Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2007, 19:24   #16
BHPian

Hey guys,
I'm geting a heat insulated partition built in fibre for the filters on my ride. It should seperate the engine heat from mixing in. The cold air should come in through the factory ducts (provision for the OE ice box) that comes in just on top of the right mudguard. I'll share some snaps here as soon as i'm done.

About getting the filter down to the bumper sides, just make sure that you dont run into water logged holes or dips.
Old 10th March 2007, 19:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
Hey guys,
About getting the filter down to the bumper sides, just make sure that you dont run into water logged holes or dips.
How are you doing that?? is there enough space for an Airfilter to be placed at the bumper sides??

Godfather
Old 12th March 2007, 05:41   #18
BHPian

hey buddy 16v what your trying to do is already available from K&N as a ready made kit...i dont know if its even worth the effort..and the palio engine bay is so cramped up..im not being negative..i would personally just love to see someone relocate the filter behind the bumper..the palio throttle body is on the opposite side of the air-filter box..so it anyways has such a long pipe which in turn takes time to deliver air to the throttle body from the filter...extending that pipe any further would lead to a performance loss instead of performance gain...the only other way is to buy a flexi-pipe air lead..plonk it in place of the fog lamp and lead the other end next to the air-filter..that would probably bring in some cold air...while the car is in motion mostly...and also the picture that someone posted has an air-intake pipe made for the swift..now if anyone looks at the pipe they can tell that the pipe is hampering the performance of the car instead of increasing it..the rubber hose on the throttle body mouth is half choked and bsides that the pipe is bent in such a horrible manner..that it restricts air flow tremendously..and with an aim to make it a short ram air intake system..the guys didnt realise the filter is in the middle of the engine bay and the only thing that filter will take in is hot air...lol..some performance mod that is..anyways just hope people get more aware and know the difference between right and wrong performance upgrade install...cheers..happy revvin...!!
Old 12th March 2007, 10:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Payam, thats a good install but I feel the filter is prone to suck in a lot of hot air. Not that Rahul's S10 is getting cold air feed. We are planning to relocate this filter to the bumper. Can we meet today evening? I want to see the install in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
@moralfibre: I'm lucky because the Lancer is a straight fit for the 3" original K&N pipe that I had. Just had to chop it up a little.
Thats the issue with the Palio, the stock pipe is 2.5" and the filter takes a 3"!

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th March 2007 at 10:16.
Old 12th March 2007, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

would a scoop on the bonnet or slats as seen in the 124-250 and 300 diesel mercs serve the purpose of the cool air intake?

IM Keeping a close look at this thread!!
Old 12th March 2007, 15:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post

Why isn't anybody considering using one of these?:AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air
It's a small price to pay to prevent a hydrolocked engine.
Old 12th March 2007, 15:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
hey buddy 16v what your trying to do is already available from K&N as a ready made kit...i dont know if its even worth the effort..and the palio engine bay is so cramped up..im not being negative..i would personally just love to see someone relocate the filter behind the bumper..the palio throttle body is on the opposite side of the air-filter box..so it anyways has such a long pipe which in turn takes time to deliver air to the throttle body from the filter...extending that pipe any further would lead to a performance loss instead of performance gain...the only other way is to buy a flexi-pipe air lead..plonk it in place of the fog lamp and lead the other end next to the air-filter..that would probably bring in some cold air...while the car is in motion mostly...and also the picture that someone posted has an air-intake pipe made for the swift..now if anyone looks at the pipe they can tell that the pipe is hampering the performance of the car instead of increasing it..the rubber hose on the throttle body mouth is half choked and bsides that the pipe is bent in such a horrible manner..that it restricts air flow tremendously..and with an aim to make it a short ram air intake system..the guys didnt realise the filter is in the middle of the engine bay and the only thing that filter will take in is hot air...lol..some performance mod that is..anyways just hope people get more aware and know the difference between right and wrong performance upgrade install...cheers..happy revvin...!!
hi dude have u ever done a installation on a carb esteem if yes were there any issues with it.I would like to know since i have got a ractive sf 100 intake and want to get it installed but i m scared to go anywhere because i m worrie d that it would end up in rather messing up my performance and fe.Also has anyone else tried installing a conical air intake on a carb esteem if yes please help me out with this

Last edited by kooldude : 12th March 2007 at 16:00. Reason: Incomplete
Old 12th March 2007, 18:39   #23
BANNED

Hi Ported,

Its a nice product but how many people do you know who would spend approx 3k+ on that. Price aside do you know anyone who sells it here as I doubt it savailable locally. Also due to our road conditions and extreme monsoons people do not install filters in the bumper and would rather do some plumbing from the bumper up to route cold air to the filter.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Why isn't anybody considering using one of these?:AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air

Last edited by viper : 12th March 2007 at 18:40.
Old 12th March 2007, 18:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
how does this thing actually work???
Old 12th March 2007, 21:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
what your trying to do is already available from K&N as a ready made kit...
Were you talking about these kits...
K&N Cold Air Intakes - Leader in Performance Air Intake Technology ???
As i get it there are specific kits for every car. please let me know if you can source one of these for a palio. I would definitely be happy to get one. If you were talking about getting "some" kit and making it suit a palio, i dont think it would be as effective as a custom made one. Also considering the palios cramped engine bay it would definitely be better going for a custom box.

