parking floor.
If I have control & ownership of the parking slot (not a rented slot in apartment block road side etc) this is what I'd do surely. The most reliable and fail-safe method. No electronics & precise positioning always.

In fact standard rubberized tyre stoppers for parking slots are available on even Amazon.in at pretty low costs. These are common in corporate office parking spaces now a days & are mighty useful.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 09:07   #15
BHPian

I too have a tricky parking- has a staircase, which will break the bumper if I drive too close
I use bricks placed such that the wheel has to touch it where the car needs to stop. Height of the brick is such that it goes under bumper but will make the wheels stop
You can try this simple method.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks