Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 16:41   #1
BHPian

Regarding electronic jacks and air inflators

Didn't see any previous thread on this topic so hope it is not a repeat thread....

I'm keen on getting the automatic air compressors/tire inflators and car jack that run off the 9-12V cigarette socket in the car. This would be for my dad as my parents travel a lot and with age catching up, I don't want him to strain himself in case of puncture.

My question is, can anyone tell me if these are really useful and what would be the approx cost? From Ebay, I've notice prices for the air-compressors are around 3.5 K.
Old 28th March 2007, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

all these air compressors are majorly made in china stuff...they work for a few times and the die.....cost about Rs 500.....

dont know about the 3.5k one....
Old 28th March 2007, 19:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

this is a bit of a stupid suggestion but why not check out tubeless tyres. ater they get punctures u can still drive around for a bit. at least till the nearest tyre repair shop.
Old 29th March 2007, 00:00   #4
BHPian

i think the compressor and tubeless tyres is the best solution !! cuz anyways the most difficult job is not to lift the car its to open the nuts thats more tedious so getting a hydraulic jack wont really help!! i'd say even if the compressor lasts 4 fills its worth it for 500 bucks!!
Old 29th March 2007, 00:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont think old people would stick to the idea of plugging in the compressor & operating it. Would rather call someone & get it done. Get them a cellphone. LOL
Old 29th March 2007, 01:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well just saw one today, and it managed to inflate a Safari without having to be put up on a jack! The owner was very happy with it, and he is someone to trust on such matters. If you want, I can find out the price. It won't be above the eBay bracket.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:34   #7
BHPian

I bought one such pump from eBay and the time when I really needed it in the morning the nozzle clamp (a plactic one in this case) came in my hand and the pump has been lying useless since then. I would have paid a little more if the quality of these pumps was bearable.
Old 29th March 2007, 08:45   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys. All your replies have been very informative. Right now tubeless tires is not an option. They drive between small towns, so incase of tire problems, finding someone to fix tubless tires would be a problem.

V1p3r, I would really appreciate if you can find out the price so that I have a rough estimate. Strangly, many of the car accessaries shops don't have these items. Then again maybe I've not asked the right shops.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

The 12V air pums are pretty much useless. I have seen customers complaining about those. Foot pump is more reliable. I think michellin has a 12v pump. Bit costly though, i think should be reliable. Don't go for unheard brands. They just don't work and takes a HELL LOT of time to fill the air. By the time it fills the air, you can roll the tyres to nearest tyrewalla and come back. Check out Halfords uk site. They sell decent brands i think!!
Disclaimer:- I haven't used these. But i have read a lot of customer reviews on these. Haven't read a review on michellin. May be no one bought it!
Old 29th March 2007, 11:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Right now tubeless tires is not an option. They drive between small towns, so incase of tire problems, finding someone to fix tubless tires would be a problem.
Easier way is to carry an extra tube in the car. If the tyre really deflates then ask any of the tyre guys to remove the tubeless valve & put in the tube, your tyre will work just fine.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:57   #11
DRC
BHPian

This post may not be useful, but a good read.

My friend bought one 12V air pump from Malaysia. On the demo session, he connected the hose to the tyre and the 10 feet cord to the 12V outlet, soon we could see the machine jumping around the area like a frog, snapped the hose from the tyre. All our efforts to get hold of that crazy frog was futile. finally it pulled the 12V plug also and finally came to rest.
Old 29th March 2007, 13:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

LOL, Man, that was a riot.
Old 29th March 2007, 14:38   #13
BHPian

He He He.... All you needed then was any song of Crazy Frog (suggested - Popcorn) to be playing at that time, to go with the jumping pump
Old 29th March 2007, 17:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

i have one bought from marks & spencers,uk (cost 5pounds). which has a switch to select the pump or a light, working fine till now, every week i check air in all four tyres. you do have to hold it while operating, and it has a maximumm continious operating limit of 10 min.
power tools are also available for opening wheel nuts and there is electric and hydraulic jack for lifting the tyres.
go for tubeless if possible. keep a emergency tyre repair can and a pump. you can run the car for 100 kms with a puncture. you can also keep a tubeless tyre repair kit . any tyre walla can be instructed on how to use it. you just need his air compressor.
dont but the 500 rupees ones available in most shops. it will fail soon.i had one of that kind. good ones in india i saw costing 2500.
Old 29th March 2007, 17:15   #15
BHPian

DriveR, i have been using one from Taiwan, this was bought in a car shop in Taiwan by one of my friends travelling there.

on conversion, it was only 800 Indian Rupees.

I have been using it regularly since 6 months on my OHC (I check or refill air pressure every weekend). have had no issues with it. since i bought it i have never ever Q'd up for filling air. and is very useful when i go to a village that i visit often.

though the compressor has a pressure gauge, i also had an old but calibrated and reliable pressure gauge, which i use to check the pressure, there is no difference between what is shown on the gauge on the compressor and the good one.

the ones on eBay should help / come in handy.

Last edited by gbpscars : 29th March 2007 at 17:18.

Most Viewed