Quote:
i would personally just love to see someone relocate the filter behind the bumper....
I have really not worked on this option and i have never seen it on a palio, but i've seen it on a couple of MIVECs here at chennai. All i was trying to tell was to keep in mind the water logged dips and potholes we might have during monsoons. I would be working something out for the induction on my ride very soon (mostly a heat insulator box - "custom made" and a small air vent on the bonet), but moving it down to the bumper would always be option two. May be i can show you something you would love to see

Quote:
the only other way is to buy a flexi-pipe air lead..plonk it in place of the fog lamp and lead the other end next to the air-filter..that would probably bring in some cold air...while the car is in motion mostly...
While the car is in motion the duct which already exist for the OE ice box itself brings in cold air but your option would definitely be more 'cooler'. But i would not consider removing the fog lamps for these

Quote:
the rubber hose on the throttle body mouth is half choked and bsides that the pipe is bent in such a horrible manner..that it restricts air flow tremendously..and with an aim to make it a short ram air intake system..the guys didnt realise the filter is in the middle of the engine bay and the only thing that filter will take in is hot air...lol..some performance mod that is..anyways just hope people get more aware and know the difference between right and wrong performance upgrade install...
I agree with the hot air intake part, being directly above the engine bay it would definitely suck in hot air but not the rubber hose... I'm not sure on how much you can make out from that snap if the hose is half choked. and "the pipe is bent in such a horrible manner..that it restricts air flow tremendously" Could you please point out this bent...

On the serious note I would seriously like to know whether increasing the length of the pipe would "take time to deliver air" as dragger had mentioned in his post. I mean its not vaccum inside these pipes, is it? The air pressure inside these induction pipes would be the same atmospheric pressure as outside till the engine starts running after which the air inside will be sucked in through the throttle body and fresh air would be sucked in equally fast through the filters. If the pipe is broad enough (the dia i mean) and as long as it doesnt yield under pressure (like the soft rubber hoses), i dont think even bending the hoses would create any issues, untill you maintain the dia at the bends of course. I'll do some research on this myself (have to dig into pascals laws a bit ) and let you know what i find. Please let me know what you guys think about this.
Old 12th March 2007, 22:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to think that there is a tuned intake pipe length specific for each engine. Lengthning or shortening the length of the intake pipe may result in variation of peak power produced a bit, but will probably affect an rpm range more. As in, for a certain engine a shorter pipe may result in a stronger low end whereas a longer pipe for the same engine may deliver a stronger top end.

What I want to know is, would an intake system be considered as a whole when considering the tuning length from the beginning of the filter to the intake valves?

P.S. Bernoulli's equation would help too.
Old 12th March 2007, 23:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to think that there is a tuned intake pipe length specific for each engine. Lengthning or shortening the length of the intake pipe may result in variation of peak power produced a bit, but will probably affect an rpm range more. As in, for a certain engine a shorter pipe may result in a stronger low end whereas a longer pipe for the same engine may deliver a stronger top end.

What I want to know is, would an intake system be considered as a whole when considering the tuning length from the beginning of the filter to the intake valves?

Ported you are right there is a tuned cold air iatek system and it does make a diff in power.. But then sucking in hot air from the engine compartment does worst damage as the air sucked in is not dense and hence the O2 content is less which will cause the ECU in turn to inject lesser fuel and hence reduction in power...
Old 12th March 2007, 23:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
As in, for a certain engine a shorter pipe may result in a stronger low end whereas a longer pipe for the same engine may deliver a stronger top end.

its the vice versa of what you said, longer pipe aids low and mid end
Old 12th March 2007, 23:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
its the vice versa of what you said, longer pipe aids low and mid end
I'm talking about intake pipe, that starts from the TB to the filter. Not talking about intake runners, that run from the plenum to the ports.

Besides I don't think there is a thumb rule for intake pipes unlike the runners, only dyno would tell.
Old 12th March 2007, 23:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I'm talking about intake pipe, that starts from the TB to the filter. Not talking about intake runners, that run from the plenum to the ports.

Besides I don't think there is a thumb rule for intake pipes unlike the runners, only dyno would tell.
Googled it and found this doc..
Check out the Engine Intake Manifold Design in this document - www.engr.uconn.edu/ece/SeniorDesign/projects/ecesd01/sp01_reports/sae_final_sp01.doc

Last edited by 16v100bhp : 12th March 2007 at 23:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks